Serene and peaceful are not he first words that one might associate with New Delhi, so The Claridges is something like a refuge in the middle of chaos.
It’s not a huge property and the location is very good – on a quiet tree-lined street just of Janpath, within walking distance of the Lodi Gardens, Khan Market and Racecourse metro station. You step into the driveway and are enveloped by civility, the green gardens, peace and quiet. The grounds staff are unobtrusively welcoming, giving the whole picture a somewhat ironic colonial feel
The Claridges seems to exude the feeling of quiet empire – for example in the design of the buildings and rooms and the costumes of the staff. The rooms themelves are very sufficient – nice bathrooms with rainforest shower, Gilchrist & Soames amenities, modern controls and big flat screen tv, plenty of drinking water, and turndown tea service. The whole operation works very well.
As the closest convenience is 1.5 Km away at the Khan market, one might have to rely on the hotel for food. But somehow the food isn’t that good. The buffet is of variable quality. The selection is not that wide. The coffee shop isn’t even that big. The menus are made of flimsy paper. This is a five-star hotel?
Lastly, the facilities- there Is a decent bookstore in the hotel. The health club is compact but has the basics. The swimming pool is not that big (perhaps 18 meters end to end) and fills with bodies to fast. Better for a dip than a swim. However, the swimming and gym attendants are very nice. A case of good software, bad hardware!
All in all, I would stay at the Claridges again, because it’s not easy to find comfort and peace in the middle of New Delhi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Claridges, New Delhi is located in the heart of Lutyens Delhi. This gracious three-storied hotel is within close proximity of the business districts, diplomatic missions, shopping centres and historical landmarks like the India Gate and Rashtrapati Bhawan. The hotel offers a wide choice of accommodation ranging from well-appointed, deluxe rooms to luxury suites, some with their own private terrace. The rooms are amongst the most spacious in Delhi and are a blend of classic and contemporary styles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Expedia, ClearTrip, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Claridges New Delhi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Claridges Hotel New Delhi
- Claridges Hotel New Delhi
- The Park Hotel Delhi
- Claridges New Delhi
- Hotel Claridges
- Claridges Hotel Delhi
- Claridges India
- The Claridges Delhi