New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

PP Casita
Johannesburg
“Not for me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

To sum up our feelings - we really didn't like this hotel. The room was absolutely tiny and you couldn't swing a cat in it. The bathroom was not great and was also tiny. The swimming pool area, although rather pretty, was a total waste of time because the swimming pool water was so hot that it was worse than taking a bath. Really we got in and got straight back out because the water was horribly warm. I only mention this because many PP hotels do not have a swimming pool and so you might be tempted to stay here because of the swimming pool option but honestly, don't let that tempt you because the pool is not really usable or enjoyable. The breakfast was just ok.

I must be honest and say that perhaps our feelings about the hotel were also spurred on by the fact that we really didn't like Phi Phi. We were so disappointed by the place and to be honest, I wanted to leave after 1 day. We had never been to Thailand before and were very excited to see Phi Phi and the famous Maya Bay, only to be totally disapppointed by both. Phi Phi is just filled with hoards of people, it's dirty, the accommodation options are very average (unless you are prepared to pay big bucks and to stay in one of the 5* resorts), it's noisy, the swimming beach is useless (way too shallow and the water temp much too hot because of this). All in all, if I was advising a friend on the best places to go in Thailand, Phi Phi would not be on the list. In fact, any of you that are in 2 minds about whether to go there or not, really don't bother. There are such other fantastic places to visit in Thailand and the days that you were going to allocate to Phi Phi would be better spent elsewhere. We were sorry that we wasted 3 days on Phi Phi!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. We went across the street to The Rock and paid much less -- and had views of the beach.

There were some very disappointing features about this hotel:
1. The bathroom smelled like a septic tank, I couldn't smell through my nose, that's how bad it was. They did something, after we complained, but they definitely had a sewage problem because the one side of the hotel property had a faint poop smell when walking outside.

2. This is not a good place for a group of 3 travelers (better for 2 or 4). We booked a room for 2 people, but showed up with 3 because Agoda (the booking site) didn't have an option for 3 people. It seems that most hotels in Thailand charge per person rather than per room. We expected to pay a fee to have our 3rd person stay with us (this worked in other hotels, and seemed to be the suggestion by other travelers in a group of 3) -- but the hotel wouldn't let us do this. They would only allow us to pay for a second room, which was too pricey. In trying to work this out, the staff was not friendly -- they were short with us, and went on to help other people before helping us to resolve the problem. We at least wanted to swim in the pool, but they charged $20 USD for my brother if he wanted to use the pool (even though my mom and I were paying for the hotel room). This seemed really expensive, and they didn't even have someone at the pool to check. (It would've been nice if they humored us by saying "Sorry you can't stay here, but you can swim here for free.")

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Erin B

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Granted I was not in a good mood when I arrived at Phi Phi Island to see how utterly ruined and filthy the place has become since I was last there (10 years ago), and I did not stay in Phi Phi Casita... however I felt compelled to write so others will be warned. I did have a look at the bungalows and found the rooms dingy and overpriced. What really turned me off was when I went to the front desk to enquire about the price, an asian couple asked me to help them with an issue they were having with the front desk staff. The guest had prepaid two nights reportedly about an hour before, and had since found out he needed to travel the next day so he was asking for his money for the second night back (he was prepared to forgo the first night). The receptionist was having none of it and said they had a no refund policy. I offered to buy his room and she refused to allow it. The guest asked if he could talk to a manager and she said no. I asked why I could not take his room and she told me it was none of my business. So I left. Do yourselves a favour and stay away from Phi Phi. It is overrun, over crowded and because of this, understandably not good value. It's not a good representation of Thailand and neither was that woman at Phi Phi Casita. Nasty.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Great location, only a short walk from the pier and there is a staff member waiting to carry your luggage. Rooms were average, they were clean but abit old. The breakfast was good and pool is nice. Only short walk to the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

...But that's about it!

We found the front office staff to be quite rude which was a surprise as everyone we had encountered in Thailand had been so delightful and helpful. Komal refused to listen to us when we informed her on more than one occasion that our shower was blocked, so much so we had to prove it by taking a shower and show the house keeping staff how the water had spread to the whole bathroom and was getting higher. This was finally resolved after a number of conversations but not before we were told to "shower by the pool instead"! No thanks! Other than that experience and the decoration of squashed mosquitos all over the walls in our bedroom the place was fine. But by far the least favourite place of our whole trip and I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone. Go to Phi Phi Palmtree down the road... much nicer!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends