The Claridges New Delhi
Priceline
US$ 86
US$ 56
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 68/night.

US$ 112
US$ 90
The Lodhi(New Delhi)
US$ 214
US$ 190
2,525 results
All reviewsdhaba restaurantvodka barfront lawnsevilla restaurantjade restaurantkhan marketlodhi gardensclub roomlovely hotelchoice of restaurantsdiplomatic areabreakfast roomnice poolgolden trianglean oasisindia gatefive star hotel
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We stayed for two nights before and one night after our tour of the "golden triangle". Rooms were the standard "deluxe" rooms. Our first room was on the third floor and had a lovely balcony overlooking the tree lined main road. The second room was smaller and on the first floor. Both rooms had wooden floors, nice bathrooms and very comfortable large beds, and both were quiet.

The hotel has a number of restaurants which are all pricy compared to eating outside the hotel, but served good Indian and international food.

Outside, the hotel has a pool which is a reasonable size and a few sunloungers. There are also small gardens at the front of the hotel where they serve tea and light meals.

Service is generally good and efficient.

The location of the hotel in New Delhi is OK. It's a taxi journey anywhere but they're pretty cheap (Autorickshaws even cheaper).

Room Tip: The higher the better seems to hold true.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grundfuttock2
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I booked this hotel purely based on it’s TA score and a special deal that I came across that gave me a very good discount. The hotel staff had a note of my requests and even gave me the chance to choose from a selection of rooms, even a massive suite with a wall view!!!!! I have chosen the room on the top floor just underneath the sign of the hotel with a beautiful terrace overlooking the front garden of the hotel. Despite being April, the 40 degrees Celsius made New Delhi almost unbearable and you depend on rickshaws and taxis as you cannot walk on the street. The room was large, clean and elegant with an ante-room to the right that lead to the wardrobe and the elegant bathroom to the left. The receptionists were all very helpful, friendly and smiling, although I never understood why one guy decided to charge me extra for the brunch after my over night flight arrival some 2,225.32INR when I requested to pay some 2 days later and then refund me some 288.08INR when I checked out. As I had a very late flight to Bangkok, they never gave me the chance to keep the room, despite the hotel being half full, the way other hotels do, but use the Health Club facilities with a very smelly shower when I returned to the hotel and have the guys there annoyingly check on me every 10min!!!!!!

What I liked about the hotel:
- the room as described, with tea/coffee facilities, although never used and lots of other desk facilities hidden in a box: scissor, tape etc but no safe in the room. The breakfast was varied with lots of choices and included in the hotel price. The swimming pool is surrounded by the hotel from all directions, pity was not in a wider, open green space
- the location of the hotel, in the green area of Delhi, walking distance to both Gandhis ‘houses’, which is cleaner that the rest of Delhi
- guide books mentioned to book a taxi before leaving the airport and I found a 1000INR desk right near a 350INR desk and noticed a long queue forming after me. The return taxi to the airport was 500INR and discovered that all the taxis you book at the hotel are very expensive and wondered if there is a ‘trick’ with the Concierge. The drivers start from 150INR despite according to reviews, to Connaught for ex which is some 1mile north, you should be charged 20INR which shoppers there confirmed. The taxi drivers even cover their meters with a cloth but if told that you have to be somewhere in a certain period of time they go so fast as if they have the president in the back seat!!!!! Also no one follows any traffic rules. The rickshaws apply the same trick and could not be bothered to argue with them in the scorching heat, so just handed 50INR. I noticed the Chinese and Russian guests walked directly in the street to pick up a rickshaw.

Things to do:
- if you like mixing with the locals, book a tour with the Delhi tourism and Transportation near the Connaught for 300INR not including the entrances to the attractions where you can be charged anything from 100 to 350INR despite the locals being charged only 10INR (this begs the question: maybe we should do the same in London?) Despite not understanding much of the guide’ English, I guess this was a better option than to use the Hop on Hop off in the heat and then wait for it’s arrival. Also you need the guide’ help if some local father encourages his 5 years old child in his arms to keep coming towards you, although you try to avoid them, and pull your long blonde hair right from the root in a vicious manner to see if it is real!!!!!!!!!! Also a guide’ help is essential to disperse the crowds of 50 people that form in 5 seconds when you try to have the pic taken!!!!! The crowd also takes your pictures to use it as a screensaver on their phones or follow you like mad, like you are a Bollywood star and follow you around for miles!!!!!!!!!! So avoid the weekends!!!!!!!!!
- I found Khan market to have some beautiful accessories in it’s built block right near Good Earth china store and some decent supermarkets where, unlike the other places of Delhi, if a shopper pushes himself in front of you, he will be directed in a civilised manner to the end of the queue. Connaught did not have anything interesting apart from some decent restaurants away from the hotel, and cheaper but was interesting to discover it’s architecture and what civilised things were done hundreds of years before.

What I disliked:
- the constant haggling - they treat foreigners as money givers and therefore easily to be conned
- bad exchange rate at the airport and then lied with a straight face that is the same all over Delhi
- being followed on the street and if repeatedly told not to do it so they try to hurt you, unless some older guy brings some sense out of them
- I heard of other tourists having bags snatched, thank God did not happen to me
- AirAsia airport staff, unlike the cabin staff, is the most unruly, rude and unprofessional I ever saw. Some 8 guys positioned themselves on their desks at the gate, laughing loud for some 40min and talking about customers. They do not know how to deal with matters and prefer to argue with customers over minor issues: then they show how important they are buy posting themselves every 20m to form some 3 security checks!!!!!!!!! Thank God the hotel was OK!

Room Tip: The fortune of not being in high season
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank TERRAvelista
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This is a lovely five star hotel but it is exceptionally expensive (as you would expect). Our suite was enormous, well decorated with a good shower room. The breakfast is very tasty if not a very large area for eating. The only real downside is the pool which requires totally refurbishing as it drags down the rest of the hotel. Also the position of the hotel is okay but the nearest metro helps with regard to travel. So all in all a very nice hotel however I would probably try a hotel nearer to Connaught Place next time

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2011

There is nothing special about The Claridges, though in general it is a perfectly sound 4-Star hotel : certainly not 5-Star in any respects save perhaps for the facilities on offer.

The attitude at reception was one of minimal speaking and general gloom - no smiles anywhere, and considerable disinterest. This was a disappointing start. Thankfully some other staff were very pleasant, especially the more junior ones at the pool and in housekeeping.

Our room overlooked the pool and was of a decent size, clean and nicely equipped. However it was clear that it had not been properly checked by supervisors: the basin plug was broken, water spewed sideways from a broken tap / faucet, some drawers were completely stuck shut, one light was broken and so on..Nothing major, but thoroughly irritating and not acceptable at this price.

The breakfast room is far to small to cope with a full hotel - crowded, slow service and too cramped.On our second day were were offered by the lady at the entrance the startling choice of "...sharing a table with other guests or come back again in ten minutes"! When we refused both options we were directed to the private Club-Room lounge on the first floor where we received an impeccable breakfast with amazing service. So it can be done, but only for a select few...

We dined one evening in the Sevilla Restaurant (Mediterranean food) and were disappointed. We were given a table next to a very noisy external air conditioner hidden in the shrubbery that hummed and groaned throughout, completely destroying any relaxing atmosphere. The food was plenty, but the sauces were so strong and plentiful that they completely swamped the taste of the ingredients - a pity because much care had gone into the preparation. Service was average i.e. fine from the waiting staff but curt and disinterested by the maitre d' and manager.

The pool if fine but has far too few umbrellas (four) for the limited (10) loungers - the vast majority of the poolside area being give over to tables, for those who wanted just drinks or snacks, that were never used at all duration our three days there. Perhaps they are for when guests are excluded due to private parties? Oh! and please do something to break up the dull, concrete barrack-like walls surrounding the pool area - get a good gardener!

I am sorry that this review sounds so very critical, but this is not a pecial hotel as it pretends to be; in so many ways it is pretty ordinary. It has all the airs and graces, but the management's one big fault is that they think that by going through the motions all will be well - and it isn't. They need to really look hard at their product, be far more self- critical and ask themselves if things are REALLY working. It is telling, I think, that there was no guest feedback form in the room, and that after I had put my adverse comments on in the requisite space on my Sevilla dinner invoice, nobody bothered to come back to me to apologize or otherwise make amends.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnWilson
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed at The Claridges with my husband who was in Delhi on business. We both love the hotel (my husband had stayed there before a couple of times). The rooms are wonderful, large and tasteful. There is a great selection of pillows on the bed. The bathrooms are very clean with a great shower and sizable bath. The only drawback is the internet (it is not free and it involves having to call the front desk for support) and they charged us for things from the mini-bar we did not take.
The hotel is not too big. It has a great Spanish restaurant and we also like the Chinese restaurant. The Indian was filled with toursist so we gave it a miss. It is close to Kahn Market (for shops and restaurants)

Room Tip: Very close to the beautiful Lodhi Gardens.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business