“Great experience!”

Delhi Food Tours - Private Tours
Ranked #20 of 51 Food & Drink in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Winners of the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and 2013, Delhi Food Tours (DFT) is Delhi's most reputed and reliable organization for culinary adventures! Food tours of local cuisine (with tea tastings), cooking classes conducted at a private estate (including Delhi's only barbecue masterclass), recommendations on high end dining experiences and an endless supply of bad jokes! Take your pick (the bad jokes are not optional). If you are looking to get an insight into food from across India or if you ever wondered about the difference between North Indian and South Indian Food, all you need is a DFT experience! With over 550 guests from 37 countries in our first year, DFT is your one stop shop for guidance in all aspects of Delhi's food. From food tours of local cuisine to molecular cocktails at Delhi's best bars, DFT can help you find exactly what you're looking for. The creation of a former lawyer turned restaurant critic and his wife (a corporate trainer), all tours and experiences are customized and operated by the owners personally. We are the only multi-dimensional food guides in Delhi that can guide you on every aspect of Delhi's food culture. Our clients include the Australian High Commission, the American Embassy, the Canadian High Commission and the American Women's Association. In addition, we are recommended by the Concierges of Delhi's best 5 star hotels on account of our standards of hygiene and level of service. We are not one of those operators that will try to sell you a Jaipur trip or a historical tour to pocket some extra cash. We stick to what we know which is food in all its glorious forms, shapes, sizes and flavors! If food is your thing, look no further.
Chicago, Illinois
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I went with the same group as a previous reviewer, Joe Pahl, listed below. I second all of his sentiments. Although our group was a little jet-lagged, due to our long travels from the United States, the whole experience was very enjoyable. I didn't have as large an appetite that night as I normally do because of the jet-lag, which was unfortunate timing, but, if I could, I would love to be on the tour right now. Just thinking about it makes me hungry!

Visited March 2012
Prashant K, Owner at Delhi Food Tours - Private Tours, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and support to DFT.

Jet lag dampens even my apetitie so I completely empathize with you!

Nevertheless, I was glad to see you have a crack at eating despite the sleep deprivation!

I hope that you manage to find your way back to Delhi again at some point. I would love to conduct a separate food tour for you in better circumstaces :)

We look forward to welcoming you to Delhi and eating with us again.

Best Regards
Team DFT
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Chicago
“Amazing food. Entertaining hosts. A can't miss Delhi attraction.”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

They took me and 22 of my friends to 4 amazing different Delhi restaurants. Everything was handled smoothly. The food was delicious. No one got sick, which is a miracle in Indian food standards. I cannot recommend it enough for any size group.

Dear Guest

Thanks for your response. As i said to Joe, your tour was an enjoyable experience for all of us.

Eating in Delhi is something which scares most tourists and it always helps to have local help. My friends really enjoyed themselves because it really felt like a large group of friends having a fun night on the town.

I thank you for your support and faith in DFT and look forward to welcoming you again :)

Montgomery, United Kingdom
“One of the best things to do in Delhi”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This was an outstandingly good trip. Prashant and Ayesha were the perfect hosts and really made you feel special. I have been an Indian food fan for many years so was thrilled to try such a fantastic variety of different foods from every region of India. Being a single traveller,going with a small group made the experience so much more enjoyable. The stop at Mittals tea shop was fascinating as well as educational and I look forward to trying out the chocolate tea back home. Thank you Prashant and Ayesha for such a memorable evening.

Visited March 2012
Prashant K, Owner at Delhi Food Tours - Private Tours, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Ruth

Thanks so much for your review.

I will be sure to convey your review to Mr. Mittal who conducted the tea tasting for you. He will be happy to read your review and that his passion for tea was appreciated :)

As far as the food was concerned, it was an absolute pleasure to eat with you. You were certainly one of our most adventurous guests till date. Your ability to handle the chilli pickles and chilli goat was nothing short of examplary! I was genuinely surprised and amazed!

Im glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Its always a matter of pride for Ayesha and myself when we can show off varieties of Indian food that people have never seen before :)

We look forward to eating with you again!

Ayesha and Prashant
Edmonton, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wowzers and Yum!”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Our family arrived in Delhi in the middle of the night and then first thing we did once we woke up was head out with Prashant and Ayesha on a food tour of Delhi! We had our two young children with us - aged 4 and 6 and so we wanted to pick a tour that would be clean, safe and accommodating to them. We also wanted a tour that had safe transportation and gave us a good sense of comfort. Our expectations were more than exceeded!
Our pick up was in a very safe vehicle that accommodated all 6 of us and our kids car seats easily. We went to so many different and amazing places. We all could not decide on a favourite place or meal as they were all sooo yummy and unique. Some of out families highlights were trying amazing South Indian coffee ( the best ever!), Indian kebabs that were mouth watering, the most delicious desserts on the planet and doing a tea tasting (watching the tea man prepare masala chai and then sampling!) Wow - what a wonderful memory for our family. Our son enjoyed so many dishes and he could keep up with the spices! The best part of the tour of course was Prashant and Ayesha. They are so kind and fun and genuine. We felt so happy that we chose this tour as our first "taste" of Delhi. What an amazing place to enjoy a food experience of a lifetime! This tour is a MUST!

Dear Guest

Thanks so much for your review and the awesome pictures that you've uploaded :)

We at DFT take our guests' trust and faith in us very seriously. We also understand that the younger foodies have special needs and the tour needs to be tailored slightly differently to ensure spice levels are milder. Based on your review, it seems our efforts paid off. The highlight of your food tour for me was watching young Clarke enjoy Indian food with a passion that rivals mine :)

Its always a matter of pride for us when people trust us with their first taste of Delhi and I thank you for choosing DFT for that special first bite. Most of all I thank you for taking time out of your schedule for writing this review. I can't explain how much your support means to Ayesha and myself.

We look forward to eating with you again.

Brooklyn, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great food & even better people!!”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Prashant & Ayesha are people who love food and love people who love food - my kind of tour! From booking to final goodbyes things could not have gone smoother. They send you a questionaire to get a feel for your food tastes and spice level. We sampled cuisines from throughout India but my favorite was a more local (they asked at the beginning if we were game for a more "rustic" experience which I of course jumped at the chance!!!) place from the Hyderabad region (South India - spicier foods) called Andhra Bhawan. This was REAL food for real Indians. The food was not only fantastic but the staff is really proud of their cuisine and was extremely happy to have foreign tourists there to show it off too!
Make sure you try the Indian ice-cream at the end. I also really liked that they picked you up and dropped you off safely at your hotel.
Thanks again Pranshant & Ayesha for your incredible hospitality!

Visited March 2012
Prashant K, Owner at Delhi Food Tours - Private Tours, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Karyn

I must say it was an absolute blast to eat with you. The fact that you were adventurous enough to try out some of our hidden gems was just awesome! Its always fun to meet people who really want to learn about a city by eating their way through the culture.

I also think its pretty safe to say that when it comes to eating spicy food, you are one tough cookie! Seriously! We fed you things that have made some of our guests literally cry! But you barely sniffed. Mighty impressive!

I thank you for your comment on the South Indian Canteen. It truly does provide a rustic experience which is great for people who really have the 'when in rome' attitude which was clearly your motto :D

Thanks for 'hanging out' with Ayesha and me. It really was a fun evening for both of us.

Best regards,