“Hidden treasure” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Welcome Centre Hotels

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Welcome Centre Hotels
Ranked #9 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria
“Hidden treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Not sure they appreciate what they have here. Really good structure, good facilities, lovely morning breakfast, good for company meetings and getaways.

Poor location for moving about, but close enough to the airport if you are not interested in seeing lagos

Room Tip: Take the delue and biz suites, really nice. Also be sure the wifi gets to your room otherwise you ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I would like to advise readers that I have had a visit from the the hotel customer relations officer personally in my room to view issues and discuss the down falls of the hotel room. A very nice lady who was extremely apologetic and understanding and who I am sure will work on making a difference to this hotel in the near future.
I have made her aware that I will share my experience on the trip advisor in order to SHARE my personal view

When the driver tried to get to the hotel he had to hit the back road as access was impossible on the normal main road. I will not go into detail regarding the area as this is not the most important issue concerning the hotel.

Reception and check in was fast and efficient - no other guests were around so it was an easy exercise. I was slightly delayed in leaving the desk for personal reasons and had to witness how one of the lady receptionists engaged in a back and forth heated argument with another staff member behind a glass cabin, which I found extremely unprofessional.
I was checked into room 306 - When I entered, I looked at the room with very mixed feelings. The door frame showed traces of being broken into. As a result of broken frame the security chain was missing.

A very modern flat screen TV and efficient aircon, gave an updated feel to the room. The sheets were crisp white and clean and the bed a pleasure to sleep in, however the bed frame together with the rest of the interior very outdated, which gave the room a "grubby" feeling. The pictures on the wall in the room looked filthy - but it became apparent that the grime was a result of the moisture INSIDE the picture. The lampshade showed traces of moulde and the tiled floors were full of grime.

The bathroom is sporting the cleanest crisp white towels and new shower curtains. However,tiles are full of grime and the grout is moulding. There is a water bucket standing in the corner upside down with a small plastic bowl on top of it- not too sure what is the purpose of that decor. No bath plug present and impossible to communicate a request to receive one to have a bath.

Telephone communication is a massive challenge. Telephone lines in rooms are only for hotel -room to room - or internal calls to be made. Receiving calls from an outside lines or international calls can prove a massive challenge as the switchboard wasnt able to transfer any calls, which means you have to stand at reception to make your calls to the outside world.

The internet is free of charge but a struggle most of the times with regards to efficiency and speed of the net.

I got "hi-jacked in the elevator" to the "4th floor" when I pressed Floor 3 (there is NO 4th floor available and was confused when it indicated that I was on floor 4). However the doors didnt open. It took me quite some time, pressing on the alarm, before suddenly the elevator kicked into motion, stopping on the 1st floor. On my exit NON OF THE STAFF were actually even aware that I was stuck and when adressing it to one of the girls she had a "not bothered" attitude saying that it was normal to get stuck and it happens all the time. I learned later during the day that one of the regular guests confirmed that it was a regular issue to get stuck in lifts.
Please take not that there was NO power failure during this period referred to.
Load shedding is extremely frequent - far more so than other hotels I have stayed in in Nigeria.

When I requested to get an iron and iron board I received it is such filthy state that when I put the iron to my white shirt it left a pitch black mark on my shirt instantly.

The hotel insists on check out time to be adhered to and do not accommodate a "late check out" system.

This hotel has a potential for improvement as the management seemed to care and all staff are extremely friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ChancebyChanel
Ennis, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

This hotel offers good value (by Lagos standards) , security , working facilities and a location close to the airport. It fails to match up to its website claim "5 star" and the quality of its food is not on a par with the rest of the hotel.Its a compromise that I would choose to make again especially if I had an early morning or late evening departure from the airport.

Basics: rooms are clean, serviced properly every day and well equipped - safes, hair dryers, tv, kettle tea/coffee, telephone . WiFi internet works well . If you prefer not to bring a laptop there are four computers in the business centre but be careful to cover any confidential info and passwords after you log out.

There is a small bar area suitable for meetings during the day and conference rooms are available. The main conference centre itself leaves a lot to be desired - I presented a paper at a conference and found my voice bouncing back at me from the tiled walls.

The food is not in line with the rest of the hotel. The breakfast buffet is not too bad but the dinner buffet at Naira 4000 is overpriced and usually not warm enough certainly over the five days that I stayed there. If you are going to serve a hot buffet then you must know how to keep it hot. I had a look into the kitchen and it looked clean

Staff are pleasant. Do not be alarmed if they cannot find your reservation on arrival that is standard practice . They may suggest that they only have a higher grade/more expensive room available but stick to your guns no need to get excited and it will be resolved. Bring a reservation copy and send them an email before you arrive and keep a copy of the exchange with you.

