“Good place”

Ranked #29 of 185 Restaurants in Kandy
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Italian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: White House has now moved to No 42, Dalada Veediya, Kandy. Please look for "Foodlands Restaurant" as we have rebranded with a new look. Foodlands celebrates 26 years of operation in the town Kandy and is part of local food scenario for over 2 decades and popular with the locals. Serving Sri Lankan, Indian & Chinese Cuisine, Foodlands also does a real Tandoor much to delight of all those who love their meats char grilled. What’s more, the fresh bakery & pastry products are a real treat to those who crave for indulgence.
Reviewed 6 November 2016

Dropped by for lunch,

Downstairs seem to be a bit of a crowded affair, with a budged feel to it, while upstairs is more of a proper sit down restaurant compared to downstairs.

We had Lamprice and set menu chicken rice. The food was nice, same price as downstairs but you get to have it in a more cosy and comfy environment.

as we were having a bad sore throat, I got my lime juice made in hot water which they obliged.

Would visit again.

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

White house was a restaurant that i was looking forward to visit the moment I set foot in kandy because I had read all the fantastic reviews. However all my expectations went down the hill after i visited this restaurant for a quick lunch during our visit in kandy.

But before i start on the problems i faced let me just share a few good aspects that i noticed....

The location is pretty convenient as it is located in the heart of the city and just next door to the kandy city center mall. The ambience is quite nice and the interior has a certain elegance to it. The servers were quite helpful too.

Other than these good points, the rest was a disaster.

To begin with there was NO water in the washroom! I've never come across this situation in a restaurant before! The staff did provide a jar full of water to wash our hands but this didn't feel right as it was both inconvenient and unhygenic.
We ordered the butter chicken, roti, hyderabadi biriyani and palak aloo.
The palak aloo was above average while the rest of the items we ordered was below average, especially the hyderabadi biriyani......
I've eaten loads of different kinds of biriyani before and the hyderabadi version is one of my fabourites. Its spicy, rich in flavour and the meat itself has a really good marinade. However, i couldn't find even one of these defining properties in this biriyani. It was bland with a hint of spice. The meat was also bland. This whole biriyani 'affair' was disapointing. The butter chicken was just ok.

Overall I think that we didn't get what we paid for. The standard of food was way below my expectations. Kandy is a place with a lot of other restaurants so i think that going to one of the others would be better choice than paying a visit to this place

Thank Parayil Tharach... S
Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

We went there for dinner on a rainy evening and ordered the fried noodles and the veggie korma. While the noodles were OK, the korma was absolutely lovely! We had a naan with it, very soft and tasty and ordered a parata too (coz it looked so good on the plate of the boy next to us) :-) enjoyed the korma with the different breads till the last drop

Reviewed 1 November 2016

Its a regular dining place for me on weekends. Food is very good, and less cost. Staff is good but not enough support for locals. Many foriegners from different countries visit there, which means they like the place and the taste. A good dining place in the heart of Kandy

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

The restaurant was nicely decorated and laid out but it lacked food options.
The waiters were okay but you got the impression they were getting impatient as they gave us very little time to make a decision.
The food was nice enough but was also expensive for what it was.
They didn't have many of the options on the menu and our menus had 2 different prices for everything.

I wouldn't not recommend it but there are probably better value places in town