“unpleasant check in otherwise ok.”

Phi Phi Villa Resort
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Kells, Ireland
“unpleasant check in otherwise ok.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights deluxe villa. Positives; friendly porter to carry your luggage to and from pier. Big pool and nice sunbeds. Quiet part of island so relaxing. Breakfast ok.
However I had a very negative experience at check in, the happy holiday mood which had grown as I walked from the pier to the hotel quickly vanished when on arrival to the reception desk I was met with a sullen faced young boy who didnt smile or say hello, simply barked "you have reservation?"when I said yes and gave my name (I was still smiling at this stage in my happy holiday vibe) he then again barked at me "show me reservation" At this stage holiday mood quickly sank, I gave him my reservation confirmation and placed our two passports on the desk. He looked at reservation and said "passport" At this stage as I genuinely was almost mute from shock at being shouted at for no reason I pointed to the two passports where he then barked back "only need one" looking at me as if I was the stupidist creature he'd ever seen and waiting for me to hand him the passport even though it was literally at his fingertips. This experience really clouded my stay at the resort. The next day I asked to speak to a manager but was fobbed off and I have in the meantime e-mailed my complaint to the hotel. The other reception staff I found to be ok but this boy seriously needs to go back to training school to learn how to greet guests on arrival to his resort. Also for the money I dont think the deluxe villas are worth it, stay at the cheaper villas. Another negative is the crap air conditioning in our room, even though someone allegedly came to fix it, it didnt improve, nights were unbearably hot

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for deluxe villa also no true sea views so dont pay extra for those either.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buffy01
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I am not sure why some people think this hotel is paradise. The island location surely is, but not the hotel. We stayed here 5 nights, at about USD 100 per night. I tried to extend checkout by a few hours and was told that to do so I would be charged 500 baht per hour! The staff even tried to stiff me on a so-called missing glass from the room when I was collecting my 1,000 baht key deposit. It is not advertised but the shower and sink water is brackish. Some may not appreciate this inconvenience.

I had to keep ‘fixing’ the door handle to our ‘villa’ as it kept getting loose. Without these adjustments it would have fallen off. The toilet seat was broken. The shower backed up each time we used it. Clean towels were available after 6:00 PM - usually. There was one pump bottle of thin liquid soap that was to be used as a face soap, shower soap and shampoo. I had to buy a spray to kill the mosquitoes in the room each evening. The staff were generally unfriendly and unsympathetic to the lack of towels etc etc. Most of them should not be in the service industry. The pool was nice until you looked closely. A number of ceramic tiles have separated from the base of the pool and the grout on the side walls has black algae.

Now, on a more positive note. We were met at the ferry and shown to the hotel – a nice gesture. The breakfast was pleasant and varied. The sheets on the bed were clean. Wireless worked in the computer room, the breakfast area and by the pool.

Room Tip: get a quieter villa in the back
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DennisUSA
switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

+: next to the beach, booking office at the reception, private villa/room,
-: far from main street of PhiPhi (restaurants, shopping, diving center) and far from harbor. Many TV channels but bad reception, old style and overvalued price!
=: even it was not a bad experience, I would go and try another hotel next time (look at my other review)

The hotel is good but I think it is too expensive compared to what you get. I tried another hotel after staying 2 nights, and this second hotel was much better even a bit more expensive.

What I liked at this hotel is that it is next to the beach and is in a quiet place of PhiPhi => I would really recommend this hotel for families or couple looking for quiet place (kind of private as it is in a "corner" of PhiPhi).

But you have to think to walk 15-20 minutes from the harbor where you land from the ships (from/to phuket or Krabi).
Therefore, I would not recommend this hotel for people looking for shopping or places to have fun as around the hotel there are only few attractions which close early in the evening.

=> Location is good and bad, depending what you are looking for!!!!!

Swimming pool is nice, but not really for swimming. It is more a place where you can relax and meet the monkeys looking for some food!

Finally, rooms are clean and good as it is a kind of Villa/bungalow as you would imagine due to the name of the hotel. I really liked this style and really felt on holiday which was fantastic. Unfortunately, I did not really like the bathroom which is really old style and not modern at all.

In conclusion, I think this hotel a bit overprice and I would suggest you pay less if you go there or try my 2nd hotel review on PhiPhi which was much better (location, room, swimming pool, breakfast), but of course a bit more expensive... (but worth to spend the extra money)

Room Tip: take a taxi boat to go around PhiPhi (max 1200 baht 3.5 hours)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ehlstudent
Fayence, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Despite a good location and facilities, this was the worst run hotel we have stayed at for a long time. The (Luxury) room was spacious but the bathroom filthy; despite asking management to clean it and provide a basin plug, nothing was done. The first morning there was no water at all. The breakfast was terrible; we dont expect too much in Thailand but this was the worst ever. Anything we brought to their attention was just greeted with "Don't worry Papa"!
We had the impression that Koh Phi Phi is so popular and generally frequented by low end (indescriminate) young people that the resorts and resturants don't have to bother to give good service.

Room Tip: Luxury rooms well worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael D

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed in the Deluxe Family Suite for 6 nights, which is tucked away behind the pool area. There is 2 good size bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a lounge area in between which we had a fold up bed set up for our son - 5 of us fitted very comfortably. The pool area is lovely and we shared our time between that and the beautiful beach at the front, depending on the tides. Carpe Diem which is at the front of the hotel is really cool to relax and have a drink, with live music in the late afternoons which was nice.

The walk in to the heart of town takes about 10 minutes but there are shops / bars / cafes all along the way so it never seemed to take long. A bar called U2 sits on a small hill along the way and has the most stunning views across the bay.

Our "kids" aged 18 to 22, loved their stay here also and thought the nightlife was surprising good given the quiet feeling of the island during the day.. plenty going on at Do Jo's bar late afternoon and the crowd then goes on to the Beach Parties afterwards which is in the opposite side of town - so we didn't hear it at all from where we were, but kids didn't have far to walk home afterwards.

The down side to this hotel is the breakfast is awful. I only ate there once and after that went out for breakfast to other cafes which wasn't a problem as there are many to chose from. Also the beds are on the hard side, but it seems most Thai accommodation share this trait.

I can honestly say that on all our walks, I didn't see one other resort that I thought looked better than this one. Contrary to a couple of other comments here on T.A., there are 2 bungalows that face the beach with unobstructed sea views which would be lovely. Don't go with 5 star expectations and you won't be disappointed. Can't wait to go back one day for a longer stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family