“Great Hotel - Rooms need updating”
Review of Taj Mahal Hotel

Taj Mahal Hotel
Ranked #11 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Why Indian hotels are so expensive i just don't know. Even with a discount it was still more expensive than places like Tokyo. The Taj is a great hotel and the brand name is famous. food was excellent and the service was wonderful. The rooms are a massive let down though. Very old and in need of updating. Charging for wifi was also a huge let down. £200 plus a night and you have to pay for wifi is a real turn off, and i will vote with my feet on my next visit and try something a bit more modern.
Pool area was quite nice, but again in need of updating and 5 Jack & cokes at £80.00 was enough to make you go out and drink.

Plan well and you should be able to find less expensive hotels with more modern facilities in the rooms.

Room Tip: All good views
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed in the Taj Mahal Hotel for 3 days. The service was excellent from the moment I was met by the driver and car at the airport. I can’t say enough about the concierges at the hotel. Pulkit arranged a rickshaw tour of old Delhi for me through Old Delhi tours. He also arranged for the taxi to pick me up at the end of the tour and communicated directly with my guide. I was literally passed from person to person. As a woman travelling alone for her first time in Delhi, this was very comforting. I was considering a food tour but due to being too jet lagged decided not to go. However, Snigdha Khanna the assistant manager who was at the concierge desk, knew of my interest and the next evening she called my room and said she had prepared some information for me about the different types of food in the different parts of India. Word was out that I wanted to try different Indian foods and at breakfast, the waiter in the hotel offered to have the chef make me a south Indian dosa. He explained to me where it was from and how it was made. I was going to stay in another hotel closer to the airport for one night when I pass through Delhi next week on my way home to the States, however, I can’t imagine staying anywhere else and will be back here again. It feels like home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed at this great property right after staying at its sister hotel in Mumbai, the iconic Taj Mahal Palace. While Taj New Delhi is not as grand or elegant it actually managed to outdo its more famous "cousin" through the extraordinary service level and standard of care of its staff. When I arrived, a small army greeted my car and I was escorted directly to my room where I checked in and enjoyed a complementary welcome drink. Each morning they printed off pages of a major Canadian newspaper's website--since they knew I was from Canada--and left them in a little bag for me, along with fresh slippers. On my second night, I ordered in room service and the porter could tell I was not feeling well. He came back to check on me and brought me ginger tea. A great many hotels spew rhetoric about treating each guest as a VIP--the Taj New Delhi is the first hotel I have ever stayed in where the service matches the promise. This is a remarkably well-managed hotel that understands that the true margin of excellence lies with its staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sgkca
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The Taj Mahal Hotel was our first stop on our first trip to India, and we had a wonderful time there. The building is not particularly distinguished looking from the outside, but the inside lobby, restaurants, grounds and rooms are top-notch. But what really made the Taj Mahal stand out is the excellent staff. Across the board, we were greeted by professional, attentive, very friendly staff who remembered us and saw to our every need. We were celebrating a special event, and the in-room service staff, led by Mr. Pradeep Dubey, put together a celebratory treat that we will never forget (thank you Mr. Dubey and your fellow team-mates Himanshu, Anuranjan, Ujjawal, Anil, Devender, Aneesh & Peter). There were so many other kind and professional staffers there, but one of particular note is the gorgeous Shilpa in the reception staff, who greeted us on arrival and saw to our every need to getting situated at the the hotel. Also, two restaurants we tried - their 24-hours lobby restaurant (named Machan, I believe) for breakfast buffet and Varq for a high-end Indian gourmet dinner, were excellent.

Room Tip: get to know and appreciate the staff - they will get to know you. And like all hotels at India, your...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vancouver-paradise
Reviewed 28 February 2012

There is no doubt that the Taj Brand reached a height of excellence with this property. The public halls are magnificent, the rooms spacious and inviting and the staff on their toes. This hotel ranks head and shoulders above others in Deli and should be on the top list of discerning travelers. As for food, the breakfast is beyond belief in its comprehensive possibilities and the restaurants personal. Do not be surprised if the chef comes to your table to receive specific comments and suggestions about his product.

Room Tip: Do not be afraid to request upgrade and be sure to joins Leading Hotels
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family