“Nice hotel but item taken from room”

The Grand New Delhi
Ranked #66 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Estoril, Portugal
“Nice hotel but item taken from room”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I own a travel agency in Portugal and was in Delhi for business but paid for my stay at normal rate.

My review would have been a 4, except that on the second day of my stay my Gilette Mach 3 Fusion Power disappeared from my room. It was nothing fancy, just a razor, and I do not know if someone took it or if someone through it on the garbage. Anyway it was still unpleasant and the hotel took too long to care and solve it. I needed to speak about it with 3 different persons to be taken serious; then the manager came (along with two more staff) and apologized and said I would have a new one within a couple of hours. I left for dinner and arrived to find that I still had no razor, had to talk again in the reception and the night manager said it would be in the room early morning, and finally it was there. In the end problem solved (although not same quality razor but pretty similar), but that does not dismiss the fact of the disappearing razor and that I needed to talk about it four times.

Location: I was here for business only and with a series of meetings in New Delhi, South Delhi, Gurgaon and Noida, so for that purpose the location is good because there is a lot (a lot!) of traffic always all around. Here you are 30 minutes from the aiport and 30 minutes from New Delhi, all other places will depend on traffic, for example to Gurgaon it can take more than an houre! You also have two very good shopping malls just outside the hotel where you can walk to, good leisure option;

Room: they are big and well designed, with a very comfortable bed, a good working desk and other décor items. The internet is really slow, at times not working at all. The bathroom is very nice with a touch of design but my shower did not work very well (a friend was staying in another room and no problem there). I also had fruit and water complimentary;

Breakfast: the room is lovely, large and with an amazing window with more than 20 meters high or so facing the gardens. And the food was good and plenty in quantity and diversity. Service depends, good and not so good depending on how busy they were;

Service: good service throughout if we disconsider the razor event;

Premises: I had dinner at the Italian restaurant and it was a disappointment, the place is nice and it was fast but the food was average only and expensive;

General: convenient location, nice rooms, have service issues to address.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ub44
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay in New Delhi!!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay & the facilities of our hotel. I have also taken a note of the concern regarding loss of razor from your room. It is really unusual to have this kind of an incident to happen & than subsequent delay in response from the team. I sincerely apologize for the same & assure you that the matter was addressed with the respective Heads of department & their team at the same time. However, i am glad that the team was thoughtful enough to arrange for the best possible substitute available.

The location of the hotel is really ideal for both business & leisure traveler and would completely agree to your point of good location. For places like Connaught place, Nehru Place, Jasola, Saket, Hauz khas, Qutab institutional area, Vasant Vihar, Chankyapuri, Ashram, Noida, Airport & Gurgaon, we are just a few Kilometers away. The distance can be covered within 10 to 30 minutes to the destination stated above in normal traffic conditions depending on distance.

We request you to take the concern shared by you as an aberration & look forward to have the opportunity of welcoming you back. We will do our best to delight you, should you give us the opportunity in future.

Yours sincerely

Sandeep Bhatnagar
Director of Rooms
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
CA
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This was hotel one of our tour of which all hotels are supposed to be 5 star. This place is very open, big, modern, and fits its name. Has a giant garden and pool area for scenic views and does a good job making you feel private and in your own world, away from the bustle of the city.

However that is its main problem: it is very far from "downtown" area and about 25min by car (assuming no traffic) to old Delhi. It is also nowhere near any metro stops or public transportation. It is however right next to a fairly fancy mall.

• Stayed January 2012
CA
Reviewed 31 January 2012

* As soon as we put down luggage in closet, saw 2 big cock roaches. We were so scared, moved luggage on couch and zipped everything, dont want them to crawl in and take them home.

* Has big room and big bathroom with black marble floor. But no shower door. We built a towel dam so it does not flood. But the room has awful mildew smell, noticed the carpet was flooded from guest before us. I couldnt sleep the 1st night cuz the terrible smell. The next morning I soaked the carpet dry with towel, used hair dryer for 45 minutes to dry the carpet so it does not smell the 2nd night.

* We had 3 adults need extra bed. They knew 2 months in advance when we book the reservation. But when we called the front desk, they told us extra bed is out of stock, told us to sleep on the floor with mattress. I couldnt believe what I heard from a 5 star hotel. We were so scared the cockroaches would crawl on us. We were very tired from the long flight, they finally found another bed at 10pm. They should get extra bed ready before guests check in.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi. While it is good to know that you chose The Grand for your stay in New Delhi, I am disappointed to learn that your stay experience was far from satisfactory for you.

It is most important to us that all our guests feel comfortable by providing the best hygienic condition and room facilities as committed at the time of reservation. During this stay we seem to not have been able to meet this commitment. While we tried to carry out necessary investigation, I am sorry to have not being able to gather any other facts confirming pest during the period of the stay or even otherwise in the recent past. I would like to assure you that we have very strong measures been taken to proactively ensure that there is no such breeding on our premises. For more details you may directly reach me at fom@thegrandnewdelhi.com.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience stated by you. Rest assured your other feedback as well is taken seriously, and I will take steps to address your experience and ensure that it does not happen again.

I hope that I can persuade you to stay with us again when you return to New Delhi in the future. Please contact me directly at fom@thegrandnewdelhi.com for all your accommodation needs and we will do our utmost to provide the comfort and discretion you need during your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Sandeep Bhatnagar
Director of Rooms
Toronto
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Higher quality hotel, rooms are very good and spacious, well decorated, modern and comfortable. Wireless coverage and speed is excellent. Pool was undergoing maintenance so could not use that. Water was available in the room as well as fridge, great HD TV with tons of global English and European language channels.

Food: excellent choices for breakfast and dinner (I am a VEGAN and they were super helpful)
Service: beyond excellent
Quality: very good
Security: very high

Went for a haircut and is was as good as high street barber. Went for a Swedish massage and that was far below standards and I might as well have just rubbed olive oil all over my body myself. Zero massage.....just rubbed lots of oil without any muscle massage. That was the only real disappointment here. Oh, nearly forgot, ordered an Iron and ironing board at 8am one morning and had to rush out the door with an unironed shirt at 8.55....no sign of the iron. I remember that happened last time I was here also so I now ordered the Iron the night before.

Hotel is not situated in a great spot although in walking distance of some new brand malls. But this is not negative for me as it give a calmer feeling in the hotel with less hustle and bustle outside.

Room Tip: short distance from the airport
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank OttVanTor
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I quite like the bathroom although water coming from the shower area was a bit of a problem.
The room was comfortable. I liked the Breakfast buffet area. Buffet was good. I appreciated that they put Yakult at the breakfast buffet.
I did Hena colouring at the beauty salon. It costs 400 rupees. I also did a head and foot massage, but I felt a little uncomfortable as it was a man who gave me a massage. I should have asked for a girl for a massage. Hair colouring, head massage, foot massage cost me 2000 rupees.
I noticed that there aren't many big signs in the hotel, and I had to ask around.
Service of the hotel was very good. People will greet you whenever they see you, which I didn't experience in some other hotels, such as Sheraton.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple