“Quite the opposite!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 165 Pai B&B and Inns
Daegu
“Quite the opposite!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

I found the on-line reviews of this hostel to be very mis-leading. The staff were very dis-organized, presumptive and at times intrusive. The staff constantly tried to manufacture 'hook-ups' between the guests to ensure 'happiness' and 'continued interest in staying'. The lodgings were in my opinion, sub-par. Old and dingy bed sheets, a poorly functioning plumbing system, a toddler sized toilet and a proliferation of bugs. The entry way was over-grown with vegetation to the point I needed to duck every time I passed through. Although my friend and I booked for 2 nights, we only stayed for 1 because we were that appalled with the sleeping / living conditions. I might have had a total of 2 hours sleep that first night but it was anything but restful. I even awoke with puffy eyes. I tried my best to cover every inch of my body to guard against the prolific bugs and possible other creatures lurking under the covers (It was too cold to go without). I even used my towel as a pillow buffer since the case and sheets didn't look like they'd been washed recently and were stained in various places. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a 5-Star resort and I have stayed in my share of low-budget places over my 20 years of traveling, but this was not up to hygiene and basic living standards. I guess if I'd drunken myself into a stupor before going to bed, it would have been more bearable. The worst thing was that the staff were more interested in trying to couple my friend and I with some of the male guests staying at their Hostel, that they didn't even notice our discomfort / dis-contentedness. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and I am sorry that I had to spend one of my night of my vacation enduring that place. Since we also paid for 2 nights but only stayed for 1, it was definitely not worth the $$ we paid even for the first night of accommodations! Unfortunately, I wanted to leave and forget my terrible experience so much that I forgot to video or photo log it for future travelers.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank prisspiggy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We booked and went to this hostel based on the superb reviews but it turned put to be far from what we expected. We knew that we would be staying in bungalows and it would be a little rustic. It was actually quite unpleasant with old bedding that was questionable -- we weren't sure if they had just been washed. The bathroom was old style with a toilet that required a cup of water poured into the bowl to flush. The bathroom was covered with insects and there was no soap left to wash our hands after using the toilet. We didn't use the shower because we were so disappointed with the condition of the room that we left after one night. The owners were very willing to help us and were very welcoming but they wanted us to stay on site and chat with the other boarders. This is a great place to meet people (and hook up as the owner continuously told us that there were many handsome men staying there as well) but we were more interested in exploring the small town and outskirts.

This is a great place for the younger or hippie-type crowd that doesn't mind these accommodations. If you prefer a higher standard or a different kind of social environment, this is not the place to stay.

For what we were looking for, this rating and prior reviews were very misleading. I hope this review will help put more this place into better perspective in regards to ratings and reviews.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mouse612

Travellers are raving about these Pai hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

'Darling' and Peter are great people who run a lovely homestay in Pai that is only minutes from the main street but very quiet and peaceful. It is on a hill so you have a great view of Pai and the surrounding mountains, and you have easy access to the walking trail through forest to a waterfall.

They were so friendly and generous with their time and local knowledge that I extended my stay. I thoroughly recommend anyone stay here when they visit Pai.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

This place is a fantastic place to stay if you're stopping over in Pai. Peter and Darling the owners are fantastic and will ensure that everything is right for you as well as giving you sound advice on the surrounding area.

The bungalows are set about a 10 minute walk out of town and up on the hillside, but I think this makes it all the more charming with great views over the valley. The bamboo bridge crossing the river was back when I was there to make the walk slightly quicker. Peter will also pick you up from the bus station if you travel in that way.

I stayed in one of the more expensive en-suite rooms, but it was still very cheap and I had my own balcony / terrace with hammocks looking over the area with the mountains in the background - idyllic.

The fire area in the evening was great to sit around and chill while having a few drinks and chatting with the other travellers and Peter and Darling. They are also in the process of building a pool and spa area which will only add further to the draw of this place.

I would definitely stay here again but If I were to criticise anything, I would like to see food and drinks being more readily available, but that's nothing major.

In all, a great place if you're on a budget or not, in a truly fantastic part of the world.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank leemwarren
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

Forget the cheap price, this place is something else. Peter and Darling are such wonderful people- they built this place from scratch. I came here on recomendation, to recover from an illness, and they have cooked for my own nutritional needs. They are so lovely, and helpful and kind.

And the place is so unbelievably charming. It has to be the best place I have ever stayed in. There is bonfire area at the back now, and the most stunning views. Even the furniture has it's charm- hammocks, original wooden furniture. You get your own bungalow with 2 double beds in, and your own hammocks outside (aswell as being able to hang out inthe main- big bungalow/bar area) for just 7 USD.

I couldn't ask for a more. Don't want to leave.

Amazing!