“Dirty and unfriendly”
Review of Hostal Sol de Oro

Hostal Sol de Oro
Ranked #11 of 79 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2017

If I could rate this with 0 stars I would. I'm not even a piky person at all, but this place is terrible. Even if you are travelling on a budget, go somewhere else. I was in a single room with no windows and a terrible pee smell came from the bathroom. I asked for a change of room and the lady said the solution was to put on a heater "to get rid of the smell"..that did not work. I finally got changed to a double room, not good at all.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

If you are looking for a frustrating experience you have come to the right place.
Showers were horrible...the staff were downright rude at times...and the only upside was the beds were comfy.

As for the rude staff...they would go room to room asking if you were going to have breakfast..the night before.
At 1030!!

Now it is fully Spanish speaking but if you still want to give it a try...it is easy to get by with a english-spanish dictionary.

I will never stay here again

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2016 via mobile

The showers don't work properly. Sometimes the water doesn't warm. Some rooms doesn't have windows and smells not so good because of its. Anyway, it's a good idea if you are looking for a good cost benefit relation.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Sol de Oro is located on the less touristy side of Aguas Calientes and close to the train tracks. At $40 USD for a double, the price is very reasonable considering Aguas Calientes tends to be more expensive than most other locations in the Cusco region. We have actually stayed here on several occasions as we like the price, the hotel is generally quiet, even considering it's proximity to the train station, and the rooms have always been clean and the beds comfortable. If you are looking for a budget friendly option and are considering Sol de Oro, I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

I really want to like this hostel after hearing it was very close to the train station and that it's centrally located in town, making it easy to get anywhere.

While that's all true, I couldn't leave the place fast enough, despite only being there two nights.

First, the good: it is centrally located and next to everything in town. But so is everything else in town, because Machu Picchu pueblo is extremely tiny itself. You can stay anywhere in town and be a 10 minute walk from anything else. So you will see reviews that mention how close it is to everything, but EVERYTHING is close to everything, so those reviews don't make much sense to me.

Now, the not-so-good: The staff, as others have mentioned, are pretty unfriendly. They watch TV and hold loud conversations until late at night; this is a problem because sound reverberates HEAVILY through the building. If you stay here you HAVE I bring ear plugs! Don't take that advice lightly! I wore earplugs both nights and at one point around 11pm I still had to go out and ask one of the teenage girls working there if she could turn the TV down, because I was getting up early (like everyone else) for my trek up to Machu Picchu. She gave me a very dirty stare and acted like she didn't know what I was saying, so I picked up the remote control and turned it down myself, and she did not look too pleased about it.

Possibly the worst part of my stay: I had the first floor room, which is a private room with a large window facing the indoor stairway (if you use this hostel you'll see what I'm talking about upon arrival). There isn't an actual window to the outside of the building.

Why is this a problem? There is ZERO ventilation when you use the shower. This building is 100% plaster, so nothing is getting out without some type of window or air vent. I was taking five-minute showers and none of the humidity built up would vent out of the room...at all. At one point I left for about six hours, came back, and the mirror in the bathroom was still heavily fogged up from the shower I took that morning. Again: there is nowhere for the humidity to go. You're stuck with it building up on your clothes, sheets, and mattress until you leave.

Why was this a huge problem for me outside of my clothes smelling like mold after a day? I'm allergic to mold. And my bed clearly had mold issues, because for two days now (I left yesterday) my throat's been extremely tight and I've been coughing like a madman. And if you don't have allergy medicine, good luck finding any in town - it doesn't exist. In fact, after hours of searching, I'm pretty sure I found the only two rolls of Halls cough drops in all of Machu Picchu!

I travel weekly for work and have stayed in hostels all over the world...this was by far the biggest nightmare stay of my life. I won't even talk about the bread-and-butter-only breakfast.

Part of me feels bad for writing this because you know the family that owns the hostel doesn't make much money, so I'd hate to steer people away from helping them generate revenue for themselves, but the fact is Machu Picchu is a one-in-a-lifetime experience and the last thing you want to worry about throughout your stay is how you're going to sleep and why you're not breathing properly every time you're laying in bed. Avoid at all costs.

Stayed: July 2016