“Bed Bugs!!!”

Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Just came back about a week ago, there were 9 of us, my room-mate got horrible marks from bed bugs the first night when she slept in the room, we requested to change the mattress and bedding stuff the next day. The rest of the girls all got bitten by bed bugs in the TV room where the cushions on the sofa were full of bed-bugs. None of us could wear skirts for the next couple of months, all thanks to the horrible marks on our legs. Still cannot imagine that we could get bitten by bed bugs in this kind of resort.

Other than the bed bugs, we enjoyed our stay in the resort. The snorkeling was amazing!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank vvworld
MichaelTan, Manager at Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying with us at the Berjaya Tioman Resort. We value your valuable feedback as it allows us to improve for the benefit of our future guests.
Our deepest and most sincere apologies for experience. We have since appointed the services of a well known International Pest Control. We are following up and monitoring closely.
We are pleased that you did enjoy other aspects of your stay especially snorkeling. Next time you plan to visit Tioman, please do let me know and will ensure you have a more pleasant memories.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Thank you for this opportunity to voice my latest holiday woes with your Travel Enthuasist's.

My Family and I stayed September 23th for four nights at The Bejaya Resort Tioman Island. We have stayed previously and encountered similar problems as other guest's with leaking toilets, bathroom in desperate need of repair and A/C not working to full extent..in which case you have got to wonder if the Maintence Dept are aware of all chalets repair's or management 'Just dont Care' . Our room this stay, was excellent with interconnecting (for my teenagers). Apart from the Bathrooms desperatly needing a makeover we went for two days without knowing about a switch that turns on the hot water heater. The weather was hot so cold was OK!. Our Kids managed to get food poisioning at the same time -from where we are not 100% sure. I have to give praise to the the main Chef who we spoke to while overseeing his Buffet - we mentioned that our daughter is Chronic Ceoliac he appeared to understand all the implications with this and offered to cook a delightful breakfast.. as well as offered any further assistance for the lenght of out stay. The staff generally were friendly, but the lack of English and what appears to be Hospitality Training, is a major negative for this resort.
Allowing Smoking in restaurants....Yes it appears the Europens havnt heard 'it's just not acceptable' from the rest of the world.
You have one magical location, one 3 star hotel in need of repair, and such potential begging for marketing and sales!
There is a pool swim up bar. My husband and I went to sit on the 'dry side' for a eveing cocktail. Without sounding snobish, we had to ask the two staff members who were smoking & lounging around, if we could use the 'only two' bar chairs, to sit and watch the sunset with a cocktail. The Music was Doof Doof and played repeatly. The staff had No Idea about service more about playing on their phones and 'smoking'. There were no staff taking orders/delivering drinks poolside, let alone offering nibbles with cocktails. We dont expect 'Rafflles' but surely when your classified as 4-5 star resort these are the things that make sitting beside a pool with coctails, rememerable!

The Sandflys are at epademic levels. It is day 14 since being bitten and still suffering. I have scars on my feet from over40 bites per foot. My head , back, arms and legs front and back are so severly bitten I have had to take some days off work upon return. The Staff (management) are well aware of this and I feel they should at least warn you about certain times of day to stay off the beach. But again it gets back to their simple lack of care attitude and lack of english/hospitality training.
The Island is a Divers and Snorklers Paradise. I have raved about it to all of my friends, but feel now that we wont be recommending nor returning.
I would invite Mr Tan to come off his Yacht and vist his Resort. Walk around the pool and get a feel for his clientelle.

Room Tip: Bring your own Mattress and Pillows!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kathleen Q

Dear Guest,

I am deeply sadden and sincerely regret to read your feedback. There is no excuse and I would like you to accept my most sincere apologies for the poor service rendered to your goodself and family members. Rests assure that your comments have been taken very seriously and highlighted to respective heads for immediate action and follow up.

We received a few complaints about sand flies in September and we have scheduled treatment to prevent the sand flies for breeding. We are monitoring the situation and results have been positive so far.

We are so sorry to know that you will not be returning to us but if you ever change your mind and give us benefit of doubt then please do let us know and we will be happy to welcome you back

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Located just a short drive away from the Tekek ferry terminal, the Berjaya Tioman Resort sits on well-maintained grounds and has its own scenic stretch of private beach. We stayed in a Superior chalet – slightly dim, the fittings and furnishings are old but fit in with the rustic atmosphere and are well maintained.

Service was excellent. The staff are consistently helpful and friendly, and it’s easy to chat with them. Free wifi only in the lobby and restaurants, but that’s good enough for a seaside getaway. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Some sea view (Deluxe) chalets will get the evening sun. The Superior chalets have a garden view but...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

having just returned from the Berjaya Resort I must say it was one of the most relaxing holidays I have ever had. All the staff from the gardener to the managers were most helpful and friendly.
The restaurant staff were also most attentive and looked after us very well.
The snorkelling was amazing , what beautiful fish!.
For anyone looking for a peaceful holiday in beautiful surroundings, this is THE place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank maryPANGBOURNE
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed here 2 nights superior twin chalet and they managed to get booking wrong as we got to the room we found a queen bed but they managed to sort that out in 10 mins and gave us another room. Rooms are very tired looking. Stained couches, ants in bathroom and toilet seat (check them before you use them as they are big!), TV the size of a computer monitor. Sheets was very thick and warm though but in the tropics? We tried booking a snorkeling tour for the next day from the Activities Desk but the person selling the tour had zero interest at all and gave us one worded answer to my queries. He probably would have been more excited in watching paint dry. Also ended up the trip with multiple red itchy lumps on my skin - bed bugs or sand flies? We never ended up going to the snorkeling as the morning session was cancelled and we were down with food poisoning from the beachside restaurant outside the resort (dont eat seafood there as I dont think they are fresh and it killed the rest of our holidays). Overall - for what we paid, I dont think the hotel is up to standard.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank DanPerth
MichaelTan, Manager at Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback on your experience at the Berjaya Tioman Resort.
Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the poor service rendered to your goodself.
Rest assure that your comments have been taken very seriously and highlighted to the Rooms Division Manager and the Sports & Recreation Manager for their immediate action and follow up.
We empathize to hear that you did not manage to go for the morning snorkeling trip.