See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 April 2015

The hotel was ok, A/C worked, room ok , clean and a reasonable price.The pool was looking good but it was late so we didn't use it.
We had a good breakfast in the restaurant opposite and played 2 gamed of snooker.

The staff were ok, it was all a bit OK?

Room Tip: It can be noisy, check
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I only chose this place as a backup because it had a pool.
The hotel we wanted to stay, Baan Georges, I could not locate in the small back soi’s.
Well I could locate it I just couldn’t navigate the 12 seater mini bus I was driving through the small lanes.
Anyway back to the Orchid, on arrival first thing I checked was the pool. The pool was important to us because we were travelling with kids and they needed to cool off.
The pool water was a dark green colour so totally unusable. That should have been enough warning for us but we pressed on.
The staff were pleasant enough. The carpet on the stairs and hallways was worn and filthy. The room we took was large enough, furniture old and worn, typical Thai style old hotel (no maintenance!). I can accept that as long as it is clean.
We took 2 rooms and paid cash and were just settling in when my wife tried turning on the bath. The water was black! It was virtually mud pouring out of the taps!
This occurred in both of the rooms. Reception’s response was just to leave the taps running until it cleared. 10 minutes later the water was still filthy.
The house keeping ladies told us that nobody had stayed in these rooms for a long time, I think we were the only people on the whole floor, it was starting to get spooky!
We’d had enough. I thought we had done our money as we paid cash but after a few phone calls the reception staff gave us a full refund.
The worst hotel experience since staying in 100 baht a night flop houses.
Ended up staying at Ruean Thai which was a world apart but still inexpensive.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank mcam_au
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We arrived in Sukhothai at night and didn't want to spend much time to look around for a hotel. Upon arrival, staff was reasonably friendly, we took a look at the room and as it looked acceptable at first, we decided to stay.
However, it turned out that later at night the pub on the ground floor would play extremely loud live music, the drums hammering away to be clearly felt even on the 3rd floor at the end of the corridor where our room was located! The air-condition was equally noisy, fan rattling and no way to adjust either temperature or fan speed.
The bathroom was acceptably clean, but the ceiling was covered with mold already.
When the pub finally closed early morning, the leaving guests made a lot of noise waking us up again. We skipped the breakfast included in the room price.
I cannot recommend this place to anyone, not even solo travelers - except if you plan to stay in the hotel pub until closing time...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Ingo D
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Stayed in Sukothai one night (with my Thai fiancee) on our way from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Room was reasonably priced for the season and was fairly clean. We checked in at about 6:00 and noticed what seemed like a party going on down the hall. I paid no attention to it and figured the hotel would deal with the noise at a reasonable time. Went out for some street food and returned to take a shower and go to bed. The power went out twice while we were taking a shower - fortunately, I travel with a flashlight but it was frightening for my fiancee. We tried to sleep but the noise from down the hall was overwhelming. I waited until 11:00 to call the front desk and they told me the noise would continue until 1:00am! At 1:00am I called again to complain and the band played for another 20 minutes and then shut down. During this time I tried to turn on the AC to drown out the sound but the AC didn't work! The next morning they decided to do some work on another unit so I was awakened at 7:30 to the sound of a hammer pounding away. At 9:00am I received a wake-up call that I didn't ask for. All in all, it was the worst hotel experience I've ever had and I travel frequently.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank NiceChang
Reviewed 12 August 2008

The hotel is fine: the bathroom was a bit small and the shower was very close to the loo (no curtain/shower screen!) but for the price this is OK: you get what you pay for. It's clean and comfortable, and staff are clearly helpful, though they don't speak much English. Breakfast was a nice bonus - choice of ham and eggs or toast and jam, plus tea. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple