“Fantastic - do not miss this!”
Review of Food Tour in Delhi

Indian Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 188 Shopping in New Delhi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer customised food tours, cooking classes, photography walks, and shopping tours in Delhi city These tour services are meant for tourists who want to explore authentic Indian cuisine, sights, heritage and charms of new and old India. We listen to what guests really want and design our tours according to their needs. Our focus is on promotion of real Indian cuisine and culture as experienced by residents of New Delhi. The tours showcase best of Indian sights and food served by reputed food vendors who have been in business for 3 or more generations at the same spot. With us, you'll get the real India experience. Number of dishes included in our food tours vary between 15-30 depending upon type of food tour chosen. Guests can also combine these food tours with photography walk, tea tasting and many other exciting activities. Free pick up and drop facilities from hotel in air-conditioned vehicles, bottled water, wipes, sanitizer are included in tour price at no extra cost. Food safety and hygiene plays a very important part in everything we do and all of food vendors included in our tours have impeccable reputations for good food and hygiene.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We did this tour as a group of 6 friends whilst backpacking in India.
Whilst quite pricey on a backpacking budget I can honestly say it is well worth the money!

Rajeev and JD are great hosts and good fun to spend a few hours with; and most importantly showed us some exceptionally good food in Delhi.

The food is varied and consistently good, and served from spots you are unlikely to find as a tourist - I had been to Delhi a couple of times before and had no idea these places existed!

We especially enjoyed the tour around Old Delhi, which is amazing but can be a bit overwhelming if you don't know where you are going, so it was cool to be led around and fed!

The kulfi stop will live long in the memory - Recommended.

4  Thank Dan D
DelhiFood T, Manager at Food Tour in Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Namaste and thanks for taking the time to write this review. Doing the tour with you guys was a pleasure and we learned a lot too.
Thank you once again.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Jaidev was so much fun and so serious about showing us a good time. We went to Old Delhi, New Delhi, and several places in South Delhi. Everything was so delicious, and even though Jaidev was strict about not eating too much, I still ran out of room. My husband and I learned so much about Indian culture, and everything we tried was terrific. I would recommend this tour to anyone who loves food.

3  Thank Barbara H

Hello,

Thank you very much for this excellent review. It's really nice to know that you enjoyed the food tour even after being full.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This tour was the first thing on my India itinerary, and it ended up being a benchmark that was tough to break! Jaidev and Raj are outstanding people who have created a tour that is fun, fascinating, insightful, unique, 100% safe and secure, tasty and filling!

Raj’s self proclaimed “food religion” definitely stood out – I have been to subsequent food tours in India where I was disappointed by comparison – not because they were bad, I still enjoyed them – but they were not food experts and there was no insight. I’m no food expert, but I do enjoy learning about where certain foods come from, their significance in culture and any stories related to them.

Raj and Jaidev are clearly passionate about what they do and their attention to detail and care of the group is exceptional – some of the best service I’ve experienced anywhere in the world, and that’s not easy to say in India unless you pay through the nose.

If you think the price is steep then I can assure anyone this is an absolute bargain: you get driven around Delhi (old and new), door to door service, walk around fascinating places you just would not find by yourself, thorough explanations and insights about India and Delhi, and of course, amazingly delicious food you just wouldn’t a) come across unless you grew up there, b) know if it’s safe c) be able to finish. There are no hidden fees, touts, scams, or tourist shopping at hiked up prices – and, I came to appreciate this more and more the longer I was in India. You do get taken to a shop, as part of my tour at least, that Raj personally uses (for reasons that are made clear once you’re there), but I enjoyed even that part. It’s thoroughly legit and is one for those wanting to buy good spices and tea to take home. At no time did I feel like I was under any obligation, and the owner was extremely hospitable, knowledgeable and nice.

Even trying to tip Raj at the end was more like trying to force him – when you talk to Raj and Jaidev, you will realize they are doing this because they enjoy it, not for the tip.

I really think you get more than what you bargain for here, the experience is friendly, fun, and unique. When the day finally came to an end, I didn’t feel like “I just did a food tour”, but rather “I just had an amazing day with some amazing people . . . accompanied with food I’m probably never going to easily find again.” Which leads me to if there’s just one “bad” thing I have to say, I’d say my stomach will probably never know any better in any given 8 hour period ever again! Thank you guys!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank TheLokster
Food-Tour-Delhi, Owner at Food Tour in Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hey Loki,

It's so nice to hear from you again and that too with help of such a great review. We'd really like to thank you for your company as well as these words of praise. We're really glad to know that you liked and understood all the not-so-obvious parts of tour so well. Thank you once again and we look forward to see you again.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I took this tour with Rajeev on our first full day in Delhi (and the start of our trip) and from the moment we began it was a delight. Rajeev is smart, funny, knowledgeable and most important he is in love with what he is doing and it shows!
Not only were we able to try foods that we'd never tasted before but we learned so much about the history and culture of Delhi and its traditions. A special highlight was visiting the Sikh temple and seeing the enormous kitchens where the volunteers feed thousands each day.
I'm sure there are many food tours available but what makes this one so distinctive is Rajeev's personality and energy. Its almost impossible to remember all the fascinating facts and details he shared and how warm and engaging a person he is.
Another treat was meeting Jaidev. These two young entrepreneurs have taken their passion and created a wonderful tribute to the unique foods of Delhi.
If only we had time we'd do it again!

3  Thank Michelle E
Food-Tour-Delhi, Owner at Food Tour in Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Namaste,

Thank you very much for the kind words and excellent rating. We had been looking forward to meet you and it was a great experience for us too. We'll be happy to take you on another tour with more new places any time.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I can't stop recommending this tour enough (I used to work in India for 9 months)! If you love to eat, want to taste Indian food as it was meant to be eaten, and experience Delhi as a local, Rajeev and his team are the perfect guide.

I only had 24 hours in Delhi and Raj was able to organize an individual tour for me on short notice. As mentioned in previous reviews, tours often go 7+ hours and are only limited by your enthusiasm and the space in your belly! While the tour focuses on the food, there is the perfect mix of culture, community, and cuisine and a bit of light sightseeing helps space the courses of food out. As a trained chef and restauranteur, Rajeev's passion is food and he helps you understand the ingredients, unique preparations, and how it should be eaten (and can also help tailor spice levels and dietary requirements). He's also a wealth of knowledge on the local customs, culture and sights and is all too happy to share with each new group of friends.

Pre-payment was not required, but was done at the end of the tour as Rajeev knows he offers a quality service. While it's not the cheapest food tour, I found it to be the best value when you consider all expenses are included from hotel pickup, transport, food, drinks, the diversity of areas in the city covered, and the duration of the tour. There's no pressure to buy anything or visits to random markets; Raj just charges appropriately for a great tour and delivers!

Finally, Rajeev and his team have clearly chosen eateries where food preparation and hygiene are paramount. His insistent use of hand sanitizer and wet wipes ensured a trouble free trip with no dreaded 'Delhi Belly' acquired. Thanks again, and I look forward to a cooking class with Rajeev on my next visit to Delhi!

Hey Justin

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailed and excellent and detailed review for us. We appreciate it very much. It always a pleasure to meet guests who are as adventurous and interesting as you. We'll look forward to meet you again for cooking class or just a dinner or lunch whenever you're in India next.