Yatri House
US$ 69
US$ 108
US$ 92
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Amax Inn(New Delhi)(Great Value!)
US$ 21
US$ 18
  • Restaurant
The Lodhi(New Delhi)
US$ 323
US$ 262
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2009

After three hectic weeks of backpacking around India, my boyfriend and I were looking forward to a QUIET, CLEAN hotel in Delhi.

Yatri was a GREAT find!! For a reasonable price (compared to other Delhi) hotels, we got a fantastic room in a great location. The reservation process (called Sanjay, the owner) was simple and easy. Our room was clean with a fully working tea/coffee maker, hot water, big screen tv. The rate included a HUGE DELICIOUS breakfast, all I want free tea and mineral water, WIFI and 1 airport transfer.

The house is a 15 minute walk from Connaught Place and was a challenge for rickshaw drivers to find... but as I learned this is always the case in India and the location right next to the Delhi heart and lung institute is about as good a landmark as it gets.

I would highly recommend this hotel and am very glad I stayed here!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My husband and I made our first ever trip to India at the end of August/beginning of September. We flew into Delhi and spent our first two nights at Yatri. After 10 days of train travel (Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi), we stayed for one last night at Yatri before our departure home.

The location is convenient to the Main Bazaar and to Connaught Place. Other reviewers are spot-on with their assessment of the metro - it is not a far walk and can make your life a lot easier than negotiating with auto-rickshaw/taxi drivers. A brief note of caution about Connaught Place: many young men will approach you, ask where you are from and what your travel plans are. They will then try to lure you to an "official tourism office" for a "free map." Don't be fooled. These offices are not official and do not offer free maps. They are generally in the business of trying to talk you out of any travel arrangements previously made so that they can make their own arrangements for you. Case in point: we were repeatedly told that taking the train was a terrible idea (it was dirty, unreliable, etc.) and that we could be better served to hire a private car through their office. In reality, our train travel was one of the highlights of our experience!

The main bazaar is fun shopping (bags, shoes, lightweight cotton clothing), but bargain hard! We walked through it on our way to delivering some kids clothing to Salaam Baalak, an organization that provides for kids (http://www.salaambaalaktrust.com/).

The Yatri accommodations were more than adequate. We had a spacious room with a door to the inner courtyard. In our room was a fan that looked like a jet propeller (and was equally strong), A/C, a large TV, chairs and side table, desk and chair, bed, and bathroom.

A few things that deviate from the western hotel experience: (1) The shower is the kind that is open (there is a shower fixture coming out of the bathroom wall and a drain in the floor). This appears to be a standard shower set up in India. I am a bit of a germophobe so I wore shower shoes, but our entire bathroom was very clean. Don't forget to turn on your hot water tank if you want a hot shower. (2) Our queen sized bed was two twin beds pushed together with a common coverlet, but separate sheets. This also appeared to be a common scheme from our experience, but was something that I found interesting and took note of.

With regards to customer service, the management was flawless. Each morning, we had breakfast in the inner courtyard and touched base with the owner (Sanjay) about our travels. Breakfast was a real treat (yogurt with muesli, omelette, coffee, tea, toast, jam, etc.) Sanjay usually came down while we were eating and would ask whether our room was satisfactory and if we needed anything. He was extremely gracious and proved to be incredibly helpful (allowing us to store our bags and helping arrange transportation to and from the airport). The staff was always present to assist us and was incredibly friendly. (Note: we didn't use the computer, but there is a small library and computer with internet connectivity available for guests).

As a first time traveler to India, I must confess that I found myself completely overwhelmed the first day and could not properly appreciate how fortunate we were to stay at Yatri. However, I must add that after visiting other cities in India (mentioned above), I quickly realized what a gem of a property Yatri is and would certainly stay there again in our future travels to India. I highly recommend it to anyone with plans to stay in Delhi!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick N
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Reading some of the reviews about Yatri House feels like people are talking about a different place. How can Lonely Planet say such wonderful words about it?? There is nothing good about this place: my room was incredibly dirty, a broken armchair, a wardrobe so close to the bed that the doors could not be open, the air conditioning was very loud and the drains in the shower were blocked! But it had an immense flat screen TV. We don't go to Delhi to watch television, use the money to get a better mattress (and mattress cover, please!!) and good sheets instead. The owner, Sanjay, asked me "is everything alright in your room Madam?" (as if the room deserved the pomposity of his voice), I said the drains were blocked and he got his man to take a look. It remained the same, so we had to take a shower in stages, so that the water would not overflow to the bedroom. Before paying I asked for a discount due to the blockage and the fact that we only had 1 breakfast (stayed 3 nights) due to early starts, but the reply I received was "no way, if you stay 1 night or 10 nights you pay the same price". I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank LilaLondon
Reviewed 1 September 2009

A good mid-range guest house not far from the centre of New Delhi. The owner and staff were very helpful and very welcoming. The guest house is quite close to the Delhi metro (quicker and cheaper than autorickshaws). It is only a couple of minutes walk from the Main Bazaar road. And above all, its quiet at night - a nice safe refuge from the hectic life that is Delhi.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BobBelgium
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Quiet location in the middle of everything in Delhi. Great staff and owner. Mature travelers from around the world as guests. Service, meals, cleanliness, and quality of rooms were impressive. The owner and his family live upstairs (but all guest rooms have separate entrance and privacy), and the friendly staff are always milling about for any questions or assistance you might need. If you are looking for a B&B-like atmosphere and want to feel a bit at home away from home, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)