“Not for first timers”

and 1 more site!
Megha Homestay
Ranked #96 of 727 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I are in our mid 60s. It was our first trip to India and having back packed all over the place we thought this trip would be similar. We chose Megha Homestay from the good reviews on TA. On our arrival at Delhi we were picked up straight away and driven to the homestay.

We thought a homestay would be staying with a family. After what felt like a long drive we arrived in a gated area which was nothing like we expected and was just down market housing. A gentleman came out and told the driver to take us around the corner as we were to stay in another of his houses. We were then taken to our room which had a huge bed, was freezing cold (it was january) no blankets on the bed, no water left for us and nothing to eat and no windows. We were tired after a night flight we were cold, hungry and thirsty. We were told to wait. We waited and no one came. We were in a kind of apartement block with different rooms certainly not a home. We found someone who didn't speak English and they gave us the owners telephone number. After talking to him he said he would be with us in an hour!

We were a little frightened being in an Indian area with no one around cold and thristy, after three hours we decided to leave as no one had come, but we were scared of leaving as we had no idea where we were. We plucked up the courage and left some money on the table and walked out of the building. We were stared at and walked through the secure gates and out onto the road where we caught a tut tut to the centre of Delhi.

We are seasoned travellers but this experience wasn't good. Maybe if the owner had arrived and made us welcome and comfortable instead of just dumping us we would have enjoyed the place but as it is I would not recommend this place unless maybe you have been before. A great shame the owner couldn't care for his clients. A bad into to India.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank winged1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and 3 of his family spent a lovely few days in Megha. Aman made my mother in law feel at home and was very helpful in terms of assisting with our onward travel plans and transport. He has some fantastic drivers, especially Ram who is a star and a brilliant driver. The property is in a nice quiet part of town and we were also able to use the metro which is really nearby. Rooms are lovely and clean and the staff do all they can to make you feel like one of the family. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank vereeniging1
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Megha Homestay was our first port of call in India. Having never been to India before, we weren't sure what a homestay might be like. It's only after staying in others that we realised the it wasn't quite as welcoming as you might like. Aman is a nice man who is very helpful but is often not there. The food in the evenings however was delicious and the rooms clean. It's in a nice neighbourhood but just lacking that warmth and open armed welcome of other Indian homestays. A satisfactory stay nonetheless.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Lakygirl
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Had a great stay in Megha in december last year.
Aman is a very helpful man, and he knows many good ways to form a personal tour with private guide if nessary.
And don´t forget to eat at Megha. Great kitchen!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Apollo
4  Thank Stefan0wich
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed for a couple of days in December 2011 and January 2012; it is situated in a nice and quiet neighborhood across the street of a park. The owner and the staff are very helpful and will do everything they can to make you feel at home. The rooms (I had three) are nice and clean and the food is good. I had to ask for a cover sheet which they provided me promptly. Morning breakfast conversation with other guests at the dining table was quit enjoyable; I met nice people from all over the world including my own country, Canada. Last but not least, Aman, the owner, helped me planned my entire trip to India since I did not have time before leaving; he made all the arrangements for the hotels and the transportation.

Perfection does not exist in our world but overall, I had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo