“right on the beach” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
baroda , India
“right on the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

breakfast served was very good.the location is excellent. i would not say for other to 4-8 numbered hotels in the list as they are in the village. the view of phi phi ley from the beach side is excellent. the price of beer (in minibar of the room) is same or less as if you buy from local shop. the other nice thing is that they provide free long tail boat service when you arrive at the pier and when you leave the hotel.
the bad point is it is a bit of walk on the hill side to go to your room. i am 33 and in good shape i would say but still the climb is not my cup of tea(if i like my cup many times a day) Also i paid 1900 thb a night. the room i got is not of that standard. though i took a superior villa as it is called; it was basic, i understand they are renovating but still the price is a lot compared to other places of same standard in thailand. the bathroom is not upto the average standard.

Breakfast is fantastic and you get excellent view from the dinning area which will make your stay worthwhile. other hotels on phi phi will not give you this view even if they charge more then bayview. if you are in for the view then the room, this is the place. you can reach long beach by just crossing the rocks on the left of the hotel and swimming is recommended there rather then in front of the hotel. i am rating this property "very good" only for its view rather then the rooms and the service. you should come to stay on phi phi, if you are looking for peace and exploration of other small islands, scuba etc.

Room Tip: most of the rooms have to be reached by taking a short hike. seniors should take this into considera...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank khelan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Maroochydore, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My partner and I (late 20's) stayed here in April 2012 after attending a wedding on Koh Samui. We travelled from Krabi on the ferry after a few days in Ao Nang and arrived at Ton Sai Bay pier on the early ferry around 10.30am. We found a man at the end of the pier waving a sign that said Bay View Resort and even though they didn't know what time we were coming a long boat was waiting there for us and the other passengers and our names were checked off the list. The boat ride took about five minutes along the gorgeous bay and we arrived to the resort shortly after. The guys loaded and unloaded our heavy bags for us and the reception is right on the beach. The reception weren't the friendliest we had encountered on our trip and we had to wait a while to be served however it was busy with all of us arriving at once and they were polite enough and had no problems with our online booking through hotels.com. Plus the views more than made up for anything else! As we had arrived well before check in (about 11am) our room wasn't yet ready but we were able to leave our bags and were told to come back in an hour. We had lunch in the restaurant next door on the beach and the guy who served us was one of the lovliest people we met with a big grin and helpful service. He was new and he did such a great job. The food was delicious and cocktails excellent, not as cheap as other places but I knew Phi Phi would be more expensive as it's an island and still great value compared to Australia! Our room was lovely, a bit of a hike up a few flights of steps but one of the staff carried our bags up the hill (I felt very guilty!) and it was good to walk off all the lovely food we had eaten! We had a basic room which still had a nice view of the bay, air con, a balcony with chairs, confy double bed and it was quite large with enough storage space for luggage. The shower was great, large and no gap in the roof as it's covered by plastic now so no mossies inside. People commented on it being run down but it looked quite well maintained, the gardens were gorgeous and natural with butterflies, flowers everywhere and the bungalows were all separate and looked newly painted. They explained about the air con needing to be on before we could have the shower running hot and that was no issue as it was so warm anyway! We headed straight for the beach, it is a fantastic location as the resort is in a cosy little corner of Ton Sai Bay so you have a little beach that is free of boats and mostly free of people with the resort providing pillows and sun lounges at the bar on the beach. It was full moon time so the tides changed from very shallow to very deep but with no currents it was perfect for floating around, swimming and snorkelling (although not many fish were spotted off the beach). We took a private speed boat tour that afternoon organised through reception and it was great, all the tourist spots are visited so lots of people and boats around but snorkelling was still great and it was great value for the tiny amount we paid! The walk along the beach into town is lovely, restaurants are all along the beach and we ate at hippies which I loved for it's laid back atmosphere, great music and the seafood bbq was amazing! It was so lovely to have no roads after the hectic pace of Bangkok, Samui and Krabi! The next day we hired a long boat and snorkelled at Bamboo and Mosquito islands which had the best snorkelling and explored the town for some shopping. Prices were more here but again, still cheaper than at home and lots of places like the family mart where you can buy drinks and snacks cheaply. We had massges in town too which were great and dinner at a different restaurant, all of them are on the beach and all the food seemed pretty nice and well priced. We walked through the town to the other side of the island where there is a huge bay with lots of sun beds set up along the beach and also parasailing and water sports. The resort was about a 20 minute or so walk along the beach track to Long beach which was worth the walk and had we been staying longer we would have spent a day or two on the beach there. The resort is also linked to Arayaburi and they have a pool with a swim up bar at the back of the resort. Breakfast that was provided each day had good selection also. All up this resort was fantastic, we loved our stay here and are now looking to return. People seem to compain about little things so we went with an expect anything attitude and if you don't let small things bother you it will be a fantastic trip. :)

Room Tip: The higher rooms had better views but all rooms seemed to have sea views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
australia qld
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We spent 4 days at Bay View. Resort Phi Phi Island and where not very happy, from the time we arrived at reception and had to argue about our room we booked, a double was not available, only a twin, we hat to take another room, a double with little view at the top of the Resort, the reception was not very helpful, after requesting to talk to the person in charge a large rude lady? yelled and screamed at us about the complaint.
The resort is built on the side of a hill and you need to be very fit to walk up and down.
The pool area is average, nothing like the internet site shows.
The beach area is a disgrace.
The grounds around the area need a lot of attention.
The Resort is in a very run down state nothing like the internet photo's, I think they where taken when the resort was new.
The only plus was the view.
No information was given about the resort when we checked in we had to walk around to find anything.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tuk Tuk to take you up to your room. eat at Khun Van restaurant along the water front o...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank petmil

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Albany, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I recently spent 3 nights here, and the grounds of the resort and lobby are beautiful. I had an awesome view from my bungalow and really enjoyed it. My room itself was a bit of a let down. I had lizards in my room (which I learned later that they will eat the mosquitoes - so thank you, geckos) and they freaked me out a bit. My toilet did not reliably flush, and the bathroom was not cleaned while I was there. Additionally my room was not made up the first day I was there and I only had one towel and bathcloth.

I didn't think the hotel staff were particularly friendly or helpful, nor were any of the other locals on the island for that matter. Phi Phi is definitely worth seeing if you've never visited before, but a short stay (one or two nights is more than enough to see it). Even though there are no cars on the island, the people on bikes and scooters will run you down just the same!! Watch out!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank southerngirl510
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I recently stayed here with an organized tour. It was a short walk from the pier to the hotel and it is accessed off the actual beach. A great open air lobby greets you which looks out onto the beach where there are loungers set up for hotel guests. It's the only one on this small strip of beach so it's nice and private. I wouldn't recommend swimming here as not too far off was what looked like a sewerage pipe leading out into the water. There is a little bar to the right which was a great little spot and you have their restaurant which serves all meals with a little bar counter too to the left. We had our breakfast here daily which was a reasonable spread covering everything that you would ordinarily have. My best part was getting to sit out at the tables and chairs on the actual sand while enjoying my meal and looking out onto the beautiful ocean and scenery. It was magical. The weather was really hot(February) however before you settle down at your table there is a gent who places an umbrella at your table. (a big thank you to him as it seemed like a tough manual job constantly putting out these umbrellas in the sweltering sun)The dinner buffet that we had was a great spread to and I enjoyed the different dishes. The rooms themselves are a hike up to them which I didn't mind at all. It added to the character of the resort. All the pathways looked attractive and had flowers here and there that one could admire on your walk up. Don't forget to stop and look at the view as you walk upto your room. If you are traveling with small kids in prams I recommend asking for a room on the first tier as I saw parents battling with a pram having to push it up to the very top. The rooms are basic and have a rustic feel which I feel suits the location dead right. One doesn't choose this resort for luxury and service excellence. The room itself was clean,basic and met my needs.Each room has a gorgeous wooden balcony with two arm chairs. Perfect for sitting on and looking out onto a picture postcard view of the ocean and surrounding greenery and scene. Gorgeous! Gorgeous!Gorgeous! If you don't feel like sitting outside for too long you can even lay on your bed and look out the windows onto the same scene. It felt surreal.For a fun exploring trip out in Phi Phi this hotel was more than sufficient for my needs.The only downside that we had on check out was that one of our travellers was charged for an item missing from the room that wasn't there in the first place. Always double check that all items are there on check-in as you don't want to get caught out for something you didn't take. I recommend taking this seriously in all hotels that you travel to in the region as I had noticed at my first hotel in Phuket they had a price allocated to every item in the room in the event that you wanted to buy it. (I kid you not...every item) I guess as there are loads of travelers that probably knick items while traveling through these parts they have to try their best to raise awareness of costs and cover themselves too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends