New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Darling View Point Bungalows

Darling View Point Bungalows
Ranked #47 of 165 Pai B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Rustic charm at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed at Darling View in January 2011 with my boyfriend, and we absolutely loved it. Yes it’s rustic but this adds to the charm and character of the place. You may well be joined by the odd bug or too as people have previously reported, but your resident gecko will sort that out, so no troubles there.

Peter and Darling were absolutely delightful. We had hired a car and were about to set off to travel some of the beautiful Mae Hong Son Loop but we had, due to being overcome by the contagious Pai chill out vibe, not sorted out getting a map from anywhere. Peter, on hearing this, got straight on his computer and printed off a huge map of the whole loop, even laminating it for us, and proceeded to give us some great advice on where to stop off. He was right, Ban Rak Thai, is a beautifully serene and stunning place to visit.

This was typical of our host’s willingness to do whatever they can to ensure their guests have the best time possible.

There are some reviews where people have mentioned that there was no food available but there always was when we were there. Yes it can take a while to be delivered, but you don’t go to Pai to be in a hurry, you go there to relax and take it easy!

The location is stunning, with the balcony to our hut having uninterrupted views of the Pai valley. Our hut was basic with mattresses on the floor, which we pulled on top of each other to give an extremely comfortable cushioned bed. Everything was clean and all facilities worked just fine.

You don’t go to Darling View if you are expecting hotel style comfort and room service on demand. You do go to Darling View if you want to relax in beautiful natural surroundings, relax on huge balconies overlooking stunning scenery, and benefit from the advice of very knowledgeable and helpful hosts.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Pai was one of our true highlights in Thailand. When we arrived at Darling View Point, the staff were friendly. We were shown to a wooden stilted guesthouse with great views along the Pai river and the town below. A really beautiful area, and great view. There was a farm next door and the cows would frequently graze on the land of the guesthouse.

The room was one of four in this particular building, and had two double beds next to eachother which spanned the entire length of the floor, leaving little room for anything else. The bed sheets were not clean and we were bitten by more than just mosquitos. The bathroom was very basic and could have done with a proper clean. The shower was temperemental and on our last day, was cold.

The reason I state this place is not for couples, was that either side of us we had a group of four girls, and a group of five boys. The rooms are very very thin and you can hear everything - even people whispering. I sneezed and one person said 'bless you'. Needless to say, they were a bit loud in the early hours of the morning after the bars kicked out (which is usually not a problem), but with these paper thin walls, we did not get any sleep at all.

The guesthouse was a 10 minute walk from the main Pai town, which was dimly lit at night, but safe.

There was no breakfast option, but you could purchase drinks at the main area. There was a laundery service which took a day and was fine.

I would advise not booking before getting to Pai, as there are so many nicer - and cheaper! - places right along the waterfront as you go over the river from town.

Room Tip: No need to book prior to arrival in Pai, there are plenty of places vacant.
1 Thank Katie L

Travellers are raving about these Pai hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

My wife and I had done our research for hotels in pai, and trusting the reviews on tripadvisor and agoda, we decided on Darling Point for our short 3-day stay in Pai. It was definitely the right choice. As soon as we arrived we were ushered into our room by the owner Peter, who mentioned that perhaps we should think about staying longer in Pai. We didn't understand at the time, but after a few days we definitely didn't want to leave - this little hippie town was so peaceful and relaxing. The rooms were perfect, overlooking one of the most stunning views of countryside and mountains that we found in all of Thailand. Peter helped us find a great place to rent a bike, gave us a map of the area, and even helped us book our future accommodations since we had no cell phone. After a few great days, right before leaving we met the other owner Darling. Se was adorable and asked us if we had been given gifts... W said no, and she took us to the clubhouse to offer us each a bracelet and a small bag. Too nice! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, and please stay in Pai for at least 4 or 5 days - you'll love it!

Room Tip: I believe all rooms overlook the countryside sunsets, so don't worry!
1 Thank Jmorris5181
Daegu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

I found the on-line reviews of this hostel to be very mis-leading. The staff were very dis-organized, presumptive and at times intrusive. The staff constantly tried to manufacture 'hook-ups' between the guests to ensure 'happiness' and 'continued interest in staying'. The lodgings were in my opinion, sub-par. Old and dingy bed sheets, a poorly functioning plumbing system, a toddler sized toilet and a proliferation of bugs. The entry way was over-grown with vegetation to the point I needed to duck every time I passed through. Although my friend and I booked for 2 nights, we only stayed for 1 because we were that appalled with the sleeping / living conditions. I might have had a total of 2 hours sleep that first night but it was anything but restful. I even awoke with puffy eyes. I tried my best to cover every inch of my body to guard against the prolific bugs and possible other creatures lurking under the covers (It was too cold to go without). I even used my towel as a pillow buffer since the case and sheets didn't look like they'd been washed recently and were stained in various places. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a 5-Star resort and I have stayed in my share of low-budget places over my 20 years of traveling, but this was not up to hygiene and basic living standards. I guess if I'd drunken myself into a stupor before going to bed, it would have been more bearable. The worst thing was that the staff were more interested in trying to couple my friend and I with some of the male guests staying at their Hostel, that they didn't even notice our discomfort / dis-contentedness. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and I am sorry that I had to spend one of my night of my vacation enduring that place. Since we also paid for 2 nights but only stayed for 1, it was definitely not worth the $$ we paid even for the first night of accommodations! Unfortunately, I wanted to leave and forget my terrible experience so much that I forgot to video or photo log it for future travelers.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank prisspiggy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We booked and went to this hostel based on the superb reviews but it turned put to be far from what we expected. We knew that we would be staying in bungalows and it would be a little rustic. It was actually quite unpleasant with old bedding that was questionable -- we weren't sure if they had just been washed. The bathroom was old style with a toilet that required a cup of water poured into the bowl to flush. The bathroom was covered with insects and there was no soap left to wash our hands after using the toilet. We didn't use the shower because we were so disappointed with the condition of the room that we left after one night. The owners were very willing to help us and were very welcoming but they wanted us to stay on site and chat with the other boarders. This is a great place to meet people (and hook up as the owner continuously told us that there were many handsome men staying there as well) but we were more interested in exploring the small town and outskirts.

This is a great place for the younger or hippie-type crowd that doesn't mind these accommodations. If you prefer a higher standard or a different kind of social environment, this is not the place to stay.

For what we were looking for, this rating and prior reviews were very misleading. I hope this review will help put more this place into better perspective in regards to ratings and reviews.

• Stayed January 2011