See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed in this hostel in March this year. We turned up on the day after not being able to stay at our original choice and they put us in a private bedroom at a decent price for two nights. The free breakfast in the morning wasn’t the best and the hostel was a little far out but we decided to extend our stay by one as we had met some nice people and it was good value for money. On our final day we went diving early and didn’t get back to the hostel until later that day. When we got back we found out that they had moved all our stuff from our room into another room without telling us! So they had basically gone into our room while we were away packed up all our stuff (which was all over the place) and dumped it in the other room all mixed up. They assured us that they transferred everything, but the next morning we couldn’t find my iPod and we had to get a ferry first thing. They were apologetic and had a few more looks, and then assured me it was in my luggage somewhere. It never turned up - I had been travelling for 4 months at that point and hadn’t lost anything, stayed at the hive and they lost something for me.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

The dorm room consisted of 12 beds squished into a a very tiny room. As a result he beds were maybe a foot or two away from one another. There were no plugs or lights for each bunk. I was only able to find two outlets in the entire room which were always occupied and no where near my bed. They advertised that they had air conditioning but it was only on from 1-3pm and 8pm-9am. There was an ensuite for the 12 bed dorm but they don’t even provide toilet paper. It was also difficult to get any bathroom time with 12 people and one bathroom/shower. The beds are decent but the blanket provided was so small it only covered about half my body. There were also NO LOCKERS and NO LOCK ON THE DORM ROOM. They didn’t even give us a key or anything when we checked in. We had to carry all our valuables with us when we left which was a major pain. It was also fairly far from the beach and down a very dark dirt road that would be a little nerve wracking for a solo traveller. We booked two nights but we only stayed one. I can’t speak for the privates but I definitely would not recommend the dorm rooms. For the same price or maybe 50 baht more you can find a place with toilet paper, lockers, outlets, and a better location.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2018

The Hive became a place I hold so close to my heart. I was a solo traveller and the hostel is the best I have stayed in. I was instantly given a warm welcome and made to feel like part of the family. The girls who run the place are amazing - so friendly, helpful and fun!
I was supposed to stay a few days and ended up staying nearly 2 weeks. I would have stayed longer if I didn't have a flight to catch.
The rooms were clean with comfortable beds, air con worked every night and very strong wifi.
The free coffee or tea and bread in the morning is great as well!
I will coming back soon to join the Hive again!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

The main drawback of this hostel is the location, it is quite a far walk from the beach and the road to the hostel is not lit at night. There are also no lockers and the dorms are left unlocked at all times. There were three things stolen from residents during my two night stay. Toilet paper and towels are not provided, but breakfast (toast with ham and coffee/tea) is. Beds are some of the hardest I’ve slept on and the blankets provided are also quite small. The ladies that work there are really nice, but with the location being as far as it is and many other cheap options on Koh Tao, I wouldn’t stay here again.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This is the best hostel i’ve ever stayed in. Fell in love with the staff, the guests and Koh Tao in general. Don’t miss this if you’re travelling alone; you’ll immediately be part of the family! The place is amazing to chill and meet new people, the crew regularly organises barbecues, and sometimes they join the guests to go out at night.
Just know you will spend more time there than expected (booked 2 nights at first, ended up staying more than 2 weeks- no regrets though), and whenever you’ll really have to go, you’ll leave a piece of your heart at the Hive.

I had the best time in Koh Tao, thanks to you girls!!! See you soon ❤️