“Experience La Dolce Far Niente in Tranquil Tioman”

Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We needed a couples break someplace close to Singapore for a few days and Tioman was an easy choice.
Our hotels were narrowed down to Japamala, Baggus and Berjaya. Japamala was a bit too expensive, Baggus was booked so Berjaya it was.
We flew down from Changi - pleasant flight. Reached the hotel (the pickup was fast) and checked in. Our package was the 'Sweet Honeymoon' one so that included a few things like breakfast, one dinner and some activities.

Our room was (initially) a Superior. One thing that was strange was they gave us a twin bed instead of a double. This is odd considering it is a 'honeymoon package'. The girl at reception said they were full for the first night but we could 'try' and change the room tomorrow or get a double bed in. We tried joining the beds but they would not align as they had mattresses of different thicknesses. Nevertheless, after reading the horror stories of bad rooms, all in all the superior room was not bad. Simple but clean. The bathroom was a bit grotty (old) but clean.

The next day they arranged a viewing of a Delux chalet which was right near the beach and we decided to upgrade immediately. Its 100Rmb more per night. But the room was a major difference from the superior one. Bigger, cleaner, more modern and the bed was very comfortable. You also get a tub here (never used it though) instead of a shower.
The only gripe we had was when moving rooms. We packed our bags and left them in the room -walked to the main lobby (its a bit of a walk) and waited as we were told a buggy/drop will be arranged to move our things from the old room to the new. We waited and waited - buggies came and filled up and left but we could not get on. Finally when we went and asked the guy at the drop counter if it would ever be our turn he was a bit brisk and said to "wait longer". When reminded that we had been waitig for over 30 minutes - he said "but you only just told me". That he got so defensive was unnecessary. We gave them both our keys and asked them to move the bags themselves. We would not wait any longer. Fortunately they agreed.

The restaurant (Sri Nelayan) had some amazing food, however one lunch was not a great experience as the staff forgot about our order or misunderstood it - we were not served food for over an hour! we almost walked out. This was at 3.30 and we were back from a morning of snorkelling and starving. There were only four other tables being served and yet when we asked why the food was late - we were told its "a busy time". Not acceptable. But apart from that the restaurant staff though seeming a wee bit inexperienced were friendly and hospitable.

The beach is fantastic! The snorkeling amazing. We never used the pool - didn't have to with such an amazing ocean right outside. Besides it was usually full of happy noisy kids so we chose to stay away.

The restaurants right outside the gate are nice but try and go there early for dinner - once we went to Delima at around 8.30pm and got our food served at 10.30! they have a huge crowd after 8.

The spa experience (included in our package) was nice.
The resort should also reserve a separate section of the beach for smokers. Not only is it disgusting to have smoke blowing in your face when you lounge on the beach (how many times can you change your seat to avoid that? ) but it's the one pollutant you keep finding on an otherwise pristine beach....cigarette stubs all over the sand.

And the staff really should pay attention to the package details when they offer it. We were told we'll have a fruit basket in our room on arrival - never came, in either room. We didn't bother to ask because we thought it was trivial but since it was part of our package as stated by them - they should've honoured it.

Also we were given a dinner voucher for a steamboat/Seafood BBQ dinner to be used during our stay. The reception girl marked out dates on each meal voucher - marking this one as our last night. When we turned up for dinner, they said there is no BBQ dinner and it was scheduled for the next night. Of course we were leaving the next morning so we would not be able to use that. Again, it should've been mentioned if BBQ dinners do not happen daily - thats fine - we could've gone a day earlier or whenever - but to neglect telling us that it will not be available after you yourself mark the dates is simply poor management.

Overall - the stay was pleasant. we will probably go back. Just hope someone from management reads this and makes the few necessary changes in what was a very nice experience.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are NOT as bad as described - however insist on one which has been recently refur...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gussanu

Reviewed 6 June 2012

The resort is far from new and not all the villas are in perfect shape, but they are in a process of refurbishing little by little. So try to get the better ones – we liked very much our "superior chalet", right next to the beach.
The location is excellent, the resort's ground is beautifully managed, the people are friendly. You have a long beach at your disposal, two very nice pools and more than decent food, if you choose half board or all inclusive. Of course, a la carte is better and you have what to choose from.
You can also look for fresh seafood outside the hotel compound, in small places along the road. The food is tasty, but keep in mind that many of them look very shabby and some are a little dirty.
Boat trips, car trips and other activities are easy to book within the hotel. They even have a golf course and remarkable surroundings.

Tioman island is wonderful if you plan to relax, eat, swim, snorkel and dive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrei C
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Just came back from my "Sweet Honeymoon" trip from Berjaya Tioman (2-4June12). What a disappointment!

Upon reaching the resort, check-in was not much a hassle. I was then told by a bellboy to wait for transport to take me to my room. After waiting for 10min, no transport is seen and that bellboy left me waiting and he himself walk another guests to their room. Leaving with no choice, I ask another bellboy on the transport I could take and I was told to wait further. I was tired after travelling for 6 hours to reach the resort. I told the bellboy that I had waited for more than 10 mins and he then ask me to board a transport which could drop me on the way.

Finally, I reached the standard room. This is where I was greeted by the great disappointed after a long journey here. As highlighted by many reviews, the room is indeed badly worn out. I'm wondering how would a 4* room look like this. The washroom looks really old. Worst still the spring mattress feel like it was used for more than 15 years. Wanted to take a rest but not able to turn on the aircond. Call the reception but no one came after 20mins. Called again and I was told they will check with maintenance dept again. So the wait continues. After 70mins, I call the reception again. They try to tell me the same but this time I request to talk to the manager. After talking to the manager, Mariah, the maintenance guy came in 5 mins. Imagine after travelling for 6 hours to reach the resort and stuck in the room with no air cond for more than 1 hours without able to get proper rest.

Nevertheless, the buffet breakfast and BBQ dinner were not bad. Not superior in quality but with great variety. The BBQ dinner is included in package for a night. But it is not worth to pay for RM70/person for the dinner. A good option is to have your dinner at the Malay stall right outside of the resorts. A plate of chicken,
Vege and a fish cost RM35 for 2 person. Lunch will cost you around RM6 per person.

I decided not to go for the discover scuba and switch to snorkelling instead. I was charged RM5/person for the switch. The life jacket and snorkel equipment are in good condition. Swimming pool facilities is good but the water seems not clear. No good vision when you are in the water. The Ayura Massage is good and relaxing.

On the last night, I had a big action in my room. Was ordered by my wife to get rid of a big cockroach in the room. The room was back to its calm after 10 mins. Though you still can hear sound from the room beside and upstairs.

I would not be back to this resorts again. And I would not be considering Berjaya Redang which is in my plan after visiting Berjaya Tioman. I think the resorts really need a re-rating.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Eric-YP
MichaelTan, General Manager at Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

We have taken note of your comments over the lack of attention from the Front Office and Engineering staff. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Your stay happened to be the peak of our occupancy (being a Public and school holiday), also our busiest time of the year reflected in the greater number of check in and check out. This has delayed sending of guest to the rooms.

Rest assure that your comment have been taken very seriously and highlighted to respective Department Heads for immediate action and follow up.

Once again my most sincere apologies. We hope you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves when we can welcome you back with an assurance we will serve you better.

Tan Seng Chye

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We were at this resort from 28 to 31 May 2012 (4D/3N). We stayed at Deluxe Chalet and it was a beautiful, spacious, clean and comfortable chalet. The hotel service was superb.- from check in to check out. The sea water was crystal clear. We had a good swim in the sea and the most we enjoyed was snorkeling, In short, we had a whale of a time there.

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room as it is beachfront. You can really admire the beauty especially the sunset.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ahari2007
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I recently spent 7 nights at the Berjaya resort in a standard chalet, the room was spacious, clean and tidy, the bed was very comfortable, and the Air con in the room was a great relief to the heat in tioman! The bathroom was nice enough with solar powered heating. The resort itself has a few pool`s to choose from and a number of restaurants, the buffet dinner/lunch is certainly worth the 70 ringgits at least once not so good for the waistline though!
The main reason for my visit to tioman was for the diving, I had originally researched another dive company to dive with however on arriving at the resort I found out that they had their own 5 * Padi dive centre so I gave them ago. They were excellent and catered for everything. A big Thanks to tom & zack. The diving itself was very good I just hope the visibility is better next time!
It’s worth doing and excursion for the day be it snorkelling or darting round the island as there is not much to do in the resort itself apart from relax and eat, there is a Filipino band that play in the evening, they are worth a listen for sure, you may even find yourself getting up for a dance!

I would certainly recommend the Berjaya as a great stay especially for diving and relaxation

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach front for a view of the Sea.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo