All reviews mr berend his wife fish organic vegetables vegetable garden the owner lake toba tuk tuk family boat memorable stay well equipped kitchen group of friends big family excellent stay stayed for nights direct access to the lake beautiful garden
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Service great, owners and staff brilliant.

Nothing seems to be a hassle for them. I can't really fault the lovely chilled feel staying here. To be honest it may be the main reason I come back to Lake Toba.

I think it was more the little things that were pleasing. Free use of their transport, kayak, fishing gear, etc. The team were well knowledgeable around the area and were open to chat.

Highly kid friendly and safe - there's only 4 rooms so you really get a personal touch with the team.

Food was good but there's a heap of good restaurants around the are which are very affordable.

Bottom line is it's a great family friendly place to stay so well worth a chilled and relaxed visit.

My only complaint was that the fish were not biting ;-).

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Stayed here for 2 nights. What a great place.
Our friends and family loved this place so much. This place will make you feel at home with all the gardens and beautiful lake on the backyard.
Will come back again to stay here for sure.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Kelvin K
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I had a wonderful 3-night stay at Horas Family Home. I normally stay in hostels but for this island, I specifically wanted direct access to the lake and slow down. I was lucky to be able to try both Horas Indra and Horas Mini. It is complete with absolutely everything you need - from the toiletries to a blender. The room was very big but it worked out for what I wanted. That being said, I highly recommend it for families, group of friends and solo backpacker who needs to take a break. There are rabbits that you can feed so kids will definitely enjoy that. There's a wide variety of orchids that are really nice to look at closely on a morning walk. I woke up 6am every morning to have a peaceful view of the lake. I even had breakfast in front of it on my last day. The greens from the organic farm are also free. I picked out lettuce to eat with my fish. Fishing is also free. You catch, kill and cook it on your own for free. I wanted to do that but wasn't able to do so due to time constraints. I did use the kayak, again for free. So, it could be more pricey than neighbors but so much comes with it. What it offers is really exclusivity and quality service. Someone picked me up at Parapat and dropped me off when I left. The couple, Berend and Mian are really lovely and kind human beings. Fully satisfied. I'd come back in the future with my family.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at Horas Family Home. Berend, his wife and all their extremely kind staff did their outmost best to make our stay a very pleasant one. From arranging a becak with (our favourite) Herman to the restaurant and the various sites, to an accompanied transport from TukTuk across the water from Parapat to our next hotel in Berastagi, visiting various sites in between. The famous bbq was a memorable event with delicious food. And our kids loved the rabbits and fishing pond. Highly recommended!

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

I have been stayed at Horas Family Cottage at Tuk Tuk, Samosir Island twice. I'd really love to come back there again.The services, the scenery of its location so beautiful, staffs are so friendly. And totally i will give my two thumbs up. This Horas Family cottage at Tuk Tuk, a part of Samosir island in Lake Toba, the greatest volcanic lake in the world and be the geopark caldera lake, can reached by taking boat by person or ferry by car from Ajibata peer at Parapat or Tiga Ras peer. Parapat is located about 3 hours trip from Medan city, North Sumatera. The trip by boat or ferry take about 0,5 - 1 hour.

Date of stay: June 2017