“Paharganj is famous for Food & Hotels Street crowded with foreign tourist”
Review of Paharganj

Paharganj
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 40.70*
and up
Private Guided Tour of Delhi's Markets
Reviewed 25 December 2017

Paharganj is situated near New Delhi Railway station.You must take exit from paharganj side (i.e. platform no 1) .There is famous food options but avoid restaurants just near Railways station gate.You have to walk a little to reach famous food streets of paharganj.You can either head to Main Bazar mostly crowded with foreign tourist or
for chur chur naan head to Near Paharganj Read light.The place has proximity to CP and nearest metro is R K Ashram Marg Metro.You can also search for my youtube channel 4damnthing for the same.

1  Thank m0hitdev
All reviews
"new delhi railway station"
in 48 reviews
in 9 reviews
"backpack"
"desi"

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

I started and finished my trip to India in Delhi with no previous knowledge of the city or any good ideas on where to stay. Fortunately I chose to stay in Paharganj which has apparently been a favourite of backpackers since the 1970's. It's great for anyone travelling on a tight budget as accommodation is very cheap. I found it surprising that a place as busy as Main Bazaar can fall so quiet at night so even though you are right amongst a lot of action it's still easy to get a good night sleep.

Navigating the tiny little side streets running off from Main Bazaar to get to your hotel can be a little tricky especially when you first arrive from an international flight and you're lugging any bags with you. But I found that people were all pretty helpful with giving directions (if they could speak English - which most could). If you don't want the stress (but do want to stay in the area) I would suggest booking a hotel right on Main Bazaar. There is plenty to choose from and taxis can pull up right in front of where you need to be.

Main Bazaar is a great place to find bargains if you are looking to shop (I wasn't there for that) and it's not too far from Connaught Place if you want to shop high end western brands also. The handiest feature about Paharganj is that it is just a short walk from any of it's hotels to the New Delhi Railway Station which seems to connect to every other place in India. I caught the train from there to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal (Super Awesome!).

Paharganj always seemed to be just a short distance from anything I might want to experience so I'm not sure if there are any other more appealing neighbourhoods to stay in around Delhi but this one ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Paharganj does have a seedy side to it so it pays to be aware of your surroundings and watch out for pickpockets who are particularly active in the area. Although having said that I'm a single woman, travelled solo and dressed in my usual western style of clothing - which is modest enough, but I didn't go out of my way dress for local expectations. And I had absolutely no hassles at all. I was actually a bit surprised about that, for all the mysogynistic reputation India holds for women travelling alone, I did not experience anything that I wouldn't be likely to encounter at home in Australia. I actually never felt unsafe the whole time I was there. I'm a naturally assertive woman and perhaps that makes a difference?

Seriously the worst thing I experienced was an awesome case of Delhi Belly that I picked up after eating street food during a religious festival. It was so bad that I wound up in hospital for a couple of days and even that wasn't a bad experience. The nearby Private Hospital had such a high standard of care that if I ever went on a cosmetic surgery vacation I would put India at the top of the list of countries I would consider going to. So that was an experience worth having. The other drawback to the city during winter though is air pollution. It was shocking and as an asthmatic I found I would reach a stage each afternoon where I just had to get indoors for some fresh air. Summer may be a better time of year to go but the winter was so mild that it was really quite nice.

There were so many dazzling sights and and such vibrance that I'm pretty confident this will have only been the first of many trips to India. I hadn't intended to travel there before but an opportunity came up and I took it. I had no expectations going in so perhaps that's what contributed to it being so unexpectedly awesome.

4  Thank Footymumplusone
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

My partner and I are avid travelers. But India is a different ball game and Delhi is one of the most challenging cities to visit as a rookie. And yes we were rookies and if you haven’t been to India or Delhi yet, you are a rookie too. Regardless of how many places you have been or how seasoned a traveler you are, you standout and are a target in this market and city. People are amazing in India but around the train station and Pahar Ganj in New Delhi I️ feel sorry to say this but they are not.

In New Delhi they take pride in ripping off tourists, my thoughts which have been confirmed by many Indians I have met back packing through India and now call friends. And in Pahar Ganj and the train station are the center of tourist traps, where it is a game to the touts here. Just be careful, a rule of thumb in Pahar Ganj/The Train Stations or New Delhi as a whole, if someone approaches you they are likely not trustworthy so keep your guard up! Even if they seem helpful or use the phrase “I’m not trying to sell you anything”. The truth is they are selling you on going somewhere or staying somewhere you just don’t realize it until it’s too late. Stick to this rule, ask 3+ different people if you have a question. Then go with the answer you hear most often if unsure. Don’t let someone help you and go with there assessment only.

We stayed in Pahar Ganj and shopped here quite a bit. After a couple days you get a feel for it but I would suggest just staying away from this area on your first visit or at least for the first couple days until you get your bearings about you. As a new tourist to New Delhi/India stay in the south which is actually Delhi and not New Delhi. It is the posh side of town but a guest house/hostel/hotel will cost you only a hundred rupees or so more for the same quality place in New Delhi. But what you pay for in accommodations will save you in peace of mind. If I go back to New Delhi or Delhi I will follow that advice. Please learn from us and listen to me.

3  Thank Two Traveling B
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

This place is very near to new Delhi railway station and close to connoght place, so strategically located makes place for Traveller to stop by.

Most of the budget restaurant along with hotels are here and nearest metro station is R.K Ashram Marg.

It's been ages since I'm staying here but usually avoiding going here thinking not fancy; but I was wrong. Paharganj market is really good for flea.

You may get numbers of shops which sell clothing, and handicrafts. If you wanna enjoy true Delhi one need to visit here.