“Just like any old tourist hotel”

The Grand New Delhi
Ranked #65 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Kunming, China
“Just like any old tourist hotel”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I believe this hotel was nice, but it didn't have anything to make it different from your average hotel. I would recommemd staying there, but don't if you want something other than a normal hotel.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi.

I am disappointed that The Grand team could not exceed your expectations in any ways during your recent stay with us. Though the hotel has got some great points like –
1) Low rise architecture spread across 10 acres of beautifully landscaped lawns away from the hustle & bustle of the city, yet close to city centre, Airport & other attractions.
2) The Grand is an exceptional blend of a resort like setting equipped with modern design and contemporary comfort.
3) The Grand featuring a spacious white lobby with the panoramic view of cascading water and beautifully landscaped gardens exudes elegance and grandeur. With 390 well-appointed rooms including 24 Business Suites, 1 Presidential Suite and 5 Serviced Apartments. Even a base category room is 430 square feet.
4) Spa Oasis at The Grand with its purifying therapies helps you to relax, invigorate and rediscover your innerself. One of the largest in the region, it is equipped with eight spacious treatment rooms, where guests can choose from an array of personalized treatments and therapies to rejuvenate oneself. It also offers recreational activities like gymnasium, yoga, relaxing steam and sauna, swimming pool and Jacuzzi.
5) Proximity to three most prominent malls offering a wide range of entertainment options, shopping & more than hundred food outlet options across different cuisine.
6) The Grand Ballroom is one of the largest pillar less banqueting facilities available in the city that can host big gatherings and accommodate up to 800 people. The beautifully landscaped outdoor terrace adjoining the Ballroom makes it an ideal venue to host different kinds of small or large business meets, promotions, launches or social events.
7) Lastly highly personalized service from our team gives us an edge & gives our guest a reason to choose The Grand over the other hotels in the city.

We look forward to be granted another opportunity for your stay. Please feel free to write to me directly to help me ensure that you have an exceptional stay this time.

Director of Rooms
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 April 2012

It's a nice hotel with good breakfast and nice rooms, but it definitely does not deserve the 5 star rank. The front desk staff was helpful enough, and the waitstaff was absolutely superb: super friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Also, the lack of free WiFi in such a nice hotel is infuriating and is something that needs to change. Good hotel, but more of a 4* than a 5*.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Guest

We sincerely thank you for your encouraging words of praise for our team during your recent stay with us. I am glad that you find the team members to be helpful, warm & caring.

We have also taken a careful note regarding the internet services to be made complimentary. At this juncture I assure you that your feedback shall be looked into and once again we shall carry out the service offering comparison with our competition set of hotels. Also, I would like to convey that for the club category onwards the internet is given complimentary to our guests but it is only the base category room where the service is charged.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Warm regards

Karkur
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Grand Hotel located not far from the airport and within walking distance from a big, western style (and prices) shopping mall. So, if your need or want to stay at this area, the Grand is a good choice. However if you want to be closer to the main attraction or to Delhi business centers, this location is remote.

As to the hotel, much like all other fancy Indian hotels, the rooms are big, the service is excellent and the food they offer for breakfast and dinner is quite good.

The fitness centre is not one of the best I'd been using comparing to similar hotels, but it has what you need for morning training.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay in New Delhi!!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay & the facilities of our hotel. I have also taken a note of your concern regarding the location of the hotel to be remote mainly from the business centre in the city. I would agree to your point if you really have business towards East Delhi or West Delhi but for places like Connaught place, Nehru Place, Jasola, Saket, Hauz khas, Qutab Institutional Area, Vasant Vihar, Chankyapuri, Airport & Gurgaon, we are just a few Kilometers away. The distance can be covered within 10 to 30 minutes to the destination stated above in normal traffic conditions depending on distance.
We look forward to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and hope the location shall not be hindrance in you choosing The Grand once again for your stay in New Delhi.

Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is a 'grand' hotel in many ways, it is well decorated to a very high standard with all the mod cons. But there are a couple of things that let it down. It is a long way from the main attractions in both New and Old Delhi and there is not much around the hotel if you want to venture out the 'bubble' of the hotel.
But I don't want to put anyone off staying there as if you are happy with the half hour travel into Delhi or are there to relax and use the hotel facilities this is the hotel for you.
Service is of the highest standard and the food is great but the drinks are very expensive, it has a wonderful pool in very nice gardens, just don't look over the wall.
There are three western style shopping malls just a short walk from the hotel with a food hall and a sports bar, but again expensive.
Would we stay there again? Yes if we were passing through Delhi again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our hotel and the services.

