“Sirigirya Looks Better When You’re Not Standing On It!”
Review of Pidurangala Rock

Pidurangala Rock
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Sigiriya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Pidurangala is a massive rock formation located a few kilometers north of Sigiriya in Sri Lanka. It has an interesting history closely related to that of the Sigiriya Rock Fortress. Climbing to the top of Pidurangala Rock is more strenuous than climbing Sigiriya. If you are fit and adventurous it is a climb worth making. It will take you about two hours. There is far less to see on this site than Sigiriya
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

OK, it’s probably sacrilege to compare a world heritage site to a similarly sized lump of rock, but my visit to Pidurangala Rock instead of Sirigirya turned out to be a worthwhile experience. I’d been put off by stories of the cost, crowds and hassle of visiting Sirigirya, and other reviews here detail some of the scrapes you can get into there. Pidurangala Rock is affordable (500 Rp), very sparsely visited, an equal climbing challenge, no bee/hornets nests, no con artists that I came across, there’s a beautiful reclining Buddha near the summit, AND you get a great view of Sirigirya itself! Not the same as the real thing, I’ll concede, but good enough for me

1  Thank Mike P
in 35 reviews
"stone steps"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

After reading reviews, We decided to climb this rock instead of the nearby Sigriya Rock. Our main considerations were the volume of fellow climbers, the heat and the cost.
We Had four children aged between 7 and 12 years and they all managed it easily and scrambled up the last part ahead of the adults!
The views were spectacular and it was very serene due to the small number of fellow walkers.
Whilst the day was hot, we didn’t find the climb too hot as most of it was in shade of the bush. There was some amazing old ruins built into the rock so we felt we were experiencing a Historical site as well as a very scenic one.
We were very happy with our decision and we all enjoyed the experience.

1  Thank Heather R
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was there in February 2018, with family and kids. We went there from dambulla before sunset time. Met many monkeys at the parking place, was happy to feed them with bananas I took with. Climbing was nice, not always simple, but it's ok for kids and for old aged tourists. View from the top is stunning, many people sit there waiting for sunset. But be aware that become dark immediately after sunset, and could be dangerous to go back, so better to go back about 10 minutes before sunset and take flashlight with.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was so happy with the Lanka Tour Drivers services. I booked a day tour to Sigiriya & Dabulla with safari to Minneriya. It was amazing experience. I have no hesitation in recommending Lanka Tours to anyone looking for a best tour company in Sri Lanka.

3  Thank JemsJack