“A very good 5* hotel”

Ranked #6 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Australia
“A very good 5* hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is typical of a very good 5* hotel, with good services all the way from the front desk to the restaurants. The staff were quite warm and welcoming.It is located in the Diplomatic Enclave in Chanakyapuri, where most embassies are located. One problem is that there is no restaurants (there are few in the hotel) or shopping malls within walking distance. ITC Mayura (another 5* hotel) is next door and the closest restaurants are in Malcha Marg, which has few good ones.

The room and the bathroom were quit clean and well maintained. They service the rooms twice a day. Breakfast was good with Western and Indian food. There are pancake station, omelette station, etc. along with a wide variety of South/North Indian food (Uppuma, Dosa, Oothappam, Batturas, Paratha), and good fruit selection. There is something for everyone.

My friends stayed on the sixth floor which is special. They got free drinks and snacks every day in the afternoon on the 7th floor. Same drink can cost a fortune in the bar downstairs.

We tried an auto on our first day and it turnd out to be messy. It is half the price of taxi, but the comfort level is less than half - you are exposed to lot of dust from the surrounding, and the hygiene within the auto is not very good. Hotel to Karol Barg we paid Rs. 100. Next day, we hired a hotel black and yellow taxi which was quite reasonable, comfortable and clean. We got the taxi to wait for us while we shopped, and the charge is Rs. 60 an hour of waiting. Fo the last four days, we got hold of a taxi from the hotel and paid Rs. 1500 per day (9 hours) with Rs. 200 for extra hour. This worked out very well, as the driver spoke good English. These taxis are safe as they park in the hotel and are registered there. Their business cards haveTaj Palace as their address.

The traffic in the peak hours (9-10 am and 5-6 pm) can be quite rough. One interesting thing about the taxis that the metre (at least for the black and yellow ones) does not change with time - it changes only with distance.

Room Tip: If you get a free upgrade to 6th floor it is good.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sivakugan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed there for 3 weeks. I'm very picky and fussy. Taj lived up to my expectations in every sense. I’ve stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels but this hotel takes the cake. All the staff acknowledges you every time, regardless of how many times you pass them. The room service gives you a time frame as too how long your order will take. The concierge is very helpful. You don’t feel like your staying in India. The housekeeping is very prompt and breakfast is till 11.30am. They even had a guy meet us at the airport when we were leaving who helped us check in. Although the in house cabs are expensive Rs 2,600 per 4 hours, they are well worth it, as all the drivers have mobiles and have very good knowledge about the roads so you never feel lost – something which is very easy to feel in India. They also understand English. Right from the check in to the departure there is always someone there. If I have any issues the staff are more than happy to assist. I started with staying there for 2 days and just kept on extending. The hotel has a very peaceful feeling.

Room Tip: stay on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank peter s
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 July 2012

It was a lovely experience to stay at an India Hotel. Centrally located rooms. Excellent staff. Good experience of staying. The stay was very comfortable. We can enjoy the Indian food and also the local stuff. Buffet was good. Rooms were very neat and clean. All for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kuladeepreddy
Mumbai
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed at Taj Palace for 3 days. I overall experience was less than expected… When you check into a deluxe property as Taj Palace Hotel, you expect everything to be perfect. Strangely, all was not perfect as expected.

Airport Pickup:
A person by the name Hafeez was at the airport. He ensured that I did not have any problem to reach to the car. The driver who fetched me from the airport was a person by the name Devanand. Again a warm person who tried to make sure that the drive from the airport to the hotel was perfect.

Check In:
The check-in was a smooth. A lady (forgetting the name) was there at the gate to accost me… she quickly ushered me to the hotel into the 6th Floor wherein the Taj Club Floor is situated. As I entered the room I was greeted by butler by the name Ishan. A smart individual who was trying to make sure that I felt comfortable. He even offered to take me around the hotel to see what was available.

Coffee Shop – Fontanna – Great Experience:
Excellent experience … I found that the entire team so warm. I never felt unattended …. Rather it was a feeling as if I am at home. Chef Subramanium was so hospitable. This is great place. I have found that the team ensures that all your needs are taken care off. What I liked about this place is that little things are taken care off such as my bread toast which had turned cold was immediately replaced by a staff named Bhagwati. … Then another staff member by the name Ashwini was making sure that I was taken care off. And of course, Chef Subramanium is a star. He made sure that my special food requirements were take care off..
Chef Subramanium, Bhagwati and Ashwini are service stars and deserve a pat

Taj Club – Lounge (7th Floor):
Great service … I found the entire team to very warm. Great job being done by Khushboo and others

Not so great experiences:

Taj Club – Counters (6th & 7th Floors):
I was quite amazed to see that the girls sitting at the Taj club counters on 6th and 7th floors talking on phone without really bothering who is walking by.. One would have expected them to wish. Also, when they wished I found these ladies coolly sitting… I would have expected them to stand up and wish the guests checking-in . I also found the same issues with the boys who were sitting on the 7th floors. They too did not have the courtesy to wish the guests who passed by. Some of these individuals who I found demonstrating this arrogance includes: Bhavna, Panchi, Preeti etc. For example, I had requested some details but she had forgotten … I had to remind her.
However, among all these Taj Club counter staff I found staff member by the name Ritu ..(at the desk on 6th Floor) to be proactive who made attempts in her own way to take care of guests. She was very courteous and even came to see me at the porch when I was leaving. Other staff members at Taj Club Counters need to be like Ritu..

Experience at Concierge
One of my requests to the hotel was that since I would be conducting interviews in the board-room (small), they should get the details displayed on the display board in the lobby. I had clearly mentioned this on the first day to butler Ishan and other members in the reservations. While this was done on the first day, the details were not placed on the second day. When I went to the concierge to check about it…. I found a lady by the name Karishma. When I asked her why the meeting details were not displayed on the board … Instead of aplologizing she told me to go and check with the duty manager. When I spoke to someone by the name Wahaj … he told me that he was in the upper lobby and shall do once he was done… I was amazed to see that the staff did not have a required sense of urgency. I had to run pillar to post to finally get a message up on the display board. There is clearly something missing in the hotel… The team does not seem to be living up to the brand values of Taj.

Boardroom – 4
The boardroom is situated in a corner of the hotel in not a great location. The rooms have an unpleasant smell which emanates from a room that has not been used for long. I was taken care off by Taj staff members: Alok and Vijay. But what was weird that Alok kept on pushing to sign-off the bill even before the day had closed. This happened in both the days. He somehow wanted to get my signature and finish his work. Though Alok was warm through out the day…

Housekeeping:
When I checked into the hotel and tried using the bathroom basin... it was getting clogged. The tap knob was not working.. However, a maintenance person and came and repaired it. I wish on Taj Club floor these things should be looked at before a guest checks in

Room Tip: - Try Cafe Fonterra (Coffee Shop) - Great Service
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DebuDeb
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I, along with, 15 family members, from 2 to 78 years old, stayed for 3 nights in June 2012 at this lovely hotel. We had booked 6 rooms. Everything ticked with clock work precision from the time we stepped into the lobby. Check in was prompt & friendly. Our rooms were ready & all on the same floor. Rooms were clean and the a/cs were efficient, taking into consideration that the outside temperature was 42C ! The buffet breakfast was sumptuous & the staff attentive and polite. With 4 small children running all over the place, the staff showed utmost patience !
Well done Taj Palace ! You are maintaining the high standards of the TATA Group ! If we visit Delhi we will always stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family