“Awesome Pirates House and restaurant - For pirates and non-pirates :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pirates House

and 1 more site!
Pirates House
Ranked #13 of 60 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Awesome Pirates House and restaurant - For pirates and non-pirates :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Service: There was a little bit variety on the service from day to day. I think they might have been training people. The owner, though, was doing his best to give the best service possible.

Cleanliness: The only complain I had was that we had to ask for towels if we needed new ones every day. They said it was to save the environment because of the problems with washing machines. There were no washing machines for towels on the island so they had to send it to the mainland.

Room: The rooms were kind of funny with pirate style and all. Some of the lights did not work, but the overall experience was good.

location: The location was the best, really; no long way to walk after the party was over. And the walk to the beach was like 5 minutes.

value: We were 6 guys traveling for party, fun and sun and we got what we expected both from the guest house and from the Island. Food was great at Pirates House, especially the Indian food and Pizza. We all had a great time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Solfaktor

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Service: Konal, who seemed to be the wonder of the place was doing everything he could to give good service. Had the other personnel been at the same level this place would have been more than great. One simply cannot expect the same kind of service on Phi Phi that one get's other places. However, if you ask Konal anything he will help you so the best thing would be to ask him instead of the other staff.

Sleep quality: It is a bit noise before midnight, but this did not concern me as I was never in bed before 0100. I slept like a baby in those beds and the sheets where clean and good quality ones.

Cleanliness: Here I have seen both better and worse, and I suppose people have different standards of what is acceptable. I never noticed any problems with the cleanliness.

Location: Location is probably the best on the Island as it is in the dead center. If you want to experience a hectic party-phi phi this should be the place to stay.

Rooms: The rooms are not brand new, but I liked them as they had this kind of Pirate Style. It was a little different from what I have seen before.

Value: I thought value was great for this place. I have stayed a couple of other places in Phi Phi before.

Value:

Room Tip: The best rooms are located above the restaurant furthest inside. Those rooms are much nicer and bigg...
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The place is very central and has a nice feel to it. All the staff seems very friendly and helpful. The beds are very comfortable and I experienced the room as decent and clean. There is a resturant rigth beneath the rooms which serves very good indian food. All in all this is a very good choice if you are in the mid budget range

Kathmandu, Nepal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

we stayed there for a week and its not that bad as i read here in few of comments.I stayed in room no 8 and there were no bugs around,bed sheets were clean but i agree that bathroom need little bit of painting but then i thought its a pirate house so it is suppose to look like that..air con work fine.Yes,the lock needs to be fixed and noise from other bar is irritating.
Food is very good in the restaurant.Thai food and Pizza plus Indian ..very good food..
as for me only the bad part is loud music from the other bar and in phi phi most of people party till 2 and 3 so ..it was never a problem from me as i come to room around 12 or 1 when the music had already stopped and i sleep late next morning....overall its a kind of place where u would like to stayed for your holiday ..its a pirate house and it look like one too.love it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

To be fair the negative reviews that I've read here are pretty much spot on, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the overall review needs to be terrible, or that it's not a suitable place to stay. I took the small room (number 2) - others might be different. Let's look at a couple of points:

Room standard and cleanliness - frankly, not great. There were a few bugs crawling around the bathroom, but nothing major. The place could have used a better sweep, and there was hair around in the bathroom, but the sheets were very clean which is always a good sign. There was AC, but it took me a while to figure out that it was blowing cold air and not just circulating the existing air - if you need your room cold, then it's no use - Personally, I prefer a moderately warm room (25-27 degrees), so it was fine for me. There was a television that I didn't use and lights beside the bed that didn't work; apart from that, the room was pretty bare. There was a weak wifi signal that worked (just) by the window but not 2 meters away on the bed.

Security - pathetic. The owner had told me that there was a safe box - there wasn't in my room (the small room), although maybe he has one in reception. The door lock was a joke frankly. Since I was expected to pay 1000 baht if I lost the key, I decided to leave it in the room and use a cardboard business card instead - seriously! - you could open the door in less than a second with a cardboard business card, not even a plastic credit card. There was a bolt on the inside for when you were in the room, but anyone who felt like walking in an taking things while you were away could easily do so. I did not have anything stolen, but I would not feel comfortable leaving valuables there.

Service - Konal, the owner seemed like a decent guy, genuinely trying to do his best to please customers. However the staff in the restaurant are pretty useless, and they seem to be "responsible" for the guesthouse too, but it's clearly an annoyance for them. One of them in particular (maybe his son / nephew?) is just plain surly. I didn't see a single smile from any of them, nor any desire to help customers in any way at all. I did see customers leaving in frustration at the lack of service though. When I came to check in, I was told to come back in an hour or so and when I also tried to check out at 8h30, there was nobody to be seen - everything closed up and boarded. However, as I said, Konal was good and helpful, we communicated by SMS and all was fine - he was easy going about me leaving my bag in the room after checking out and also borrowing a towel for my boat trip (after the checkout).

Food - I cannot vouch for the standard of the food since I did not eat there, but I can say that it takes a while to arrive judging by the customers I saw cancelling their orders and leaving. Having seen the kitchen / washing up area, I'm glad I didn't eat there!

Noise - Yep, it's true, you will not be able to sleep before 1am even with Ear plugs. However, if you're planning to stay out for a drink or two (the beach bars go on until much later), then this is irrelevant.

Value - well, this is not bad I guess. I paid 1300 in high season, which is about half the price that I paid for one of the "resort" type places on the previous night, where the noise from the beach bars was audible at 3am or later. Sure the standard was lower than the resort, but the location was better for me, and at half the price. In Phuket, or Krabi, this would be a 500 Baht room really; however prices in Phi Phi in March are high.

Summary. If you're looking for a fairly cheap place in the centre of town, don't need to sleep early, and have no expectations for service, security or cleanliness, then this place is actually a decent option. However, if any of the above things concern you, then you're probably better off spending a bit more and heading elsewhere. Personally, I think I can get a better deal elsewhere.

1 Thank Timontheroad