“Best beach in Redang... BUT...”

The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Milan, Italy
“Best beach in Redang... BUT...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

I've just been to Berjaya Redang.

Well, first of all, let me tell you: the beach is really one of the best I've seen in my life, and I've been to Hawaii, Caribbean, Maldives, Phi Phi, etc... You will NOT be dissapointed by the beach and by the bay, it is truly spectacular.

The hotel itself is old but has undergone a massive refurbishment, so it is OK now.

Don't expect to find a boutique hotel with some Thai or Balinese atmosphere, because that's just not the case. Berjaya Redang is a standard hotel with standard amenities. For me the hotel is 3 stars superior, it is definitely not a 4-stars.

Be warned about the rooms: some of them have not yet been refurbished and they are REALLY old. These old rooms are the "superior rooms" situated in a two story building near the reception. Do NOT book these rooms.

We've booked an Hill View room, and we were satisfied. These rooms are brand new and big. They are of a 3 stars superior standard. We did not book a Sea View as we spend very little time in our room, we stay in the room only to sleep at night, and enjoy the beach all day long.

Big problems with these new rooms: the communicating door between rooms... If your neighbor is noisy, well, you will simply find it very difficult to sleep, believe me ! It's a major problem because it makes the room very noisy... We were fortunate because the couple occupying the room next to us was absolutely lovely and... QUIET.

The snorkelling is fabulous in the bay: there are lot of tropical fish, and there are two giant turtles, and it's very easy to swim with them: just take a kayak, go in the direction of the fabulous deserted beach on the other side of the bay, and here we go: this is where the giant turtles are living !

Believe it or not: most Berjaya guests stayed all day long around the swimming pool, unaware of the fantastic snorkelling just meters from them... One evening we spoke about the fantastic snorkelling with some other guests and they were like: "oh really, there are fishes and turtles in the bay in front of us ?!" ... Sounds crazy huh ?

Well, the beach is fabulous, the Hill View rooms are OK, the snorkelling is marvellous, so where are the problems, huh ?

Well, first of all, how is it possible to run a motorized water sports center in a bay like this ?! When we were there, hotel guests would do banana riding and parasailing all day long... We were on the beach and we went crazy with the very noisy and lousy boats that the hotel staff uses for the motorized water sports... It was like "BRRRRR PRRRRR VRRROOOOOOMMMMM" all day long... Lot of oil in the sea as a direct result of these motorized water sports... Needless to say, these motorized water sports are very bad for the environment, they destroy the reefs and disturb the animals life. I went to lot of tropical islands, and it's really the first time I saw such strange behaviour, it seems Berjaya does not care if in two years there will be not anymore fish, turtles or reefs in this bay... Also upon arrival at Redang airport, a Policeman told us that motorized water sports are prohibited on Redang island as it is a Protected Marine Park... Go figure !

Other problem is that Berjaya has put lot of rubbish from the previous hotel's refurbishment directly onto some rocks in the bay and in the sea... Not very smart !!!

Aside destroying the environment, there is a major problem in this resort: the food... It is overpriced and frankly very very very bad. This was a major dissapointment as we've been to lot of Thailand islands before, and the food has always been so fantastic there... But after the first day we found out a fantastic restaurant just after the hotel's exit on the main road: AIMA'S. The place itself seems not very nice at first sight, but the point is that the food is 100000 times better than at the hotel and it costs around 70% less !!! By the way, I'm French and I live in Italy, so let me tell you: I know what GOOD FOOD is !!!

Also activities and excursions are overpriced...Compared with Thailand islands, we did feel totally being ripped off.

All in all, this is a resort with major positive sides and major negative sides...

Would I go back ? I think YES, because swimming with giant turtles is a crazy experience, and to go again at AIMA'S restaurant and eat their fantastic calamari.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tiquinho
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Taupo, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

We must have had a little notice on our backs that said, Royalty here!! We were treated like Royalty. On our first day staff in both restaurants were saying hello Mr David. With 60% occupancy I was impressed. We paid for a hill view room and somehow got a fantastic sea view. The room was large, well furnished and clean. Great balcony with 2 loungers. 2 small bottles of water each day. A large bowl of fruit on one day. Good house keeping. Good buggy service if you need it from room to beach. Christine, the front office manager was a little gem. She did everything she could to try and get Malaysian airline to change our flight day. (Malaysian airline cancelled our flight Perth to KL so we lost a day at the resort. They would change the flights but wanted a lot more money!)
The water in the bay is fantastic. Clear and warm. (The resort boats diesel engines are old and polluting. I had to swim around an oil slick from one of the boats. Management, please rectify this to protect your piece of paradise.) The pool is small but the beach is better with plenty of beach loungers, but a shortage of matts to go on the loungers.
Wan Azmi Kassam the Outlet Manager, like Christine, is an asset to the company.
We had 4 nights at Berjaya. Flew down with Malaysian Airlines from KL to Kuala Terengganu. Got a 40 MYR taxi ride (15mins) to Terengganu Jetty. Tickets from Berjaya Resort ticket ‘shed’ and bags carried on and off ferry. Met by Resort bus on Redang for 5 minute ride across to the Beach Resort. When we left, Azmi picked us up in an air conditioned car and drove us over to the ferry. If you want: Good service, beautiful beach, clean water, great sea view rooms then go to Berjaya Beach Resort.

PS. I read on here a review that spoke of bed bugs. We got bitten by something, not bed bugs as the linen is changed daily and is fresh and chrisp. Maybe it was something from the sea as I was attacked both sides of my chest and my wife on the backs of her legs. The bites take a couple of days to start inching and the top comes off. It has taken a week for them to go. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kiwiglobetroter
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

My daughters and I visited Berjaya Redang on the third week of July for 6 days, 5 nights. This was our second trip to Redang, but our first visit to BRBR. Our flight from Seletar was on time. The Berjaya rep picked us up from the airport and was really helpful. He even helped us to get to our room after a very easy and relaxed check in- the reception staff sat us down at their lobby area and served us drinks, then the check in staff promptly came over and did all the rest. We stayed in a garden suite, which was really modern and clean and lovely. Bathroom was really big and beautiful. And there were 2 TV sets, so my kids did not fight over which channel to watch! Of course there were a few heat marks on the table tops, but nothing too unsightly or unexplainable. After all, there is complimentary tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Only complaint would be that the fridge was not cold - I would expect it to be at RM10 for soft drinks and RM21 for a beer.
We mostly ate at the buffet restaurant as the kids liked the food and everyone could just see and choose what they wanted. There was good variety anyway with the food being largely different each day. Our favorites were the chocolate cake and an unusual dessert with a Spanish sounding name I can't remember. Also really good kimchi. And very nice perfectly done roast beef one night. Apart from one very rude and sulky waitress on the first night whom luckily was never seen again for the rest of our stay, all the other staff were fantastic, especially the little waiter with the big smile and personality. On one night we had the steamboat which was a bit disappointing.

The beach was clean enough and the water was very clear with fish coming right up to the shore. At low tide, you could wade out to waist high water and see corals and brightly colored fish. Be careful if you feed them though, as the big silver ones with the yellow spots, bite. My 2 older daughters and I took turns to try out the discovery dives - the youngest was too young as you had to be 8 to do the "bubble maker" and 10 to go on discovery dive. I was very impressed, even though she was disappointed, that they were quite strict and would not allow her to go on 'bubble maker' even though she will be 8 soon. Both the 6 meter and 12 meter discovery dives we went on were great. On my 12 meter dive, the weather was not good, so visibility not too good and instructor had to take alternative route due to strong currents, but he managed to spot a hawks bill turtle for us, swimming nearby. Took me a while to figure out what he was pointing at, but it really made my day! Lots of anemone and clown fish and brightly colored clams so water must have been quite clean. The water sports center staff were all really helpful and friendly which helped as we were quite nervous at first. The lady at the counter, Haseni, was really efficient and knowledgeable and dive instructor Mohd. Nasri was a big hit with the kids. The manager was always nearby to see all was ok and answer any questions. The snorkelling trip was quite expensive, and only about 3 hours, but it covered 4 sites and was actually long enough. Boat was big and in good condition. We took a snorkelling trip to the Marine Park with an outside company (lady has a desk under the stairs near the restaurant) as Berjaya did not do a trip there. Price was much cheaper than one stop snorkelling for Berjaya, but immediately you could see why.
This is more expensive than the places on the main beach, but it is peaceful and quiet with no beach discos to keep you up at night. The beach is private and you can easily paddle or swim to another beach on the right which is even quieter! The food is much better than the resort on the main Pasir Panjang beach we stayed at a couple of years ago. And the staff are on the whole more courteous, polite and friendly. We were really hoping to make another trip back at end of August as we enjoyed our visit in July so much (even the sand flies which come out in the evening and their bites which stayed with us for 3 weeks after did not put us off!), but unfortunately the resort is fully booked. Ho hum...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank hawksbill2
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

We stayed here for a couple of nights on an island hopping trip around Malaysia.

The place has to be seen. I could quite easily stay for months! We stayed for 3 days and 2 nights, in a hill view room. This included Breakfast, Dinner, high speed WiFi and a snorkeling trip (a must!) amongst other things. This set us back £110 per room, per night.

The staff can't do enough for you and are the friendliest that we have encountered. Manager: Ismail Abdullah is a credit to the company. Nothing was too much trouble. It is clear that he was very well liked amongst the residents also.

Beautiful beach, beautiful pool, lush surroundings, massive rooms and the best food I have possibly ever tasted makes this hotel top of the list for me.

I will definitely return with my girlfriend in the near future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Having a great time at the resort and enjoying the snorkling, my son ( 11 years old ) had a serious accident during one of the snorkling trips. He had a huge cut in his head. Triporganizers managed to get a speedboat at the snorkling area within 5 minutes. The speedboat took us within 5 minutes to the resortdocter who did a wonderfull job stitching his skin together. Doctor told us that x-rays should be taken. The staff of the resort managed to organize within 10 minutes a speedboat to Terreganu where a driver was waiting to go to the clinic. Resortstaff waited for my son and wife to come back from hospital to bring them back to the resort, they went back in spite of low tide and no daylight ( first time for them ). When we came back the doctor and staff showed sincere interest in the wellbeing of my son. I am very greatfull for everything they did. And my son is OKAY !!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
32.7 km away
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#3 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK