See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stunning location, beautiful bay, great outdoor seating area, lovely sunset views, plenty of lovely wooden sun loungers, clean, comfy beds...why do they have to spoil it by being so rude?
Everything about this place would be perfect if the staff would turn on a smile and be a bit more in tune with what people expect when they are on holiday/travelling.
We were originally told 1500B for the room, but then when they found out we had kids, they put the price up to 2500B for the same room, on the grounds that we would 'use more water' (this is in a cold shower room...). So at almost £50 a night it was a total rip off, £30 would have been fine. However, it was the only room available in the whole bay so we ended up taking it, and we did have a lovely time, but it made it hard for us to afford to eat that week on our travel budget.
Come on guys, just lighten up and be nice to people who stay with you. They might even come back that way.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank LS6JAN
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013. I got to know the girls from reception and the owner and rented a scooter for around a week.

Firstly rooms were fine, no fridge or hot water, but the Fan was fine, and in Thailand, I personally didnt mind the lack of hot water for a few days!

location is great! Right on Ko Tao's best beach, Chalok Bay.

I met several people who were also staying here and everyone seemed quite pleased with their room(s).

I didn't eat in the restaurant during my stay here as timing never worked out for me.

I've since read a lot of negative reviews about this place and the staff, but I personally didn't experience any negative stuff, and certainly didnt hear about anyone being ripped off. "Treat as you find" I guess. For me the staff were polite and friendly and after I moved to another, cheaper resport just a stones throw away, I kept the scooter I'd hired for another 5 or 6 days. When I returned it, no problems at all.

I'll be coming back to Ko Tao soon and I would certainly consider staying here again.:)

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Ridulously over priced for the below standard accomadation. But to top off the day light robbery. I have never come across hotel staff so rude and unhelpful in all my travels, have been to 6 parts of Thai land in the past 5 weeks of travelling, and the are the worst people I have had to deal with by a long stretch. The manager of the hotel is by far the rudest. And won't help you even if you have the smallest problem. Oh and if you do fancy a lie in on your holiday this is definitely not the place for you. Every morning of our 3 day stay they woke us up at 6:45. With 4 members of staff sweeping gravel out side out door to pick up the leaves. That could easily be done at 10:00. All in all. Stay away!!!!

Date of stay: December 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nice hotel, very simple and wild. We got a room on the second floor with our balcony see view. It was spectacular sunset every day. The service in the hotel is very standard. Close to the hotel we had a breakfast in a local coffee shop. Guys if you go there please keep Koh Tao clean..it is tiny island with no drinking water. So all the water they have comes from rain seasons.And drinking water of course comes from main land.
Generally do not expect much of a service from Big Fish, but it is nice place to stay and take rest from every days routine.

Room tip: the best room in front of the sea.
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is nice located in Chalok beach, walking distance to some bars, restaurants & diving schools. The price of the room is ok (in low season we paid 1000b). However the room has never been cleaned. I agree what other people are writing about the owner. The lady is really tricky with the prices of any additional services (loundry- we paid 60 bahts/kg, while every else it was 40bahts, the trip to Krabi was about 300bahts more expensive than in other agencies). The restaurant is expensive and not good (we had there breakfast only once) The funniest thing happened to us on the last da. We had to check out on 10am, but our bout was leaving at 9pm, so we asked the reception to leave there our bags (it was for free :-) ) & we asked for possibility to shower. The price was ok, 50 bahts/ person...but later it turned ou that the price didn't include towels....not a big money, but leaves some bad impression...

Room tip: Generally it is ok to stay in Big Fish for sake of good location, however try to avoid any additional interaction with the owner lady.
Date of stay: October 2013