My wife and I just completed a 10 night stay at the Anantara on Koh Phangan which overall was a very enjoyable experience...but given the price point and reputation, should have been a little bit better.
First with the good points:
We decided to book the resort's private speedboat transfer from our hotel on Koh Samui directly to the Anantara, which went off flawlessly, and was both unique and enjoyable. Even though it's rather costly (8000 Baht roundtrip) it does save a lot of time and for us it was worth the extra expense. After being warmly greeted at the hotel, we were offered an upgrade to a seaview room complimentary, and also a further upgrade to an Ocean Garden Pool Suite, which we decided to accept at an additional cost of 3000 Baht per night. This turned out to be a good decision for such a long stay, as the room offered a large private outdoor area, private plunge pool, outdoor shower, reserved loungers and fantastic beach view/access. Each night the turndown service offered complimentary sweets, which were very enjoyable, and during the day complmentary neck rubs were offered by the staff on the beach which was a nice touch. The room also included a generous supply of complimentary gin, vodka and rum. The location of the hotel was excellent, directly on a high-quality beach and a short walk to a lovely town filled with good restaurants and massage parlors, both of which we used extensively during our stay.
This is where I expected more from a hotel of this reputation and cost, but unfortunately the service was at best inconsistent, and at worst totally inept. For example at the daily buffet breakfast, most of the time the staff were standing around doing nothing, while many tables had dirty plates waiting to be collected. The nightly turndown service was also inconsistent; many times used towels were taken but not replaced, and delivery of the local newspaper was completed on some but not all nights. Conditioner in the bathroom ran out and took 2 days to replace. On the day of checkout, as we were finalizing our packing, 2 staff came to check the room and minibar for any missing items. Although we realize this is necessary, this process can be done more discreetly, and if anything is missing that's why a credit card is on file. Guests who are paying the prices commanded at such a resort generally have little use or interest in taking a flashlight or umbrella, and this is the first time we have experienced such a process at any hotel. Finally, during a 10 day stay, not once did any member of management or staff ask about our experience, or what they could do to improve our vacation. I realize that none of these items by themselves are major, however at a resort of this reputation we expected close to perfection, and in the area of Service and Management there is a big gap to close.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked discreetly at the base of a lush mountain, amongst towering coconut palms and just steps from the powdery sands of Thong Nai Pan Noi beach, 64 private pool suites and villas in seven distinctive layouts face the turquoise sea. Comprising indoor and outdoor living spaces ranging from 100 to 250 square metres, each sanctuary reflects its own charming character. In natural harmony with the exotic surrounds, wood and stone features provide a striking backdrop to rich hand woven silks. Luxury comforts inside range from a “blissful dreams” mattress adorned with 500 thread count linens, to a 32 inch flat screen TV with home theatre entertainment, and outside to an indulgent private plunge pool.Guests keep in touch with complimentary WiFi throughout the resort, accompanied by an extensive library with PCs alongside international magazines and newspapers ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ and Prestigia so you can book your Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Hotel Koh Phangan
- Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villa Resort And Spa
- Rasananda Hotel Ko Phangan
- Rasananda Resort Ko Phangan