My team is dedicated to providing the best stay experience for all our guests and we are very pleased that you felt well looked after during your stay. I have also taken a note of your feedback regarding our location & the prices of drinks, which particularly shall once again be studied personally by me with my Director Food & Beverage.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

London
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Our stay at The Grand in Delhi was unplanned and a s a result of a cancellation of our Virgin Atlantic flight, so we had to spend a further 18 hours in India before flying back to London.

Having endured a 12 hour road trip from Shimla in the foothills of the Himalayas to Delhi and only being made aware of our cancelled flight by text some 3 hours from Delhi we proceeded to the airport and were put on a coach to The Grand Hotel. From the airport we passed through some impoverished areas and so catching first sight of The Grand was a relief as it is set away from the hustle and bustle and looks very classy. Once inside the hotel it is clear that it lacks for nothing and the facilities are superb - BUT unfortunately it is a hotel run by the most unhelpful staff - or at least that is what they chose to be to me and my family.

As reception personnel are the first people guests see upon entering a hotel it is essential that they have a helpful, happy and professional attitude. I can safely say that none of your reception staff came across as helpful or happy. Granted they had to deal with a large number of guests but the 200th guest is just as important as the 1st, and if they cannot understand that then they are in the wrong job! If it was only one person I could handle it, but all the desk staff and management appeared just not to give a damn!

The lady checking us in argued with how many rooms our party of 7 were entitled to and at one point even suggested my older brother share a bedroom with my wife and I - possibly a normal practice in India but not for me. By the way at this juncture I should say that I am a British born Sikh and whilst I detest using a race or religion card, in this instance my assertion is that the staff in particular those at reception chose purposely to treat my family and I poorly because we were Sikhs. I am not an ignorant person and the treatment and respect shown to English Caucasian guests was not afforded to us. Maybe if The Grand's staff didn't judge people on their appearance, but viewed them with equality as guests this report would read differently

It took us around 1.5 hours to be allocated rooms when others were given them in a matter of minutes. As this was not enough we were then insulted further, and the image of my children sick, tired and exhausted laying on the floor in the corridor outside their hotel room as our room keys had not been activated is an image that I find hard to forget. Finally after 2 hours my children were able to shower and get some sleep.

MY room and bed was excellent and like I said I cannot fault the facilities but on trying to sleep I was disturbed by drilling and hammering from the room above, but when I reported it I was ignored by hotel staff. I finally fell asleep through sheer tiredness and but was awoken after only an hour by room service delivering some food to our room we had not ordered. As it happens this was a tray containing six apples, four chocolates and a piece of pista the General Manager had sent up by way of compensation - nice gesture if a little weak, but rubbish timing!

On a plus point the rooms and facilities at The Grand are grand and in fairness the restaurant staff were very professional and should be commended for delivering a high level of service to the same extra 200+ guests that the rest of the hotel staff could not. Chances are if you are English or Caucasian you will be treated with the utmost respect and love The Grand Hotel but alas for those of us who are not it would be better to find a hotel where they dont judge a book by the cover. I am sure my experience of The Grand could have been a good one as I do appreciate qulaity hotels as someone who travels extensively, but the disdain with which my family and I were treated was unforgiveable - I for one would never stay at this hotel of my own accord ever again (even if they paid me).

The television commercials here in UK promote India with the slogan, "Incredible India", but my final memory of India courtesy of The Grand Hotel in Delhi is one of "Ignorant India".

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi. Though I have separately addressed the concern with you but once again would like to apologize for the adverse experience encountered during your stay. I request you to take this instance as an act of aberration, which solely occurred due to last minute unexpected and late night cancellation of your flight.

It is most important to us that all our guests feel comfortable during their stay and I understand that you felt uncomfortable, please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience. Rest assured your feedback is taken seriously, and I will take steps to address your experience and ensure that it does not happen again.

I hope as requested during our mail correspondence, we shall be given another opportunity for your stay with us and I am confident that we shall be able to change your perception about our services. Look forward to welcome you back.