“My Home B&B in Delhi” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 1,049 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“My Home B&B in Delhi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

From the very beginning , my contact with Ms. Surinder Maini , at Chhoti Haveli , was friendly , professional and extremely helpful . I was told about her B&B by a good friend who passes thru Delhi on a yearly basis, and my experience there at Chhoti surpassed even her rave reviews . This was to be my first visit to India , and I was a bit nervous after hearing so many stories . Surinder put me at ease as soon as we communicated by email .
She arranged for me to be picked-up at the Delhi Airport @ 1AM and brought to the B&B , a quick 15 minute drive at that time of the morning ,where I was welcomed by Mr. Maini , offered a beverage and shown to my comfortable room , one of only three in the B & B. The Maini family lives just down stairs in their apartment .The next morning I was greeted warmly by Surinder , and as I ate my delicious 'Indian style' breakfast ,we chatted about my plans to visit some of the sites in Delhi . She had hired a Car and Driver for me and after breakfast I was on my way , touring the City . I arrived back at the Chhoti in the early evening and Surinder recommended a couple of eateries that were close-by . I walked around the corner and had an excellent meal , just across from the Hospital . The Chhoti is located right across from a nice, small Park , with lots of vegetation and therefore the B & B was a quiet retreat from the busy-ness and noise of Delhi , just a few blocks away .
My room was most comfortable and I had a small balcony and private bath at a very reasonable rate....the Nepali houseman who made a delicious breakfast and kept the place spotless was also very friendly and helpful.
As most flights from Europe arrive very early in the morning , the Chhoti offers it's Guests a great deal, where you only pay for a half night that first night !
In fact , everything about the Chhoti was just perfect ! and having traveled much of the world , I can highly recommend this B & B .

Room Tip: I liked my room just off the dining area and sitting room . It was spacious , comfortable and quiet...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Gee90
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Chhoti Haveli is run by a lovely lady named Surinder who immediately makes you feel like you are one of the family. We stayed for a few nights in November and felt very at home. Away from the touristy heart of Delhi and nestled in suburbia, after a long road trip around Rajasthan it was great to immerse ourselves in what felt more familiar for a few days, going to the mall, watching a movie at the cinema etc, which are all around the corner from this haveli. It is also very close to the airport. I would suggest using their transfer service otherwise it may not be easy to find. The rooms are very comfortable, the bathrooms clean, and they provide you with these lovely local toiletries made from natural ingredients. I fell in love with the neem body wash, and Surinder was even kind enough to give me a new bottle to take home. A Nepalese man called Tapa was there to take care of us throughout our stay, his service was excellent, kind and attentive. Thank you so much Surinder and Tapa for taking such excellent care of us throughout our stay, we hope to return again someday.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GNTINDO
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Come over every year to visit family, and at last have found a wonderful base for my stay. My room was beautiful, luxuriously appointed, and I was free to come and go as I pleased. This in addition to the delightful presence of Surinder. Thank you so much Surinder, I hope to return soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dim4343
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Chhoti means "little" and this sweet little apartment bed-and-breakfast home, is a perfect accommodation for a couple days during or at the end of a trip to India, as you mentally digest the myriad memories of this remarkable country. You are near the busy-ness of Delhi, but in a South Delhi area where you can catch your breath for a bit.

Here, you can comfortably kick back, settle in, relax. it feels like a friend's flat (i.e. a true homestay) where you've been invited in, and entrusted with the keys! Watch TV, catch up on emails, books, or journal, make yourself a cup of tea, walk across the driveway to the community park and watch local life--joggers on the trail, kids on the play structures-- or take a safe and easy 5 minute walk around the corner to some yummy nearby restaurants . For destinations around town, take a cab or the haveli's driver (if you're lucky enough to find him free for the day) for touring and/or shopping.

An ATM is conveniently nearby (5 minute walk) in Fortis Hospital's lobby.

The sitting and dining are clean, bright, welcoming. and spotlessly clean. My room, with a small balcony, big windows, and sunlight pouring onto a bed made with crisply ironed sheets, was perfect on a winter afternoon-- inviting and comfortable and cheerful. (There is ac for the hotter months.)

The bedroom's ensuite bathroom is small but adequate, with 24 hour hot water. The lovely Rajsthani furniture is pleasant and colorful (I had just come from a 1930s place in Rajasthan with heavy, dark furniture). Bottled mineral water is provided. Tea and coffee are always available. Breakfast is a choice of Indian or Western.

Like many of Delhi's residential "colonies" this sector has gated entry with security guard.

Just a few meters from the flat, there is a typical Indian small shop/stall selling snacks, some toiletries (Medimix and Fiama di Wills soaps make great inexpensive gifts). For lunch and dinners, Surinder keeps a book of local menus, and will help you decide how best to satisfy your appetite--there is free delivery to the flat. If you like South Indian food, there's a great takeway which has delicious curd rice and dosas. I ate at another " round-the corner" 5 minutes' walk restaurant called Flaming Chili Peppers (I think) with superb boneless marinated chicken.

Staff include housekeepr Thapa with his big smile and cooking skills, and tall handsome Ghopal who will probably drive you to and/or from Chhoti, and get you to the airport terminal for departure.(My reservation said Terminal 5, but Ghopal insisted it was Terminal 3--on my own, it'd have been a wild goose chase, as there is NO Term 5 at IGIA)

The owners are the Mainis--Surinder and Pawan-- who live in a separate flat below. They're down one landing if you need them, and Surinder drops by the "haveli" to make sure all is well, but you never feel you are in the way, or vice versa.

Surinder is a warm, petite, graceful woman who cares about her guests enjoying their home awway from home. Tell her what you'd like to do--touring or shopping-- and she'll help map it out in a logical order, and will give instructions to a cab driver (including to avoid the "emporiums" if you want to).

Rates are extremely reasonable for this level of accomodation in Delhi. I expected to pay a full additional day/night, as my flight did not depart until 1 a.m. This is standard practice at most hotels and homestays, if guests stay beyond 6 pm...after all, even if you leave at 9pm, that room is unusable that night should another guest need it. But Surinder insisted that a half-day's rate was all she'd accept!

For those wanting to travel via the new metro (on my list for next time in Delhi) there is a stop a couple km away.

For me, the South Delhi location was excellent I enjoyed being in an area away from the major hubbub, but a easy and safe walk (no fear crossing the street!) to food and ATM, and very close to the airport , making it a perfect pre-departure B and B. Note that Delhi is a huge city, and no one place is "right" in the center --there are numerous places for visitors to see, from one end of town to another.

There are accommodations with larger public rooms, bigger bathrooms with the latest in designer sinks, etc . But there is no place bigger on charm, comfort, and hominess, and the feeling of being a welcomed guest.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank calinurse
Hayle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Having been let down by another B & B in Delhi, we booked at the very last minute - literally as we walked out of our home in Cornwall, UK. But, everything ran very smoothly. We were picked up at the airport as arranged and driven safely to Chhoti Haveli.

We were greeted by Surinder and Thapa. After a lovely , lovely cup of tea and a rest, Surinder helped us with our plans of how to get around Delhi and see all we'd planned to see.

We stayed for four nights and found our room clean, comfortable and all round very pleasant with toiletries, towels, hot shower and a heater (Delhi in January can be quite cold).
I would say the property is very secure, there is security at the entrance of Sector A pocket A and there appears to be someone around to make sure all your needs are met.
In true Indian hospitality - there are no set rules for breakfast - If your leaving at 5.30 in the morning you get breakfast, likewise if you need a lie in you'll still get breakfast being offered a choice of Indian or European the night before - and very good it is too! Thanks Thapa.
We knew that we wanted to do the 'Golden Triangle'. Surinder helped us with this, arranging a driver and suggesting accommodation in Jaipur (which was excellent), we found our own accommodation in Agra which probably wouldn't have been up to Surinder's high standards but it was very cheap (600 rupee's for the room), and with an added bonus of being a stone's throw from the Taj Mahal - so it served our purpose very well. Prior to this we had been drawn into one of the government tourist office's where we had been quoted £425 for this trip for 2 persons. I haven't worked it out but I'm sure that we paid less than half this amount , making a great saving - I'm sure, it could have been much cheaper if we'd traveled by train - but, time didn't permit this - next time, maybe........

I felt very safe with our driver Charon, although my husband was gripping the seat at times on the road from Jaipur, back to Delhi ( recently, featured on The Christmas special - 'Top Gear' - and I think Jeremy Clarkson was gripping his steering wheel too). Although Charon didn't speak a great deal of English we were always taken where we wanted to go, and we could make ourselves understood. I asked him if we could find a shop to buy a present which a friend had requested - a tiffin tin . He looked around and stopped at a shop which had fixed prices - 114 rupee's . I was very impressed, and our friend was delighted with his gift.

We returned back to Chhorti Haveli for another nights stay and an early morning flight to Goa, booking for our last night on return from Goa before our flight home to the UK.

All in all it was a very good holiday indeed. There are still many more sights we would like to see in India, and when we are in Delhi again - Yes, we will stay with Surinder, and her family, and would not hesitate in recommending them to our friends.

By the way did I tell you.....you get a lovely , lovely cup of tea!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple