All reviewsfree kayaksnatural poolbeach cabanasri lankapolished concretesafe areaswimming areamosquito netrestaurant area istwo nightsstrong currentstuk tukgreat cabanasparadise on earthhigh wavescold beerno hot water
Reviewed 11 August 2012

A little out of the way from tangalle.cabanas are well made and very clean. Nice ocean breeze blowing thru wooden slats and quirky underground bathroom.not recommended for anyone unsteady on their feet or with small children as stairs are very steep.shower has excellent pressure.a hook for the floor hatch would be a great safety addition so as to not knock you out if it falls down.they provide beach towels.beach is very rough,too rough to swim.guy who check us in was great but wait staff could be more attentive.having to order dinner at 4pm was a bit odd.their sister property has the same boaring menu.free wifi.nice location

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We just finished our stay at the Mangrove chalets and we cant wait to share a great review. It is simple, yet stylish. Prisitne postcard beaches that are virtually empty. Fantastic staff who bent over backward for us, even made us a birthday cake one evening. Simple but delicious food. Great for families because of the family chalets. We spent our days playing in thie waves as kayaking in the lagoon. The perfect holiday, we didnt want to leave!

Room Tip: The chalets are a bit more upscale than the cabanas
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brusselsprout2012
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Well I'm a local. And for a local beaches of Sri Lanka is not much of a big deal. But that all changed when I visited Mangrove beach cabanas. The hotel was the most serene one I've ever been to. If you want to relax and let the stress go away this is the perfect stop. I stated for two days and the experience was amazing. Everything from environment to food was perfect.

There are no modern luxuries here. No TV, no wifi. (But there is hot/cold water) Who needs them when you come to relax. It's just complete calmness. The staff was so friendly. We do not experience the that level of friendliness in 4/5 stars in Colombo even. However none of these were the highlight of my visit.

It was the FOOD. First night I had a western meal which was great. Second day I opted for local cuisine which completely threw me off guard. It was so tasty that I ate so much. It was the best local food I ever had. Trust me. The cooking was simply unbelievable. My post may sound a bit over-hyped. But it is really that good. If you do get here make sure to ask for a fish curry with white rice and some veggies. You will be blown away.

Room Tip: If you are going for a family chalet make sure to pick one closer to the beach
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TM_Fallen
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This place is heaven! I was there last May and I am going again in 5 weeks time - must experience a great pleasure again! - it has a beautiful clean beach with no hawkers, very few tourists and only a handful of fishermen unloading their catch (which you will probably have at your meal later on!). There are cabanas and bungalows; I stayed in a bungalow and found it to be very comfortable; the bed linen was spotless as was the room and bathroom where everything worked. You can sleep with the windows open (they) have mosquito netting) listening to the sea and in the early morning, the birds. The food is extremely good; the staff are most helpful and courteous. It is so lovely there that I hesitate to "advertise" it as it would be such a shame if it were spoilt by hoards of tourists.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, but who needs that when you are on an Indian Ocean beach?
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed as a family in the Mangrove Chalets. We actually booked in the cabanas but they put us in the chalets and must say that was good. The chalets are fabulous and offer 2 doubles beds divided by a wall. Good bathroom and a nice terrace to sit back under some palm trees after a day on the beach. The beach is 50m away and the sea pool (created by a natural barrier) makes it excellent for children to swim and play as the waves are too high in the area. The sea pool still offers enough waves and current to make it fun for everybody. The best part is the breakfast or lunch on the beach bar. Top location to enjoy the sea and sun. The restaurant in the back looks also fabulous and food is good. The only remark is that the menu is limited so if you stay more than a week you start eating the same every day. Saff was very friendly. Top place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family