“Best Bakery in Delhi.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 66 Bakeries in New Delhi
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 7
Cuisines: Italian, French, Indian, German
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Street Parking, Takeout
Description: One of the oldest bakery in Delhi offering all kinds of fresh breads, cookies, pastries, viennoiserie, confectionaries, snacks, moulded chocolates, designer and speciality cakes, dry cakes, customised gifts, etc.
New Delhi, India
“Best Bakery in Delhi.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My favourite bakery in town.Simply love it.I have recently started visiting Defence Colony branch of the bakery and for all the special occasions ,the cake comes from this bakery.There is huge variety of biscuits,breads,pastries and cakes available.I am a fan of chocolate and have always bought dark chocolate cakes.Never disappointed with their cakes,they are always fresh and yummy.The pastries are very nicely priced.
The staff too is very jovial and do a good job.Their service is good.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ssimran
DefBak, Defence Bakery Customer Relations Team at Defence Bakery, responded to this review, 5 January 2016
Dear Ssimran,
Thank you for your review and your loyalty towards our Bakery. We are delighted we can be part of your celebrations through the products we are offering. We are working hard to make sure that we fulfil the promise to deliver high quality products which are value for money and improve the customer service all the time.
Hope to serve you again soon,
Defence Bakery Customer Relations Team
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Mohali, India
“!! A top notch Bakery !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

As I am writing this review, even the thought of this place makes my mouth water. For so many years I have lived in different parts of Delhi, but always cum here for the special cakes for special occasions. Their pastries (especially the chocolate walnut pie - my favourite..... And the banana upside down cake - my wife's favorite) and their sandwiches, patties are all very fresh and tasty. !! MUST VISIT !!

1 Thank SunnyHoneyBunny3
Dear SunnyHoneyBunny3,
Thank you for your review. We highly appreciate your opinion and we are happy to be part of your special occasions through our cakes and other products. Thank you for recommending our place and we hope to serve you soon again,
New Delhi, India
“Hated the frozen cheesecake (sigh!)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Like scientists attempting to identify the deal behind Black Holes, I wander from bakery to restaurant in an attempt to find the perfect cheesecake to mark the beginning of my book on the "best places to eat desserts in Delhi NCR", the focus being on Cheesecakes. Defence Bakery was recommended to me by a fellow foodie and hence it had to be tried.

When I'm at a bakery or a restaurant nibbling on something I've just ordered, I occasionally nick bits of food off the plates of my friends and family in an attempt to taste as many things as I possibly can for my reviews.

Sometimes I glance at the restaurant's menu for hours. I'm constantly thinking. My eyes wander from dish to dish in at attempt to learn as much as I can about it by reading about it, asking questions and finally by tasting it. Writing about food is hard work. I'm always trying to work out what I can say differently about the same cheesecake, the same chocolate truffle and the same pineapple pastry. I am lucky though, because most of the time what I taste is so different to what I've already experienced that writing about it becomes easy.

There was a moment during my visit to the Defence Bakery when I stopped, my spoon held aloft, and stared incredulously at my most favourite thing the the world, "cheesecake" and felt rather dismayed. It was rock solid!! I was given a frozen cheesecake. I got it packed, waited 30 minutes and made another attempt to eat it - still frozen! When I finally ate it there was no dismal wow factor but there was some woah.

Defence Bakery was established in 1962 and has several branches in Delhi. It is one of the oldest bakery in Delhi offering all kinds of breads, cookies, pastries, confectionaries, snacks, chocolates, cream cakes, dry cakes and customized gifts. It is probably the Def Col version of Wenger's but with distressed edges and looks like a wholesale store, its stuffed with baked goods. The portion sizes are teeny. I have never seen a smaller Chocolate Truffle in my life (and I thought I woundn't have anything new to say for this review). The Blueberry Cheesecake too, besides being frozen was small. The Chocolate Truffle tasted fine but did not blow my mind - I believe it would have tasted better if it was microwaved for 30 seconds - ah well!

The place has Sandwiches with creamy chicken and fresh bread and Kathi Rolls that taste good but are not exactly Kathi Rolls they are actually minced chicken pieces in sauce rolled in home made paranthas and are quite dry. I felt like I was consuming the healthy version of a Nizam's Kathi Roll. It didn't taste bad , however, I just did not imagine a Kathi Roll to be 100% fat free.

The bakery has no place to sit so we ate all the goodies in our car because I couldn't wait to try everything. Everything was packed perfectly and other than the frozen cheesecake (sigh!) everything was decent. It isn't food that would stop me from eating for a moment and close my eyes to savour each bite but I did take a lot of pictures so you can decide what you would like to try when you are at Defence Bakery.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank ShivangiReviews
DefBak, Customer Relations Team at Defence Bakery, responded to this review, 5 January 2016
Dear Shivangi,
Thank you for your valuable opinion via this review.
We would like to sincerely apologize for the cheesecake which should have never been served frozen. In such case we wish you had given it back and complained right away as that must have been a failure from our side which we would address immediately.

We are sorry to learn about your disappointment regarding the size of our pastries. The sizes are standard, however we do understand as they heave not met your expectations.

We can assure you that our focus is on constant research and improvement of our recipes in order to keep the high quality of our products. Our production process follows standard operation procedures to ensure these. However, tastes are individual and we do understand that the snacks have not met your expectations. We can only promise to keep the hight standards of our products prepared according to our chef recipe which might vary from other chef's you have tried and liked more.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the space in our Bakery. We are sorry for the inconvenience experienced due to lack of sitting space. We are working towards addressing this matter in the near future in order to make the customer's experience in our Bakery always better.

We are fully committed to the satisfaction of our customers who are our challenge, inspiration and motivation. Therefore your shared feedback is a driver for us to keep working on the products, customer service and overall ambiance of our Bakery.
In any time please feel free to contact us at careatdefencebakeryditin or via website form