Imperial Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Yew Hotel(Miri)
View Hotel
All reviewsnew wingwashing machineshopping mallinside the buildingboth wingssmoking areasuperior roomkey cardswimming poolnasi lemakstrategic locationwithin walking distancethe ground floorqueen size bedbig mallrooms are spacious and cleanbasic amenities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed on the 20th June in one of the single-room suites on the 23rd floor. On arrival at the lobby I was not really impressed judging by the way its counter staff went about their chores with what appears to me "with little enthusiasm". On entering my room I was greeted by a stench of tobacco smoke which lingered for a while before dissipating. It was the same each time I went out and came back. Since the stench was temporary I did not ask for a change of room. The suite itself was spacious though of average size. The bathroom was fairly big with standing shower above a long, deep bathtub. I was pleasantly surprised that there was comb, toothbrush and shaver kit provided. Towels were clean and on the whole the bathroom met my expectation. The bed was a king size bed, soft with comfortable soft pillows. Complimentary mineral water (2 bottles) were provided but I do not know if they were topped up daily since I only stayed one night. The room was quiet and I could get a nice sleep at night; probably it was the highest floor. There was a large flat screen TV but the number of TV channels were extremely limited to locals terrestrial stations and a few cable channels (HBO, Phoenix, NHK). Don't bother to include buffet breakfast in your booking. Breakfast at the Palm Terrace Cafe on the 5th floor was a big disappointment with limited spread of the usual continental fares. The fruit juice tasted more like sugar water. Dinner at the restaurant next to the reception on the lobby floor was a big let down. The fish I ordered was tough and not at all flaky. The accompanying salad tasted like a ton of salt had been added. I suspect there was an overdose of MSG as I was extremely thirsty almost immediately after that. My host for the dinner and I complained to the captain who took it nonchalantly. Your money could be better spent if you walk around the hotel and have your meals at some of the shops nearby. The only saving grace about the hotel is its central location and an adjoining average shopping mall. I do not intend to stay at this hotel the next time I am in Miri.

Room Tip: Have your meals in the restaurants nearby.
Reviewed 18 June 2012

it's the same building as a shopping mall, so very convenient. great value. rooms are spacious and clean. service attitude of the staff need more improvement. the in house fitness center is pretty awesome. it's not just a small gym like other hotels, but a full fledge fitness center complete with instructor. great location as walking distance to amenities.

the bad part is about the elevators. guests need to insert key card to access floors but the card reader requires a few tries before it gets it right. quite troublesome. sometimes you missed your floor.

many reviewers complained about the wifi speed but it's pretty fast for me. maybe it's the floors or the management has actually done something about it.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

The hotel is in the top tier of quality for Malaysian hotels, a mall and supermarket is in the basement which is extremely convenient. Walking distance to most everything you'd need in Miri.

Biggest and only issue is the internet connection is extremely unreliable and quite frustrating at times.

Room Tip: Try to be closer to the elevator for stronger wifi signal.
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Stayed in the 2-bedroom/2-bathroom apartment unit for 3 nights. The unit is nicely decorated, no frills and unnecessary decorations (i.e. dust collectors). Overall it is a clean and comfortable stay.

The apartment has a kitchenette, complete with a stove, cooking utensils and fridge. Basic tea & coffee-making facilities are also available. 2 x 500mL drinking water is provided daily.

The TV has about 20 channels - all local networks and some international channels e.g. ESPN, HBO. The unit is fully air-conditioned.

Basic toiletries are provided. Towels are changed every day, and the beds are made every day. Being on the 23rd floor, we were treated to beautiful views of Miri.

Our only gripe would be the shower area where the water does not flow down, but pools at the opposite corner to the drain hole.It only clears up when the cleaners clean it up every morning. Perhaps it was only our unit that had this flaw and it cannot be generalised for the whole hotel.

There is a shopping mall at the ground floor of the building. The department store is especially great if you need to run down to quickly grab something. If you are inclined on bigger, more 'modern' malls, the Bintang Megamall shopping complex is a stone's throw away (a 5-minute walk, or a 3-minute run).

The apartment unit has a 'home away from home' feel, unlike the typical hotel room. Would recommend this to families or big groups.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank biancajill
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The greatest asset this hotel has is the fact that it is located right in the middle of Miri city with a shopping mall attached to it.

In terms of customers' service mindset, the management need to seriously look into implementing a work culture to SMILE more. The management must remember that the comfort of your guests staying at your hotel is your number ONE Priority and they deserve a service with a smile from your staff. This was clearly lacking when I checked into the hotel on 27 April 2012 where the reception staff servicing me has one of the most "unwelcoming" face I have ever encountered. To further add to this when I inquire whether there were WIFI available in the room, instead of answering me, he just pointed to a small notice near the counter that said "WIFI Available". I was shocked at the response I received and I wonder is that the normal work culture of this hotel or only just especially for me?

I will be making monthly trips to Miri and will give this hotel another try this month (May 2012) and if the lack of customer service attitude still persisted, I will give this hotel a pass after May and will seriously not recommend it.

Cheers