“a nice hotel for children with friendly staff”

The Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed 23 July 2009

The hotel was a little old and in need of some refurb but otherwise clean and adequate. We booked two adjoining rooms which were billed as a "family suite" so our daughters were next door to us and our baby was in our room. We had a gorgeous view of the beach from our rooms - the beach was great, the children absolutely loved it. It was pretty clean as PD beaches go.

The standard of service was a bit erratic but the staff were really sweet and kind, and helped make up for any deficiencies with amenities and food. I'd say the food was pretty average but it didn't matter as there are so many restaurants around. We ate out, mostly.

The hotel had a nice pool for guests with a little mini pool for children fronts the hotel - with views of the beach. Also billed were kids play area for children, a pool bar, a lounge bar and a pool playing area. These did not seem to be in much use as people preferred the swimming pool or the beach.

Just a stroll along the beach was the Api Api cafe/restaurant right on the beach itself offering multi cuisine - something for everyone. I thought the food quite pricey but good. Fish is definitely the food to have, gorgeous and really fresh. Do go for whole fish - really lovely.

All in all, I'd say a nice hotel to stay in with children and quite friendly staff, a bit pricey for what is offered; and as previously mentioned, the standard of service is a little under par sometimes. But because we were only using the hotel as a base, we didn't really mind.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank MariaHH

Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed here with my family just this weekend (June 20, 2009). We reserved a studio suite room that can fit 4 adults.

Pros
- The beach is nice.
- Food is good and value for money.

Cons
- Poor service - it will take a long time for housekeeping to provide you what you ask for e.g. towels
- Rude staff - girl at the reception (her name is Qhusna) was rude. She frowns at every question you ask and almost shouts at me when answering. The staff at the swimming pool were also rude. They ran out of beach towels and said it will take an hour before they get some. My wife asked "what are we going to use for the meantime?" and the staff just shrugged his shoulders and turned his around.
- Ill-mannered guests - Since this hotel is cheap, it attracts some people with not-so-good manners. There was a guest who dumped a dirty diaper in front of our room. A young boy sneezed (without covering his mouth) at the buffet table without being scolded by his mother (who was just beside him when he sneezed).

I say typical Malaysian-managed hotel because hotels like this, the staff do not ensure the satisfaction of the customers. I think this is common in all locally-managed establishments.

If you don't mind being sneered at by the staff and have limited budget, you may try this place. Btw, if you are white, you might get a better service. I saw the staff cheerfully serving a big group of guests from Spain, a behavior I did not see when we nor the other non-white guests were served .

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I am a frequent visitor at the hotel due to its strategic location and here are my comments:-
-check in & check out was a breeze.
-room is clean but the bathroom is old and due for a makeover!
- pool area is clean but the shower station was clogged up (with sand?)
- overall staffs are friendly and helpful
- the breakfast buffet is nothing special, it'll be nice if they can add more varities to the menu.
- the beach area is clean & great for the kids. The nearby open-air cafe are also great for tea time snacks! Check out the scenery at the beach at night! i love the way they adorn the big tree with lights!
- restaurants are all around the area..5 mins by car
(Satay Kajang Samuri and Night Market (every Sat.) near the Petronas Station)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ihazelynz
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I think I over-paid for a deluxe sea facing room No 397 (including extra bed and breakfast for a third person). The rooms look tired and the extra bed is very uncomfortable!

The resort is small but popular with the locals for seminar. It was running full occupancy and I made a mistake of not checking my room location before agreeing to take the last deluxe room. I would have think the rooms facing the swimming pool would be much better. The TV antenna also will trip and our remote control was not working. They did try to rectify the matter asap.

Room only had a small window overlooking the sea and the balcony faces trees and a view of the locals parking their cars when they want to go to the beach! I also misheard the price quoted thinking it was lower and was shocked to see the actual price when I checked out.

Breakfast was also very salty and I didn't manage to eat much beacuse of the taste!

Should have stayed at the Regency next door or the Avillion Cove which is having an offer till end 31 March 09. Studio King Suite at Avillion is abt RM$100 cheaper than what I paid at Hotel Selesa....The rooms are so much better and cleaner though no bathtub.

Plus point : Efficient service & Good beach location!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mum2004
Reviewed 20 March 2009

The hotel has probably the best location of the Port Dickson Hotel because of the beach and easy accesses from the highway. I was traveling with the whole family incl. young children. The hotel offers a kids club and a kids pool. Which is great for the little ones. The beach is equally nice to play from them. There is watersports for the parents and kids available. All in all it is reasonable when it comes to value for money

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family