See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 March 2016

Having already looked at other places on the island, we finally booked in at Varin, choosing their cheapest option of a wooden fan cottage. Still cost a whopping 1500Baht per night! At least we had aa hot water shower and tv for the money. The adverised free safety deposit box doesn't exist, so reception staff "advise" you not to have your room serviced, so your valuables can be safely left in your room, secure in the fact no one will enter.....hmmm. The room was actually quite comfy and if it wasn't for the cockerals crowing very early....and very near. ...I reckon you'd get a good nights sleep. Breakfast was edible, on the first morning we were beaten to all the best stuff by the very early risers.With the exception of the lady cooking eggs, I don't think anything else is restocked. We weren't caught out on day 2. We had to be early as check out is by 10am with swinging penalties if you don't obey and enforceable because they keep you passport until they have checked your room.
Would we stay again? Koh Lipe is a comparatively expensive destination, with restaurant prices shooting up. The island businesses need to consider very carefully whether they are offering anywhere near good value.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rawtalent
Reviewed 9 March 2016

Paid 600B in late November for a bungalow on Sunrise beach. The location was really bad (my fault) I chose a bungalow right next to the main path so people were walking right past my bungalow all night.

Anyway apart from that you get a warm shower, comfortable bed, nice canopy to relax on and the price is good for the location because its on Sunrise beach and directly at the end of the walking street.

The old guy running the reception is a bit of a character and seems to run the place like an army camp. But anyway what can you expect for 600B on Lipe!

Recommend for the budget backpacker wanting a slice of Lipe.

Also, they do long term stay and give a discount if you pay for a month. I think a few people working in the dive shops were doing this.

Room Tip: Avoid a bungalow near the main paths leading through the report!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Nick G
Reviewed 9 February 2016

We arrived to Ko Lipe without a booking. Instead of looking for a nice place we just opted for the first we saw on the beach. This was a mistake. It was not overly expensive, but you are packed away from the beach in a bugalow of various age, withouth style. There are better places on the Island.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank C125OWdanielk
Reviewed 2 February 2016 via mobile

The room I was given had a sliding window. As I was attempting to close the window, it derailed, fell out and shattered. I was not particularly forceful when closing it, yet it still happened. The hotel management asked me to pay for the damages. I tried to reason with them, explaining that I did not handle the window improperly, but to no avail. So, reluctantly, I paid for the damages.

I suspect that since the resort is somewhat in a mid to low range category, it was built as cheaply as possible, resulting in shoddy workmanship and/or materials of subpar quality.

When I recounted this incident to others, some said that it was probably some scam. I don't know if that is true, but my experience with this hotel should serve as a cautionary tale nonetheless.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank 516rezag
Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

My family and friends went there during 19-21 Dec. Staff are not friendly at all especially in the restaurant which normally I've never see in others places with local people.
Room just acceptable. Location is great but with service I received with my family and friends, I won't stay there in next visit.
We loved the island as well as our guide who is really friendly and helpful.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family