New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #345 of 703 Hotels in New Delhi
Perth, Australia
“comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

this hotel was one of the more comfortable i came across during my time in India. Neat and in a pretty good location. Staff were always very helpful and were quick to react to any concerns i might have had. they helped me out with arranging travel and giving me tips about how to save money. Their drivers were good at getting you around and didnt try to sell you more stuff. The room i stayed was a little noisey but nothing that earplugs didnt fix.

Room Tip: make sure to ask them about the hot water.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank 160lou81
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

we asked for a taxi pick-up from the airport and when we arrived at the hotel we were charged triple what the airport taxis cost! we were then treated very rudely as we are a mix raced couple and were told they do not usually allow this in their hotel! i was so shocked as we have never been treated like this before. we ended up staying for 2 nights and although the room was ok they were doing building work outside our room every afternoon which made it impossible to relax. i have stayed in other hotels on arakashan road which are all much better and with much nicer staff!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank hankdCornwall
HotelrajDelhi_India, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel The Raj, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Greetings From Hotel Raj New Delhi,

Dear Madam , We thank for your feedback, but we are quite shocked to read your comments. When
you arrived at Hotel Raj you were accompanied by Delhi based boy and we politely told you about the
Delhi Government Guidelines and Rules: that according to the Delhi Government it is not allowed for
the Hotels to make a Foreigner Lady stay with the Delhi Based boy in the Delhi based Hotel. We are
still apologizing for the inconvenience caused to you but you have to understand that there was nothing
personal in it. we have to follow the Government given guidelines which are meant for the safety of tourist. We see news about misbehave,cheating with tourist etc. and this is a reputed hotel and we follow the rules made by Delhi Government for safety of our valuable guest.

About Airport we confirmed this to you by Email that the charges for the airport pickup are Rs. 750
which was including the parking Fees of Rs. 200 (For the Airport Authority) Entrance ticket for the driver
to wait at the Waiting Lounge Rs. 100 and Driver Night Charges Rs. 50. And we send you this information
by Email and you send the confirmation from your side, We still have that confirmation email from you
which we have forwarded to once again.

We love to hear from our esteemed guests as your feedback helps us to serve you better in future , but
we request you to be Honest and understand some rules before writing the review.

With Best Regards

Team Raj

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

First impression of the place was with disdain. Located close to the railway station, but very dirty surrounding. Once you get used to the surroundings and are able to shut it out, the hotel itself was adequate with mid-sized rooms.

Reception staff was friendly & helpful enough which certainly helped. I've stayed in worse hotels during my backpacking days and I think this is definitely an upgrade from those I was used to.

I guess one has to get used to the water quality in Delhi or at least the area around Pahar Ganj so much so that the bed clothes felt rough and a shower (with hot water) would leave you feeling a bit odd. Water collected in a pail had some sort of "oily" surface.

Well placed to many shops I found interesting walking at 0700 in the morning before having breakfast at their sister hotel The Aura across the road. Breakfast was ok (6 days there and no tummy aches), but the same fare daily.

There is this travel shop just round the corner opposite The Aura which was very cheap (cheaper than the travel desk at The Raj) and very accomodating. We had the same driver for 3 days and cost us less than 1000 Rupees for a whole day, while a trip to Agra and back only set us back RS4,500 while the hotel was charging double that.

What else can I say? Delhi is cheap to travel around. This hotel was just nice for what we intended to do, which is just go, get a roof over our heads and go walkabouts.

You get some good food in the restaurants near by or in the surrounding hotels. We liked one called Delhi Darbar which is a veg restaurant. If you get out of the hotel, turn left, then left again. Keep walking to the end of the road to a junction and do another left, walking straight till you're almost at another junction. Its on the right. Downstairs sell sweets & the restaurant is upstairs. I'm not too fussy about my food, but this restaurant was what we call Cheap & Good.

Enjoy Delhi

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Mike H
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We (my Dad and I) took the twin share Room 105. What I liked about it was that it was spacious enough for all our luggage. Had hot water in the mornings and pressure was good. Room rate was I think just right for that area (Pahar Ganj) considering it included breakfast. This was one of the few hotels I found that had the balance between the condition of the room with the room rate in Arakshan Road that was in the mid price ranges.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Vidya S
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I would give an "Excellent" rating to the staff, especially Rafiq (THANKS, RAFIQ!!!!). He helped organize a couple of trips for me and they worked seamlessly. The price was quite fair for the tours and I would give that part a huge thumbs up. The trip to the Taj Mahal was by far one of the best trips I've ever been on. It's truly breathtaking.

The hotel room itself was fine but the bedsheets were quite dirty (hair, marks, etc.). I partially blame myself for this because I didn't ask them to change the sheets when I saw they were dirty. That said, I got in quite late on a Friday night and I was quite exhausted (I ended up sleeping fully clothed to avoid sleeping on the dirty sheets).

The part that really grossed me out though was the floor of the bathroom. It kept seeping some type of water that covered the entire bathroom floor with a rainbow looking surface (like the kind you see with oil spills). I had a staff member dry the floor and within a matter minutes the water seeped back. I was able to work around this by running the shower and then stepping on the floor. If I had flip-flops, this could have been averted.

The food at their sister hotel was GREAT! I had an omlette and french toast for breakfast. For dinner I had a delicious meal that was chunks of chicken with some type of sauce on top of a bed of chicken fried rice with a side of garlic butter nan. Certainly not the healthiest of all food, but it was delicious!

Overall, I found the hotel to be average. The positives were the free breakfast (and the great food in general), the free bottle of water, the location (in terms of proximity to the train station...5 minutes in a tuk-tuk), the OUTSTANDING staff, and most importantly feeling safe and secure inside the hotel. The negatives were the immediate area around the hotel (a bit seedy), the cleanliness of the bed sheets, and the water on the floor of the bathroom. I would recommend this hotel if you have flip-flops and are on a budget but are looking for a hotel close to the train station with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo