“not good, not too bad” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #170 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
Ghent, Belgium
“not good, not too bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is a though one. As a business traveler I do not have a lot of experience with budget backpacker style hotels, so it took me some time to rate this hotel in a fair way. There are definitely good things to say about this hotel. It is very close to the central railway station. The hotel’s airport pickup was waiting for me and the driver took me straight into the hotel, which is possibly difficult to find in the dark. There is AC (haven’t tested it) and there is a nice flatscreen television in the room. Those are the good things.
At first, the room looked reasonably clean, but my white slippers looked filthy after 2 nights of wandering from the bathroom to the bed. The price for the airport pickup was 100 roupies more than what was told me on the phone (airport parking fee, sir!).
The room had a window that could not be closed completely. The fighting street dogs kept me awake all night. Take your earplugs when you go there!
There was no hot water in the shower.
The 2 nights were booked and prepaid through an internet website. When I checked out, it took some time and email proof to convince the receptionist that the room was already paid for.
The price paid was more or less OK, but there certainly are places with better quality places for less money. I think my next stay in Delhi will be in a different hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Travelled a fair bit and stayed in some dumps and palaces. This was neither. It was fine for a couple of nights and the staff were very helpful. If I was on a budget again I would stay here but to be honest for a little more there's much better available. A good location for the back street shopping of the area.
Oh and double check the exact location first - we had huge problems getting taxi drivers to find it and always had to direct them to it. Had a nightmare on our first night.
My ratings are in line with what we paid not how I'd compare it to other places

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ade74
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is an OK hotel if you're not picky and on a budget. You get what you pay for - but nothing more. When we arrived we got to choose between two rooms, and there was cockroaches crawling on a tray outside one of them, we chose the other one. And we found a few cockroaches during our stay. We had clean sheets and towels, but no hot water. The cleanness of this hotel was OK, but far from good.

The food was ok, we could choose continental/American/Indian breakfast.

The hotel had good service and provided us with a taxi upon request, and the driver was very nice and helpful, ask for Deepak (he is amazing). I would recommend taxi if you go sightseeing, New Delhi is huge and renting a taxi is a cheap, nice and comfortable way to do your sightseeing. We didn’t spend much time in our hotel after all, so the hotel was ok to stay in.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The floor to wall dull grey alabaster (poor man's marble) throughout the hotel reminded me of many a hotel built in the 70s behind the iron curtain - if you don't know what I mean, just think: cold to c  'nthe touch, cold to the eye. My 1200R, after negotiated discount, bought me a delux windowless room (I sneaked a peek into another room, and think that delux simply buys a flat screen TV, rather than a CRT). The tiny window in the bathroom, flashed a bright red at night - the neon hotel sign outside. The shower was double weak (I seem to have grown obsessed with showers here in India, but after a day in the smoke, dust and dirt, their quality grows in importance) and ultimately never really past tepid. Bedding, as per usual in this country, is never changed, and nor is there any room tidying. However, the porters were friendly and on it, the manager friendly, the food very good, and the onsite travel agent was the only person in Delhi able to get me a ticket to Agra the next day without either trying to charge an arm and a leg, or trying to get me to buy a trip (cost 12000R), because "everything else is booked Sir". WIFI is available, but costs 55R per hour. Would I stay again? Probably not, but that's only because, next time, after Dehli's filthy, crazy, mad streets, I'd spend a little more to get a little more luxury.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank krys_k
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Much prefer to stay on the madness that is the Main Bazar (one street south) but the Chand was a nice relaxing and upscale hotel (based on what's around). No restaurant to speak of but the staff here are EXCELLENT and would run to any restaurant in town if you smiled broad enough. Rooms were amazing, GREAT hot water here, although I experienced a few issues with the roaches...I know it sounds like I've never been to India before but they were pretty bad in our 1st floor room.

Kept some luggage here for a week n a half too. Zero issues.

Not as nice for night life as it's basically hotel alley. If you're into mixing it up best to get a place at the Main Bazar, try Anoop Hotel. I would come back to Chand.

Cheers from Toronto