The Imperial is such a dichotomy. In many ways it's the epitome of luxury living; in others it fails to do what even 3-star hotels can do. Here are the positives and negatives:
- rusty pipes. The water in both the showers and the sink were initially totally brown - and this wasn't just in one room, but two (I moved rooms during my stay). The hotel staff tried their best to fix it, and at first it got better. But then the water started smelling/tasting like rust again. Needless to say showering in it and, worse, brushing one's teeth with that water, was far from acceptable
- awful airport pick-up. The hotel had another guest who was supposed to be on the same flight as me. But all that it resulted in was me waiting for 45 minutes at the airport without any movements, until I had had enough and took a taxi to the hotel myself. What is the point of a hotel pick-up then?
- rude valets. Unresponsive. Unhelpful. We were trying to get a taxi and they kept on shooing us away for arriving guests in cars. Rather rude.
- showing me to a double-bed room without asking. This is a niggling thing, but I wish they had asked me if I preferred a single bed over a double bed before leading me to a room and asking me to stay there for the morning.
- ridiculous wifi costs. For 24 hrs, the wifi costs 18EUR. And it's not even fast! Sorry, but most hotels this standard have FREE wifi at this point.
- noisy outside. Sounds like there's a protest outside everyday? People yelling on speakerphones, a crowd yelling back... It's loud enough to wake me up in the morning.
- due to the rusty pipes and the airport hotel pick-up, the hotel was nice enough to send me flowers as an apology. It's not much, but at least it's a nice touch.
- wonderful pool. Large and beautifully lit at night
- nice freshly made croissants for breakfast. Not an outstanding breakfast lineup, but perfectly adequate for a 5-star hotel
- some wonderful staff members. One in particular, Tushar, was very professional.
- beautiful interior, with marble floors and exquisite artworks
- not far from Connaught Place - walkable
I wavered between giving the hotel a 2- or a 3-star review, because certainly it was not bad. But in the end it comes down to this - would I stay there again? And alas the answer is no, unless they fix a lot of the issues I mentioned - especially the pipes and the wifi.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your The Imperial Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Imperial Hotel New Delhi
- Imperial New Delhi
- Imperial Hotel Delhi
- Grand Imperial Hotel
- Hotel Imperial
- The Imperial New Delhi
- The Imperial Hotel Delhi
- The Imperial Palace Hotel