All reviews rooms were very clean camel ride wifi dunes dinner stars morocco
Reviewed 10 May 2018

I have not rated Dar El Janoub 5-stars because it is an over-the-top luxurious hotel. I have given the rating based on its overall combination of location, room quality, amenities, service and food.

First is the location. It is immediately beside the dunes. You can sit on the shaded patio and enjoy a cold beer (yes, they serve alcohol) staring out at the dunes, you can arrange a camel ride from the doorstep, or you can hike up into the dunes at sunset and sunrise, as we did.

The rooms are actually self-contained cabins. There is an immense sense of privacy. The rooms themselves are larger than the norm in Morocco, with fairly basic furnishings.

There is a modest-sized pool, more for cooling off than getting a strenuous swim workout. The rooftop deck is nice for star-watching at night.

The dining room is very nice. Dinner was a set menu. The food was very good. I saw another review saying it was their best meal in Morocco. I wouldn't go that far, but it was all we could ask for.

Breakfast is a fairly basic buffet set out in the dining room, mostly a selection of Moroccan and European-style pastries along with a few hot dishes.

One drawback is the wifi. The signal really only works near the reception area. It is free though and you're on vacation so quit checking your work emails. (As I frequently told my wife!)

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2017

it was our first trip in marocco with our children (10-12 years old) and at the end, has been one of the best trip made with them until today. Live and taste a different culture, was incredible for all of us.
All these sensations in a hotel simply fantastic!!!. small hotel but with all facilities that you can need to relax. Only at 200m in front of the first Sahara dunes with an incredible staff who was always attending in all little details. Big and clean rooms and fabulous food.
Take your brekfast in the terrace with the sound of Sahara silence was unforggetable for all of us. Thanks to all people who made fantastic and unique this hotel and our stay!!
continue in this way!!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 276stefano
dareljanoub, Reception at Dar El Janoub, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear ,

Thank you for your positive comment ! Everyday, we give our best to make you feel welcome and have a great experience in our hotel. I am really glad you like it. I am glad to you enjoy the breakfast, the localization and the other services. I hope to welcome you very soon at Dar eljanoub, you are here At Home.

Reviewed 30 January 2017

We stayed here overnight as part of a private tour so we could experience the desert. Because we stayed out in the dunes until the sun went down we arrived after dark and didnt get an opportunity to look around. Our room was at the end of a walkway overlooking the desert which was an awesome sight the next day.
The room itself was spartan but comfortable with seriously heavy bedding and heating for the cold weather. Minimal toiletries in the bathroom but a proper shower cubicle which was not always the case in the kasbahs. Hot water was intermittent.
The highlight of our stay here was our dinner in front of the fire. The courses of food just kept on coming and it was all good. Salad, harira soup, lamb and prune tagine and orange dessert. Served with panache and great versions of each dish. Luckily the cold weather enabled us to do justice to it. Breakfast was just as good, far more than we could eat.
Wifi is problematic here, we found reception was ok for it. Service was very friendly and we would like to return some time for desert vistas and the great food.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 September 2016

The hotel is one of the most southern ones in Hassilabied, little north of Merzouga. It's easy to find and offers many parking spots with shadow. The whole area is surrounded by a wall and gates which are closed during the night and there is video supervision on the entrances, so one does really feel save there. The room was nice with a great view into the dunes. The pool is a nice possibility to refresh since it can be really hot during summer days. From the terasse or the roof of the main building there is a nice view into the desert. Breakfast was really good and the staff always helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2016

So poor we forfetted hotel cost & moved to another place. Very run down, dirty pool, ripped chair cushions, etc.

Only reason given a 2 star vs 1 star is that the staff were very helpful and polite.

Claim be on the dunes...sort of...pay the extra and go for a dessert camp instead. You'll be glad you did,

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple