2,699 results
All reviews dhaba restaurant vodka bar front lawn jade restaurant sevilla restaurant khan market club room lodhi gardens lovely hotel choice of restaurants diplomatic area breakfast room nice pool india gate an oasis golden triangle five star hotel
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We stayed in the Claridges in Delhi as a first stop on our honeymoon trip through India.
When we arrived at the hotel, we noticed it looked quite nice and well laid out for it's hotel class, until we went to the room.
At this stage it appeared the claridges had lost some of it's former charm.
The staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay, so from that aspect they do have that part down and organised.
However, the rooms were small and wearing down. From our room we had a view over the inner-courtyard and swimming pool, and the rest of the building appears just as run-down and worse for wear.
the bathroom although well equipped and neatly furbished, was still on the small side.
the outside pool area was also a bit on the small side, and sat on an inner courtyard overlooked by the hotel from all angles. The pool itself was well maintained otherwise and served it's purpose.
We had a chance to wander round the rest of the hotel, and found some restaurants connected to the hotel which look interesting and appealing, although we had dinner plans elsewhere for that one night, thus did not get a chance to try them.
As for breakfast, this was well managed and nicely spread, with a good choice of continental and Indian fare.
Overall it's obviously a five-star service, but in a building that is quickly running down and not being maintained.
The hotel needs a refurbishment to match it's staff's efforts.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2008

this was a disappointing experience.... on arriving we had to change the room as the first option stank of smoke... the new room had a leaky bathroom and noisy aircon, although was otherwise decent... the breakfast was good, although there is no excuse for clearing it away at 10.25, when they are meant to be serving till 1030... the staff were generally pleasant and aspired to be helpful, though were often clueless about delhi... the amenities were poorly staffed and substandard: dirty pool, unstaffed business centre, not very good massage... while this wasn't a disaster, I thought for the price they were charging it should have been a lot more slick...

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2008

This hotel was nothing more than average - but quite expensive.

The food was good but average too - but very expensive. We ate out after the first night at a 1/3 of the rate! The rooms were clean but the AC was quite noisy.

They should offer free wifi at the room rates they charge.
The gym is small but well equiped, the sauna average, the whirlpool doesn't work.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2008

A little background first: My husband has been working in India. I flew over to join him in Delhi for a week. Thus we arrived in Delhi from different directions at different times. I arrived at 2am from Australia while my husband arrived at 7pm that evening via an internal Indian flight.

I booked a Club Room with twin beds. The charge including buffet breakfast for two in Pickwicks Restaurant & taxes etc was $368 Australian dollars per night.

As arranged with the hotel via email prior to my arrival, there was a chauffeur-driven car waiting with my name on a sign for me at the airport. This service costs about AU$56 one way.

The hotel check-in service at 3am was well managed and took place in the room rather than the front counter.

A hostess showed me to my room on the first floor which looked exactly as it did on the website. However the photos do not provide smell. As I stepped into the room there was an overpowering musty damp carpet smell. I informed them that I would not be able to stay in the room with this smell. We tried to open the window but this was not possible. Another room - across the hall - was immediately offered as a replacement for the remainder of the night. This room also had carpet and a lingering musty smell but it did have an opening glass door onto a landing overlooking the pool so it was possible to get fresh air. I believe this was a Claridges Room.
As this room had a king sized bed instead of twin beds I informed them that it would not be suitable once my husband arrived. They assured me that another Club Room would be available for me in the morning. When I followed this up after housemaid service in the morning - a Club Room on the 2nd Floor was offered to me. This room had marble floors - no musty smell at all. It was fresh, clean and spacious.

Also, the bathroom in a Club Room is larger than in the Claridges room. It has a separate bath and shower with a large vanity. Whereas in the Claridges room the shower was over the bath and the bathroom was only large enough for one person at a time.

Breakfast in Pickwicks Restaurant had everything you expect in a western buffet breakfast. Fresh & tinned fruit, French yoghurts, cereal, cook your own toast, pastries, breakfast cakes, eggs cooked to order, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms and also Indian breakfast. Staff are eager to please and attentive and even provided us with a container of pastries & cakes when we advised that we were driving to Agra for the day.

Note: It takes 5 hours to drive to Agra from Delhi.

There is a very good Bakery in the hotel. The prices are a little cheaper than in Australia but pricey by Indian standards. However the quality was excellent and ideal if you want a light snack in your room instead of a full meal for lunch or dinner.

Mini bar items are overpriced like every hotel. Although the bottled water was probably the most extreme. I think it worked out at AU $5 for 1 litre bottle. You can buy the same cold at a roadside stall for less than 40 cents. (15 INR).

However 3 x 500ml bottles of water are included in the daily room rate. One in the bathroom to brush your teeth and 2 with the complimentary tea/coffee items.

The staff at Claridges were polite and efficient but I couldn't help feeling that they were always waiting for a tip. Being Australian I am not accustomed to tipping and do it badly. I feel uncomfortable when someone hangs around like a bad smell waiting for a tip. I also felt that they were doing no more than their job and did not warrant a tip (but perhaps that is an Australian attitude)

The housekeeping facilities are very good, with sheets & towels changed daily and toilettries replenished. The only issue I had was with the quality of the towels. I must admit to a towel fettish here, so you may discount my comments if you don't have the same fettish. The towels at Claridges were not up to spec. While they were soft, they were not particularly absorbent and you were left with a slightly damp feeling after using them.

We didn't use the evening turn-down service as it was at 6-6.30pm when we were either in the shower or getting dressed for dinner and didn't want hotel staff in the room at that time.

The internet speed in the Business Centre (3 computers and a dodgy printer in a shabby basement room) is very slow. It was not possible to attach photos or word documents to emails. The system would crash while trying to upload. Short emails were all that was possible. This was a pay per hour service.

So overall: A beautiful, clean, well maintained hotel. The "look" of the hotel is opulent. Staff are polite & efficient as long as your request is within their past experience. The negatives are the poor Internet facilities and the towels.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helen_Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I had a very nice stay at this hotel. The room was nicely decorated with nice ammenities. There is a very modern-clublike bar. I ate at two of the restaurants....the cafe for several meals, and the spanish restaurant which as a very nice outdoor atmosphere. The food was good at both. The hotel arranged an excellant driver. The pool area is pleasant with good service.....I have no complaints with this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business