“Maybe not so much of a palace” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Chand Palace
Ranked #170 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
London, United Kingdom
“Maybe not so much of a palace”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The floor to wall dull grey alabaster (poor man's marble) throughout the hotel reminded me of many a hotel built in the 70s behind the iron curtain - if you don't know what I mean, just think: cold to c  'nthe touch, cold to the eye. My 1200R, after negotiated discount, bought me a delux windowless room (I sneaked a peek into another room, and think that delux simply buys a flat screen TV, rather than a CRT). The tiny window in the bathroom, flashed a bright red at night - the neon hotel sign outside. The shower was double weak (I seem to have grown obsessed with showers here in India, but after a day in the smoke, dust and dirt, their quality grows in importance) and ultimately never really past tepid. Bedding, as per usual in this country, is never changed, and nor is there any room tidying. However, the porters were friendly and on it, the manager friendly, the food very good, and the onsite travel agent was the only person in Delhi able to get me a ticket to Agra the next day without either trying to charge an arm and a leg, or trying to get me to buy a trip (cost 12000R), because "everything else is booked Sir". WIFI is available, but costs 55R per hour. Would I stay again? Probably not, but that's only because, next time, after Dehli's filthy, crazy, mad streets, I'd spend a little more to get a little more luxury.

• Stayed December 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank krys_k
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Much prefer to stay on the madness that is the Main Bazar (one street south) but the Chand was a nice relaxing and upscale hotel (based on what's around). No restaurant to speak of but the staff here are EXCELLENT and would run to any restaurant in town if you smiled broad enough. Rooms were amazing, GREAT hot water here, although I experienced a few issues with the roaches...I know it sounds like I've never been to India before but they were pretty bad in our 1st floor room.

Kept some luggage here for a week n a half too. Zero issues.

Not as nice for night life as it's basically hotel alley. If you're into mixing it up best to get a place at the Main Bazar, try Anoop Hotel. I would come back to Chand.

Cheers from Toronto
Derek

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I returned to the Chand Palace hotel in July for a 2 week stay. It is an excellent "base" for the railway station, the main bazar in Paharganj (worth a visit for a different experience) and only 5 minutes by auto to Connaught Place (10 minutes walking which I discovered walking several times during cooler times). My room was a deluxe room with flat screen TV with over 80 channels, air conditioning and ceiling fan. It was very clean and tidy and I had towel replenishment daily. The food as ever was delicious and always delivered promptly and piping hot. Masala Chai is a must! The prices are also great value for money. Although the Front Desk staff had changed since my last trip, I was always greeted with a smile and the staff were very helpful and friendly. All the staff at the Chand Palace were very accomodating and polite and are extremely hard working, room service is available 24 hours a day!! I hired a car for the day through the sister hotel tour operator, Mr Sunil who provided an air conditioned car to cater for my sight seeing needs at a very reasonable price. I also went on a weekend trip and the staff allowed me to store my heavy luggage whilst I was away. Very courteous and helpful all round. As ever the Chand Palace continues to be an excellent place to stay and I will be back again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank CleoCairo
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

i have stayed in this hotel on june 3rd from june 6th with my family it has been a pleasent and desent experience for me. my family was also very happy with the food service and cleaniness. i would recomend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: worth staying for!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank john2000nyc
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

while they were nice enough to grant me an 8am check in, I got a windowless room somewhere in a corner. (I definitely saw much nicer, empty (!) ones while passing). The bathroom was not spotless either, but what irritated me most was that after sleeping for a few hours I called roomservice, and immediately after was called by "Guest Services" to see if I wouldn't want to go on tour.
I did not as this was not my first time in Delhi, but even if it was this would have put me off.
The next morning I called roomservice again for breakfast before leaving, and after waiting for 45 minutes and another phonecall I had to give up as my transport was waiting.
Regardless, they made me pay.
Underwhelmed by the "hospitality" of this hotel, and as this is part of a chain I wonder what they are trying to carry out.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo