Did a 6 night stay with a Dive Pkg at the Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Resort.
Beautiful resort located over the water. Chalets are comfortable with private decks with windows and doors that open to allow the sea breeze to blow through. No air conditioners, TV’s, or hair dryers but these items are not needed.
Main Lodge for meals gets a bit crazy with meals served within a specific time and everyone hurrying to be the first and taking more than what they can eat so be early. Cuisine is mostly Asian due to the high amount of Asian travelers year round. Limited variety of food served and they could also work on having desserts and more fresh fruit..
Dive shop organized and we were tended well to our needs. Dive masters and crew were awesome. Keep track of your personal dive equipment. My compass was stolen from my console. Everyone is given their own bin but the room is open during the day to everyone. There is an intro dive upon arriving which is a great idea. This helps get all gear sized and weighted correctly. Also the staff is introduced and diving is explained for the week.
Dive sites frequently have a strong current so be prepared. Hard to see a Nudibranch when your swimming buy at a fast pace. Also seen diving are turtles, sharks, barracuda, Jack Fish and so much more.
Best dive sight is Sipadan Island which is limited to only 1 or 2 dives per person a week. Be wary of fishermen using dynamite to fish. Encountered 3 dives were dynamite was used.
Would I go again, no, but glad I did make the initial trip but very costly. Management needs to work on the flavor, variety of food served, and more control over the distribution of it. Dive sites need to be better chosen and scheduled fairly which will encourage repeat visitors. Be prepared to do lots of diving.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A few minutes by boat from the islands of Sipadan and Mabul but a full world away from it lays the exhilarating Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Resort, sitting on its sturdy stilts on the shallow sandbanks of Ligitan Reefs. Planned and built in full style as an airy, comfortable, sunny water village with no land in sight, it boasts a mile-long sandbank of powdery white sand where one can suntan at complete leisure while gazing out to the miles of brilliant turquoise stretching into the horizon offering the purest image of natural serenity. Dive spots Sipadan and Mabul can be reached in just a few minutes by speedboat. Sipadan-Kapalai is an ideal destination for diver and non-diver alike seeking a great holiday experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Hotel Pulau Sipadan
- Sipadan Kapalai Island Hotel
- Hotel Sipadan Kapalai Island