See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 December 2013

First of all we were completely cheated when we readt the first reviews in TripAdvisor and in Booking.com. This hostel was really below our expectations and was by far our worst accomodation in Thailand.

The first impression of the place was very poor. There were lot of ants in the room and many dead insects inside of the lamp (yes, only one lamp). The room was really dark and almost nothing worked (no Internet, not TV... as promised). Even there was no warm water and the water evacuation system simply didn´t work. In little words, a sinister atmosphere, rather a 2nd world war barrack than a super relax destination.

All this things could be forgotten but the fact that made us to move definitely (and to loss 2 of the 3 nights that we have paid) is that you´re completely trapped unless you want to pay between 1400 BHT (day) / 2400 BHT (night) each time you want to move to the main part of the island. Of course you may do some plans from this place but you must be prepared to pay 4/6 times more than if you book it from the main village. You may ask: why to move?

- as you can imagine, there is nothing to do in the Rendez Vous.
- the beach that is just beside the hostel is really nice but with lower tide, water gets brown and there are a lot of rocks so that you can´t walk safely in the water.
- there is no nightlife in the place. There are some little places but nobody in.

To sum up, not recommendable at all unless you want to understand on your own the definition of "captive client". Dirty, remote, expensive and overvaluated.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Critico_de_ocio
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I'll apologise in advance as this is going to be a long one!

My boyfriend and I had planned a 5 night stay in Koh Phi Phi on our second week in Thailand. It coincided with my birthday so as you can imagine I wanted it to be a special trip. We had initially booked to stay at Rendez Vous for the whole 5 nights. I had spent a long time looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor for accommodation in Koh Phi Phi and Rendez Vous seemed to be the best (read carefully, good reviews are mostly from people who haven't stayed there). It was only after we had confirmed the booking and paid the deposit that the terrible reviews started to appear. I'll say this from the outset... BELIEVE EVERY BAD REVIEW YOU SEE HERE! It was due to this I cut the stay from 5 to 3 nights... thank goodness I did!

We had previously arranged with Bruno for a transfer to the hotel which is located at the northern end of the island. It cost 600thb for the both of us. We were met at the pier by a longtail boatman who just nodded at us then took us on a 10 minute walk (with me and my boyfriend carrying all our bags!) over what can only be described as a rubbish tip, down to the beach on the other side. The boat ride to Loh Lana Bay takes around 10 to 15 minutes.

On our arrival at Loh Lana Bay the heavens opened and it poured with rain... we should have realised that this was a bad omen! After a short walk across the beach we then had to travel in the sidecar of a motorbike to the hotel 5 mins drive away.

We had to sit in the hotel reception/bar/restaurant and wait for Bruno who had returned from diving and had gone for a shower. We sat and had a ridiculously expensive coffee to kill the time. Once he was ready he took us on the same motorbike and sidecar to our room which was quite far from the main hotel. He opened the door very quickly went through the wifi codes which were on a note behind the door then left us. It was only once he had left and I looked around it all started to sink in...

The room was AWFUL!!! Dark and dirty. To call this accommodation basic would be an understatement. It is disgusting that this person charges so much money for sub standard rooms and calls it standard! It's an out and out con! I stood in the dingy room and nearly cried.

We decided to have a look around the "village" and as it was early evening, get something to eat. The village itself seems like it doesn't belong. To me it seemed like the 5 star resorts just a short walk away had built the village to please the tourists, a "quaint Thai Village" so to speak. We did have a lovely meal at a Pad Thai restaurant but by 10pm every single person had vanished from sight! The only people still awake were the people working in the bars and us! If you want nightlife then get a hotel in Tonsai, this place is scarily quiet.

That night we found a different hotel at Tonsai however the next day we still had to tell the owners we were checking out early. We felt so uncomfortable about this as they were just so unapproachable. We spoke to Peth and told her we were leaving. BE AWARE you get NO money back if you are dissatisfied... it's in their policy. I'm so glad I had reduced my stay to 3 nights from 5 before we had arrived.

To conclude I would say Rendez Vous (tbh Koh Phi Phi in general is an overpriced tourist trap) is plain awful, don't waste your money. Even if you wanted a quiet retreat, there are quiet places to stay round Tonsai Bay. I'd rather stay in a 2 star bnb in Blackpool than go back!

Room Tip: Don't bother booking if you can't get a deluxe room here. The standard rooms are disgusting!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RachieFazza
Reviewed 27 December 2013

First of all: If you want to have parties and drinks in the main part (Ban Laem Trong) of koh phi phi, the accommodation will not fit your needs. The Phi Phi Village is a quiet and relaxing spot, which can be only reached by boat. We contacted the hotel before and the picked us up at the main pier which cost us 300 bhat per person.

The room we got was not the one, presented on the pictures on the internet, but was nice. We only had a small aunt problem in our room, which could be solved with a spray.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay, except the very high prizes.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2013

very good place to stay...ideal to relaxing ...far from crowded phi phi village,good size of deluxe rooms...no tv (no problem...)
european food in the bar but very good (and spicy) thai food in the restaurants near by...excellent

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We booked this hotel through booking.com and were a bit surprised when the owner, Bruno, toulk us to our room which was located 300m from their hotel. The room didn't look anything like the pictures shown on booking.com. In the meantime the owner has changed the pictures, but still it doesn't look anything like the room we were "dumped" in. It seemed like there were bugs (itchy all the time), there was no tv and there was nothing about this room that made us feel relaxed and comfy. There was no cleaning after our first night and the breakfast was very poor. I would advice not to book the breakfast in advance and have it somewhere else in the village.
The first impression we got from Bruno is that he really doesn't care about his guests, but only about finding ways to fill his pockets with money. Also his French employees seem uninterested and not enthousiastic at all. I guess they expected to come to paradise, but unfortunately this isn't the case.. We didn't book the speedboattrip as it was way too expensive, but we booked a longtailboat trip at a local place that was really worth the money!
I would suggest to avoid this place because it will bring you bad memories and a hole in your pocket! Also be aware of all the fake reviews written by Bruno himself (as I can tell from the poor English..)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple