Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,044 results
All reviews watering hole tsavo west water hole mzima springs chyulu hills dining area lava flow amazing views safari lodge watching the animals game drives animals visiting ceiling fan the food is great buffet style stayed longer every meal
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 November 2022

This was my sixth time to east Africa and I’ve stayed at several different Serena properties in Kenya and Tanzania. This property was disappointing and is not up to Serena’s normally high standards.

The rooms are small, cramped and oddly configured. The bedding and linens felt more like a prison cot. I was shocked at how worn and dated everything was inside the rooms. Serena really needs to spend some money refurbishing the interiors because this was not up to snuff or up to Serena’s usually high standards. Likewise, the bathroom is tiny. Water pressure inside the shower was terrible and was like trying to shower in a water fountain. For whatever reason it was impossible to regulate the water temperature – without changing anything it would vary from scalding hot to cold.

The common areas were better. The restaurant and bar overlook a watering hole and throughout the day and night animals will come to drink. The staff were nice and kind as they are at all Serena properties.

The restaurant is buffet style and the food was OK. Certainly nothing special and not as good as any other Serena property but it was acceptable. We did two bush breakfasts and those too, were acceptable but nothing special.

Overall, not somewhere I would recommend and not a place I plan to return to. Serena should do better.

Reviewed 5 November 2022

I added the Tsavo visit after a 2-week safari elsewhere and was beyond glad I did. From check-in to check-out this 2-day stay was terrific. Dorothy greeted me with a drink and friendly, professional check-in. Faith, Geoffrey, Dorthy and Ibrahim helped me resolve what I thought was a serious problem with my luggage (totally my fault) the same day. Lillian and Fabian were superb restaurant staff, where the food offerings were varied, plentiful and delicious, as well as offering a stupendous view of many animals at the watering hole, as well as Kilimanjaro. Tsavo NP seems less visited than other parks I visited in Kenya altho I was told visitors were less as a result of Covid. Again, lodge staff was great. Go to Kenya, visit Tsavo, stay at Kilaguni Lodge!

Room tip: I think all rooms have a view of the watering hole, which you can watch (and take phots of) from your balcony.
Reviewed 17 October 2022

Super nice view! The hotel is just great. From your room balcony, you can see a water hole or swamp, where animals gather to drink and wash. A super experience! The food is great. The stuff is very friendly!

Reviewed 8 October 2022 via mobile

So this was an unexpected and exciting stay. So accommodation was lovely, clean and tidy. Out the back we had a balcony with a view on to the watering hole, saw painted dogs "rare", elephants, zebra etc and good unobstructed view. Restaurant was very good and and food nice but limited. We went with Newmarket package and the annoying thing is it was all inclusive except on safari? Strange? Staff as usual were friendly, polite and accomodating. But once again tip city, I do wish those who organised these holidays would pass the bonus and fees on to the poor staff. My other half had a birthday and they made it a special occasion. So all in all, accommodation great, animals great and the lodge was brilliant except and this is a little thing small choice on food. Thanks

Trip type: Travelled with family
Henrietta Mwangola, General Manager at Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2022

We appreciate you taking time to give us your most valuable feedback and delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to hosting you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2022

I've been visiting Kilaguni since 1974. Never disappoints. The game viewing is superb, elephant and buffalo passing by the waterhole all the time. And the staff are genuinely helpful and friendly, they make you feel unreservedly welcome. Food excellent, too. I still think it's the best game lodge in Africa.

Room tip: I think all the rooms overlook the waterhole. You can watch elephants from your bed.
Date of stay: August 2022
1  Thank SteveSpawls

Thank you Steve for your patronage over the years. Indeed we pride ourselves with providing the best in product and service. We will continue to be of service to you at all times. Looking forward to hosting you again in the near future.