They organise an airport pick up service - use it. Lagos airport arrivals are a swamp and said to be dangerous . It costs Naira3500 as compared to Naira2000 by taxi but its worth it to be met inside the terminal and pass through the scrimmage outside with the driver. It also gets around the problem of the missing reservation.
You are warned to be careful in Lagos but my experience there both of the hotel and the airport has been much the same as any other major African city. Keep your wits about you, smile, observe the usual precautions as you would anywhere and it can be interesting and enjoyable.

Room Tip: It is quieter to the rear of the building
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Discoverireland
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

After having stayed in a few hotels in this area, I now found one that I okay to visit again. It's not my best choice but considering the standards locally this is my only choice as it is also close to my place of work. My only concern is that for the price. Lagos demands high prices but basic in return.

Anyways, breakfast was okay and ala carte menu was excellent choices. Not sure of quality but one never knows. The pizza I had was perfect Nigerian style.

There is a gym and squash court. Amazing.

It's going to cost me, but if I want good basic standards I'll stick to the Welcome Hotel in Lagos.

• Stayed September 2011
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week (12-18 Sep 2011). It was a pleasant surprise that a hotel that good could go for that rate in that part of Lagos. Now, don't get me wrong: the rate was high compared to similar hotels in the US. But by Lagos standards, it was relatively affordable. The staff were generally helpful and eager to help. Everything worked---the internet access, the swimming pool, the gym, the elevator, warm water, the TV, the safe and the phone system. I had previously stayed at a different hotel a month earlier (De Renaisance, also at Ikeja, Lagos) where most of those conveniences did not work, though they were aggressively advertised.
A few negative experiences that I had must also be mentioned. The front desk could not find my reservation, though I provided them with my confirmation number. I had to forward a copy of my confirmation email to the hospital's email addresses before I was confirmed. Incidentally, one of the email addresses was dead; the mail bounced back. Who knew--maybe that was the email the hotel gave to hotels.com where I booked my stay.
While there, I stayed in Room 306 for several days. At different times in the day and in the early morning hours, there were foul odors that were mysteriously sensed in the room. The odors were so strong you had to leave the room for a while, with windows opened. It was like the stench of poop. I reported this, and the room maids promptly came, but couldn't do much. Moreover, it was time for me to move out anyhow, so I don't know if they ended up taking care of the problem. It was a really awful smell.
A very negative experience that I had was with the kitchen supervisor. On my way back from my outing the day before my departure, I had stayed out a bit late. Knowing that the restaurants would be closed around Ikeja area, I decided to buy my dinner at another restaurant at one Cement bus stop (this was served in a styrofoam container). But when I reached the hotel, I could not eat, so I kept it in the refrigerator in my room until the following day. At checkout time, I wanted to warm the food so I could eat it for lunch. And that was where the drama started. There was no microwave in the rooms, and the kitchen staff adamantly refused to allow me to warm it, because I did not buy the food in the hotel. I was dumbfounded. Here was a guest who had stayed at the hotel for a full week, and he needed to warm his meal--only once--throughout his stay, and the hotel staff refused? The reasons they gave were totally crass and absolutely insane. They said it was their policy not to warm foods for guests, or allow guests to warm any food not bought in the hotel. I tried to convince them that I had paid good money for the food, and I didn't want it to waste. The kitchen supervisor wouldn't budge. She asked me to go tell them at the front desk, to see if they would allow me to. I went to the front desk. Although the guy there was helpful, trying to convince the kitchen supervisor; she wouldn't budge still.
I was told their next boss was one Jeff Fischer, but he was not available to speak with me (it was on a Sunday). In any case, after about 30 minutes of back and forth arguments, I decided to leave without warming the food. I ended up driving more than 20 miles to a friend's house to go warm the food.
It was a very disappointing experience. I am sure the building wouldn't burn down if I had been allowed to warm my food for a mere 60 seconds, using the readily available microwave in the dining room. Yet, we wasted 30 minutes arguing over non-issues.
Although I would still say my stay was overall a good experience, this hotel and many in Nigeria have some way to go in the provision of customer service. The goal of any hotel should be to help their guests have a positive experience, not to enforce some insane and stupid rules that make no sense.
So, if you're going to stay at this hotel, avoid Room 306; never ask for microwave service (even, if due to health reasons, you cannot eat the food served at the hotel); and bring a copy of your reservation confirmation with you. You are very likely to have a very good stay!

Room Tip: Again, room 306 should be a no-no, unless of course something has been done to eliminate that awful...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business