All reviews tanote bay eco cottages taxi service shared bathroom no air conditioning lovely pool breakfast was included scuba diving beach bar beach front fan island pier bungalow taxis thai instructor
Reviewed 21 March 2018

This hotel is an good average - the food is good and the service and staff are great.
But the mattresses are really hard.

There's a lot of stairs there ;-)

Other than that - its located in surroundings thats nice and quiet and wonderful - nice scuba diving area too!! TIP: during full moon - the sight is not so good.

Room Tip: Ask for good mattresses and remember the mosquito balm!!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heidi S
Reviewed 5 March 2018

If you are looking to go diving on Koh Tao, Montalay Beach Resort is a really good option to consider. The resort is lovely and situated right on the beach where there are reefs immediately off-shore. As someone who had never even scuba dived , completing my Padi Open Water qualification was a little bit scary. That said, the team at the school, headed up by Rob was knowledgable and had tons of patience when it came to teaching a complete novice! They were also very agile regarding my required dives as one of my travel companions was celebrating his birthday during our stay and I wasn't keen on diving the morning after. Overall it was a great experience and a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

So we booked this hotel last year and we really liked it, so we booked with Montalay again! Clean, spacious rooms, awesome bathroom and a nice balcony to sit and have a drink (or two). The bed is a bit hard, but we don't really mind.
The facilities are great! Nice pool, right on the beach, good breakfast (although I can't deal with the terrible coffee in Thailand), nice helpful staff, beach bar, diving and snorkeling facilities, a spa (massage) playroom for the kids and a taxi service to the pier (150 TBH pp).
It's really remote, so I'm here to escape the crowds at Sairee Beach. Just grab a Singha or Chang, sit down and watch the stars!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights and we were really not pleased with the service we received. The room did not have air conditioning it had a noisy fan instead. There was no safe available to keep our valuables in. The bathroom was dark, unclean, outdated and during our stay the shower head actually fell off nearly hitting me on the head it was quite a scare. Restaurant staff were unfriendly and the food was vile and that’s an understatement. The maid service was terrible our glasses didn’t even get rinsed that says it all. There are only 2 positives to this hotel the driver service is friendly and the washing service was fast.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank kirvingg
Reviewed 30 January 2018

If your looking to go to Koh Tao and want some peace and quiet as well as a gorgeous beach, coral to snorkel around straight of the sand and a really good quality hotel then I highly recommend this place. The rooms are modern, clean and spacious. The food is really good and the beach is clean and lovely! I also did my open water scuba course here and it was the highlight of my trip. My instructor, Lucy Semple, was fantastic. There is also an instructor there who is called Rob who is the main guy. They are both really good. able to answer every question I had, made me feel confident and comfortable. It was awesome!
There is also a couple of view points at the top of the hill which is walking distance from the hotel. Though it is a pretty steep walk, I recommend taking a change of top and some water with you if you go up there by foot! There is a restaurant at both view points so you can grab a drink or a bit of food to watch the sun set by. View one is by a restaurant called 'Love Koh Tao' and the other is a bit further on round the corner and is called 'Two View'
Both are worth checking out.
The beach gets visitors usually in the afternoon it is at it's busiest but even then it's not packed at all.
Montalay beach resort is situated at Tanote bay on the south east side of the island. If you want to get around they do do taxi pick ups from the hotel, this is the only cheap option but there is a schedule for it, otherwise it can be quite expensive to get anywhere unless you hire a moped.
Hire a moped anyway as it is a tiny little island and worth having a scoot around to check out the other bays and view points.
Basically, its a great place. I wish I was still there. :)

Stayed: January 2018