New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Restaurant Milano

Restaurant Milano
Ranked #47 of 69 Restaurants in Bocas Town
Cuisines: Italian
“The best Italian food in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Gnocchi alla gorgonzola is the most memorable meal I have had in my life!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Panama City, Panama
“Milano Restaurant- Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

I have not stayed in Swan´s Bay Hotel, but I recently ate at their restaurant, Milano and it was one of the worse experiences I have had dining. First of all, this is one of the most expensive restaurants in Isla Colon, so you expect to be served and treated for what you are paying for... this was not the case! I went with my mom and as soon as we sat down, they turned off the music, it was like dining in the the hotel from The Shinnig, and it was very hot in the dining room, we were sweating in there, but stayed looking forward to a nice meal. We should have taken the lack of air conditioning as a sign to get out of there!!

The waiter was very pleasant and accomodating, but that´s as far as it goes. We asked for a brandy alexander and the waiter didn´t know how to make it, no biggie, we just explained to him how to make it. The waiter went to the owner, an italian lady that only passed byt he table to make sure that we were aware that if we ordered risotto, it would take a while, and came back to us telling us that he could not make the drink. I ordered wine and the risotto, and contently waited for it. When our food arrived, the four cheese risotto tasted like parmesan cheese, really strongly, and only parmesan cheese. Seriously, it was like having a forkfull of grated parmesan cheese. I even joked with my mom that they should have charged me $3.99 for the cheese and just served it to me in a bowl. I did not like it and when the waiter came over to ask if everything was ok, I told him that the risotto was not good and asked if he could change it. He told me he could not but would check what he could do. A few minutes later he came back and told me that if the risotto was not to my liking that I shouldnt have to eat it, took the plate away and offered me more bread to accompany what my mother had shared with me: not another plate, not a free dessert, just more bread! If I wanted to eat bread, I would not have been sitting in this ostentacious restaurant, sweating like mad and waiting more that 25 minutes for my meal.

When the bill arrived, they were charging me for the risotto!!! I am a restaurant owner myself, so I know what the protocal is supposed to be when a customer turns back a plate. We asked to talk to the owner, and the waiter talked to her and came back saying that she would not talk to us and that we had to pay the risotto. I told him that if they were going to charge me for it, that I would take it to go and give it to somebody else, knowing fully well that they would not have the risotto. How do you charge a person for a plate they turned back, never offer to replace it with something else and then send your staff to tell your dissatisfied customers that you will not talk to them????? Finally, after about 15 minutes of the poor waiter sending messages back and forth, the risotto was taken off the bill, but only because we played her nasty game and asked for the disgusting thing to go.

The rest of the food was not bad, but only ok, I cannot speak very highly of an italian restaurant that serves their caprese salad with a bottle of Heinz Balsamic Vinegar.

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT SPONSOR THIS RESTAURANT and it´s owners, they do not treat their customers well and you can definitely have a better meal in any other place in Bocas.

4 Thank puertorrican