“Good hotel in old Delhi”

Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk
Ranked #88 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Paris, France
“Good hotel in old Delhi”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is very good in his range: well-located, good service and correct bedrooms in term of space and cleanliness.

We came from the airport and the hostel arranged the ride by cab for fee (included in the room price). We arrived at 1 o clock in the morning, but found nice people there, ready to cook warm food for us, which was very nice as we were starving.

people were nice and helpful.

Breakfast was also tasty and typical.

Globally the price were very low for Delhi, and I got from disucssions with other travelers that you can actually pay much more than Tara palace hotel and get a service from a much lower quality than what we had there.

The location is good to visit old Delhi, although the street of the hotel is a bit scary! and as strange as that may sound, it is very quiet.

if you are looking for great comfort, that might not be the place :) but this is completely fine as budget hotel. I recommend it for 1 or 2-nights stayers!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Redmond, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The hotel is located a short walking distance from Chandni Chowk down a suspect looking alley way. Do not let this shy you away. The hotel is very clean with basic rooms and great veg food. The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again. For 35$ a night in Old Delhi this was quite the bargain. Enjoy dinner on the rooftop if weather permits. You get a wonderful view of the Red Fort and Jama Masjid. Also the hotel is very quiet for being located in such a busy area of the city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
West Yorks, UK
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year and forgot to review it :) Ovbiously it couldn't have been that bad overwise I wouldn't have been back.
It's proximity to both the Red Fort & Jama Masjid makes it suitable to shortlist if being close to those sites are important.
The hotel is not that easy to find at first - You'll find it down a small alleyway off Esplanade road.
Overview of the place - Polite staff. Pretty clean - they even have the toilet lid taped down with paper, saying sanitised for your protection :)
My room had a fan, and air con unit, both working. I didn't get to try the restaurant.
One major gripe (this time only) was the doorman. He gave me the hand to mouth gesture a couple of times. Does the hotel feed their staff? Really though, It made me feel uncomfortable to the point where I'd ignore him or try to rush by.
Free internet/computer in available just inside the hotel entrance.. but I gave up using it after said member of staff kept trying to draw my attention from outside the window.
I stayed two nights, but through my own fault, had to book each night seperately. Using agoda, I paid R1000 for the first night and R2000 for second. Hardly good value at the normal rate.
Would I stay again? I'm not sure, I've seen all the sites in this area and I've stayed in better, cheaper places.

Room Tip: Tips? Dunno. Bring a few extra rupees for the doorman?
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
, Manager at Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Our management would like to apologize on part of the actions performed by the doorman. Any sort of such behavior is highly discouraged among the staff at our hotel. And we promise not to disappoint you on your next visit :)

We are glad you returned to our hotel and found it good,
Best Regards,
Tara Palace Team
Mullumbimby, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed in Old Dheli overnight and caught the train to the international airport the next day. A very hand way to get to the airport without driving through the Dheli streets. You have to change at New Delhi central station but it was easy.
Take The subway to Chandi Chouk, the hotel is a rickshaw ride away. about 50 rupees for one. We had 2 rickshaws because of bags. The staff were very helpful and dispite the very poor street entrance the hotel is very clean and comfortable. We had a nice beer on the roof with pleasant views.
Restaurant was adaquate.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Sure, its up an alley , ask the driver to walk you to the door. The room was the best room I had whilst in India, big, clean, comfy bed, great A/C. Hot water is limited hours but you only have to ask and they will switch the heater on, it takes 10 mins and is no problem at all. Breakfast was good and room service meals were fantastic, both taste and value. Free wifi was a bonus and the hotel pick-up, again free was spot on , even though my flight was an hour late landing around midnight. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo