We have stayed at this hotel for five nights in the middle of August. I was a bit afraid of what we might find considering some of the reviews around here. However, I booked a Superior Chalet and I was not disappointed. Ok, the chalets are not new and sparkling however they are clean and have all the amenities needed (AC, TV, fridge, water heater, coffee & tea facilities, water bottles) and they reacted promptly if we had any issues or questions. We were also lucky to get a (what I call) sea-view chalet very close to the pool and restaurant so even better.
The pool is big enough and though it can get crowded in the early evening with kids it is swimmable during the midday. The restaurants offer plenty of choice though the food in the main restaurant is a tad blunt (the Thai/Indian restaurant open only during the evening is a lot better, but also a bit more expensive). A downside, considering it is a duty free island, the alcohol in the restaurant is very expensive. But you can fix this by buying your own booze from the duty free shop in the airport (~3RM can of beer) or one of the other duty free places on the island. The food in the restaurants is a bit expensive for Malaysia (25-30RM at the basic restaurant) but then again, it is quite expensive on the whole island (we’ve tried a few places also in town - even the one at the gate - but the food was not necessarily cheaper. However, water and beer yes. Btw, don’t buy water from Berjaya (10RM at the restaurant, 8.5RM at the shop), just go at the gate and buy it for 2.5RM for the big bottle!!
Sea life on Tioman is good enough. You can take day trips around (about 200RM for a 4WD/day) but you can snorkel of the beach on the right side of the pool as well. Or go to Renggis Island.
Overall, we liked our stay at Berjaya and would come back if we ever get the chance. Not sure if we would have liked it just as much if we stayed at one of the huts further away from the beach but the location we had was perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tioman is an island befitting the stars. Whether you seek relaxation or adrenaline, we’ve got you covered. With miles of secluded palm-fringed beaches, clear turquoise waters, abundant marine life, misty mountains and lush greenery, savour each moment as you indulge in one of the world’s most beautiful islands where ‘Bali Hai’ was filmed in the Hollywood classic ‘South Pacific’, in addition to the recent Hong Kong TV Series ‘The Ultimate Goal’. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Ctrip TA so you can book your Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Tioman
- Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort
- Berjaya Tioman Beach Hotel
- Tioman Hotel