I've just been to Berjaya Redang.
Well, first of all, let me tell you: the beach is really one of the best I've seen in my life, and I've been to Hawaii, Caribbean, Maldives, Phi Phi, etc... You will NOT be dissapointed by the beach and by the bay, it is truly spectacular.
The hotel itself is old but has undergone a massive refurbishment, so it is OK now.
Don't expect to find a boutique hotel with some Thai or Balinese atmosphere, because that's just not the case. Berjaya Redang is a standard hotel with standard amenities. For me the hotel is 3 stars superior, it is definitely not a 4-stars.
Be warned about the rooms: some of them have not yet been refurbished and they are REALLY old. These old rooms are the "superior rooms" situated in a two story building near the reception. Do NOT book these rooms.
We've booked an Hill View room, and we were satisfied. These rooms are brand new and big. They are of a 3 stars superior standard. We did not book a Sea View as we spend very little time in our room, we stay in the room only to sleep at night, and enjoy the beach all day long.
Big problems with these new rooms: the communicating door between rooms... If your neighbor is noisy, well, you will simply find it very difficult to sleep, believe me ! It's a major problem because it makes the room very noisy... We were fortunate because the couple occupying the room next to us was absolutely lovely and... QUIET.
The snorkelling is fabulous in the bay: there are lot of tropical fish, and there are two giant turtles, and it's very easy to swim with them: just take a kayak, go in the direction of the fabulous deserted beach on the other side of the bay, and here we go: this is where the giant turtles are living !
Believe it or not: most Berjaya guests stayed all day long around the swimming pool, unaware of the fantastic snorkelling just meters from them... One evening we spoke about the fantastic snorkelling with some other guests and they were like: "oh really, there are fishes and turtles in the bay in front of us ?!" ... Sounds crazy huh ?
Well, the beach is fabulous, the Hill View rooms are OK, the snorkelling is marvellous, so where are the problems, huh ?
Well, first of all, how is it possible to run a motorized water sports center in a bay like this ?! When we were there, hotel guests would do banana riding and parasailing all day long... We were on the beach and we went crazy with the very noisy and lousy boats that the hotel staff uses for the motorized water sports... It was like "BRRRRR PRRRRR VRRROOOOOOMMMMM" all day long... Lot of oil in the sea as a direct result of these motorized water sports... Needless to say, these motorized water sports are very bad for the environment, they destroy the reefs and disturb the animals life. I went to lot of tropical islands, and it's really the first time I saw such strange behaviour, it seems Berjaya does not care if in two years there will be not anymore fish, turtles or reefs in this bay... Also upon arrival at Redang airport, a Policeman told us that motorized water sports are prohibited on Redang island as it is a Protected Marine Park... Go figure !
Other problem is that Berjaya has put lot of rubbish from the previous hotel's refurbishment directly onto some rocks in the bay and in the sea... Not very smart !!!
Aside destroying the environment, there is a major problem in this resort: the food... It is overpriced and frankly very very very bad. This was a major dissapointment as we've been to lot of Thailand islands before, and the food has always been so fantastic there... But after the first day we found out a fantastic restaurant just after the hotel's exit on the main road: AIMA'S. The place itself seems not very nice at first sight, but the point is that the food is 100000 times better than at the hotel and it costs around 70% less !!! By the way, I'm French and I live in Italy, so let me tell you: I know what GOOD FOOD is !!!
Also activities and excursions are overpriced...Compared with Thailand islands, we did feel totally being ripped off.
All in all, this is a resort with major positive sides and major negative sides...
Would I go back ? I think YES, because swimming with giant turtles is a crazy experience, and to go again at AIMA'S restaurant and eat their fantastic calamari.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘The Taaras’ is a bespoke Private Beach Residence, tucked away and hidden from the outside world on a small Island found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Island locations in the South China Sea, the Isle of Redang is home to our natural, yet stylish resort found on one of the most spectacular bays surrounded by one of the bluest oceans on earth. The resorts ethos is to provide a contemporary, barefoot luxury experience with warm Asian hospitality, remembered with a smile long into the future. The name of the property is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘TAARA’, meaning ‘Star or Apple of my eye’ as well as ‘Goddess of the Sea’ which are all represented and epitomised by our mermaid figurehead. The resort is managed by The Taaras Luxury Group, and was formerly known as Berjaya Redang Resort managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts. With the stylish suites and rooms, as well as a stunning five bedroom Private Villa perched high up on the cliff overlooking the ocean and resort below. The resort boasts commissioned furniture and bespoke photography of Redang Island and the landscapes of Malaysia. Each suite or room contains oversized beds and hand-picked linens and fabrics for your comfort. Most rooms and all suites have larger washrooms containing both bath tub and separate rain or monsoon shower (some with spa bathtubs looking out over the rainforest or the bay). Most residences have an outdoor balcony or verandah and our suites at the top of the cliff summit have spectacular views over the beach and ocean below. For clients who prefer or require further privacy ‘The Cliff Private Villa Bay & Sea View’, our private five bedroom residence perched high up on the cliff more than meets the requirements; private access, a Villa Host at your ‘beck and call’ as well as twenty four hour security; should it be a necessary requirement. The residence also enjoys a sixteen meter Infinity swimming pool, personal fitness room and both interior and exterior lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Redang Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Redang
- Berjaya Redang Beach Hotel
- Berjaya Redang Beach Resort
- Hotel Berjaya Redang Beach