“a lovely setting”

Big Fish Dive Resort
Ranked #107 of 147 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I wonder if the staff at this place ever read the reviews people put onto TA! We echo much of what has been said by others. The setting is grand, the rooms basic but fine. Plenty of hot water and the only place we had a choice of two movie channels in English. It was also the only place they wanted paying for wifi, (don't pay - almost all the cafes offer free wifi), and the only place with staff who would act as though you weren't there! We stayed for a week, and right up to our departure the staff never once smiled or said "Hello" to us - and frequently didn't respond when we said it - even though we were using their language! We've travelled a lot in Thailand over the years and this attitude is so atypical. As is their strange way of charging - we suspect that they look at you and make up a number! It's as if they don't expect people to chat to each other, comparing rates. However, if you accept that that's how they are, the setting is very good.

Room Tip: Not a tip about the room, but if you need any tickets or advice about travel plans, we strongly recc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stunning location, beautiful bay, great outdoor seating area, lovely sunset views, plenty of lovely wooden sun loungers, clean, comfy beds...why do they have to spoil it by being so rude?
Everything about this place would be perfect if the staff would turn on a smile and be a bit more in tune with what people expect when they are on holiday/travelling.
We were originally told 1500B for the room, but then when they found out we had kids, they put the price up to 2500B for the same room, on the grounds that we would 'use more water' (this is in a cold shower room...). So at almost £50 a night it was a total rip off, £30 would have been fine. However, it was the only room available in the whole bay so we ended up taking it, and we did have a lovely time, but it made it hard for us to afford to eat that week on our travel budget.
Come on guys, just lighten up and be nice to people who stay with you. They might even come back that way.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LS6JAN
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013. I got to know the girls from reception and the owner and rented a scooter for around a week.

Firstly rooms were fine, no fridge or hot water, but the Fan was fine, and in Thailand, I personally didnt mind the lack of hot water for a few days!

location is great! Right on Ko Tao's best beach, Chalok Bay.

I met several people who were also staying here and everyone seemed quite pleased with their room(s).

I didn't eat in the restaurant during my stay here as timing never worked out for me.

I've since read a lot of negative reviews about this place and the staff, but I personally didn't experience any negative stuff, and certainly didnt hear about anyone being ripped off. "Treat as you find" I guess. For me the staff were polite and friendly and after I moved to another, cheaper resport just a stones throw away, I kept the scooter I'd hired for another 5 or 6 days. When I returned it, no problems at all.

I'll be coming back to Ko Tao soon and I would certainly consider staying here again.:)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Ridulously over priced for the below standard accomadation. But to top off the day light robbery. I have never come across hotel staff so rude and unhelpful in all my travels, have been to 6 parts of Thai land in the past 5 weeks of travelling, and the are the worst people I have had to deal with by a long stretch. The manager of the hotel is by far the rudest. And won't help you even if you have the smallest problem. Oh and if you do fancy a lie in on your holiday this is definitely not the place for you. Every morning of our 3 day stay they woke us up at 6:45. With 4 members of staff sweeping gravel out side out door to pick up the leaves. That could easily be done at 10:00. All in all. Stay away!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nice hotel, very simple and wild. We got a room on the second floor with our balcony see view. It was spectacular sunset every day. The service in the hotel is very standard. Close to the hotel we had a breakfast in a local coffee shop. Guys if you go there please keep Koh Tao clean..it is tiny island with no drinking water. So all the water they have comes from rain seasons.And drinking water of course comes from main land.
Generally do not expect much of a service from Big Fish, but it is nice place to stay and take rest from every days routine.

Room Tip: the best room in front of the sea.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple