New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #585 of 1,064 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australia
“exceptionally exploitative staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We arrived at 0400 and agreed to pay a half-day rate until check in time that day and the full room rate thereafter for 2 nights. I obviously should have heeded the advice that one should get everything in writing and signed in advance, but it had not been neccessary prior to this while travelling in India. Upon check-out a staff member who had not been present at check-in, and who apparently had no record of my advance payments, attempted to make us pay something around 8000Rs for the 2 nights and 8 hours we'd stayed there. When i said that he was attempting to rip us off he became defensive and refused to negotiate, obviously hoping we'd give in. I ended up threatening to leave and/or call the police and he settled for 3500 including what I'd already payed. the difference in his claim on the bill and what he accepted (4500Rs) to me indicates that he was fully aware of what the true cost of our stay should have been. I do not mind staying in hotels that have dirty sheets, windows that dont close and drains that- lacking S-bends- vent the smell of the sewage system beneath the building into the room. But i do not mind this because, typically, they are low cost and I'm not in India for fancy hotels. What I do mind is when people think that it is acceptable to attempt to exploit foreigners out of their money by some twisted personal ethical standards, and proceed to defend their underhanded manner as though you've insulted them. If i could have it my way this hotel would be closed and these men never allowed to manage a hospitality business again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pune
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

I was on my business trip to Himachal pradesh. While returning I had some business work in delhi hence I had to stay one night in delhi along with my colleagues. We were total 3 personnel to rest there at night.

The hotel was suggested by rickshaw driver. It was around 10 min distance from New delhi railway station at Paharganj side. We decided to see it and then finalize to stay there or not. We kept luggage in their lobby and saw the room. It was 3 bedded AC room with good aesthetics. At first glance we felt the room ok for stay and paid the advance to reception. The rates were little high but we preferred to stay there as we didnt want to search the hotel at night.

The room was nice and we could feel that the hotel was just built and started. Hotel staff also told us that this is very new hotel started few months back only. The room finish was fresh and nice. Plenty of lights there for different moods and work were there. Air conditioner worked properly whole night. Cool air from AC was just perfect for the hot and humid climate outside which is typical in Delhi in rainy season. We switched on LCD TV in the room and watched it for some time. Meantime I worked on my laptop also. Then we had some chitchat and time pass till sleeping. The 3 beds were nicely maintained just to make you sleepy.

The bathroom was also feeling fresh and looking nice. In many hotels rooms are nicely finished and maintained but bathroom / toilet is not upto the mark. But since this was newly built hotel, it was very good feel. In the morning we all freshed and got ready for our next business work. Normal things like water, electricity etc. were good. They had 24 hrs room service and also food supply in rooms. We took tea and light breakfast there.

Few negative points also to be noted which they can improve. For example they gave us just 2 bath towels although we were 3 people there. Also bell switch near bed is not marked and hence we pressed in 2-3 times even though no service was required at that time.

We checked out the hotel @ 10 am. It was good stay in overall. Also reaching the hotel from New delhi railway station is easier. Ramkrishna metro station is also near by. I felt that following the rickshaw driver was not bad decision. But you need to be careful and see the property before finalizing the deal.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business