“Best rice and curry in Sri Lanka”

Home Grown Rice and Curry
Ranked #8 of 133 Restaurants in Hikkaduwa
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were traveling for 4 weeks through Sri Lanka, and at Home Grown Rice and Curry we had the best rice and curry! Try the egg rice and curry with prawns and extra papadum!

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve walked past this restaurant a few times a day for the past 4 days, wondering if this little roadside diner would live up to it’s reviews......
Well...... for me it surpassed them. I chose prawn curry, alongside their vegetable side dishes, served with crisp poppadum and red rice. Each dish had its own unique flavour, and each one as delicious as the other.
I’m too full to try anything else but I would recommend coming here for sure.
My only criticism would be that it wasn’t spicy enough for my own palate but I’m still completely satisfied.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Decent Sri Lankan cuisine, large portions. We had curry and fried rice, both of which tasted ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. Service was good, and the location is also nice with an outside terrace.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Located off the main street (but signposted), this lovely local restaurant is protected from the road by a small garden. The menu is small, but all freshly cooked. We went for the curry and rice option and added on a prawn curry. This came with 3 types of vegetable curry (lentil dahl, pumpkin curry and beetroot curry), brown rice and a poppadom. My husband ordered the calamari curry off the specials board. All was delicious, freshly cooked and with the flavour of Sri Lanka. The standout dish was the prawn curry (spicy like Sri Lankans eat!!!) Which was out of this world! My husband needed a banana milkshake to cool his taste buds after which was also delicious. Very lovely and attentive staff, would definitely recommend for excellent local food in Hikkaduwa.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Proper Sri Lankan food done simply with delicious results. One of the best value for money meals we had in Hikkaduwa.
Family run, very friendly.